White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2001, 12:08 PM
Banned

Default Question

I was going to ask this last week but I kept getting an "internal server error" and then forgot about it...

With hindsight being 20/20 and knowing what we know now, would you still make the Siro/Wells trade?

This is knowing that Siro would not pitch at all this season and that Wells would struggle and then go down halfway through. Remember that we also gave up Brian Simmons and Kevin Burned and got Gary Glover.
Old 07-24-2001, 12:48 PM
WSI Personality

No way I would make the trade. Siro is young, and D Wells is almost turning 39. The trade looked very good when we made it, but it flopped.
Old 07-24-2001, 12:57 PM
Parking Lot Attendant

I never liked the trade and I still don't. However, I did understand what KW was trying to do. But I was mad when I saw Siro was traded and I still am. I know everyones saying right now that Buehrle is better then Siro but it seems to me like most Sox fans are saying that to keep themselves from being mad at KW. A lefty combo of Buehrle, and Siro would be amazing.

Also, we only got Wells in the trade. The other guy we originally got, DeWitt, was taken back along with one of the guys we sent(Mike Williams?). Glover came over in a seperate deal for SCott Eyre.
Old 07-24-2001, 12:58 PM
WSI High Priest

If I recall, we got Glover from the Jays in return for Scott Eyre right and not as part of the Wells deal. Maybe I've got it wrong though
Old 07-24-2001, 01:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

I may be among the minority here, but I wouldn't have made it then. My gut feeling when I heard about the trade was "we just gave away a solid young pitcher for nothing." I hoped I would be wrong, but sadly my hunch has proven to be right on the money. A rotation of Beurhle, Kip, , a healthy Parque or JB, either Biddle/Lowe/Garland/Rauch plus Sirotka would have looked pretty nice for next year. Oh well.
Old 07-24-2001, 01:09 PM
Parking Lot Attendant

I didn't want to make it then. Call me crazy, but I remember talking to some friends when it happened. Even after it was found out that Siro was injured I told them I hoped the trade would be overturned, or else hoped the trade would happen with Parque instead of Siro. But then again Siro was one of my favorite Sox players, so that was probably the Siro fan, not Sox fan side of me talking.
Old 07-24-2001, 01:22 PM
Webmaster - French Fryer

Quote:
If I recall, we got Glover from the Jays in return for Scott Eyre right and not as part of the Wells deal. Maybe I've got it wrong though

That's correct. Glover was received straight up for Scott Eyre, easily the best trade KW made last winter.

Would I still make the Boomer/Sirotka trade? Obviously not. Boomer's career with the Sox is likely over while Sirotka still has several good years in him. I wish we still had Sirotka so KW could trade the whiner again.

But seriously folks...

Wells's back condition was a known quantity to everyone last January. When KW made that deal, nearly everyone thought it was a brilliant move. The Sox were trying to win a championship (Remember the "It's Time" ad campaign?) and the team definitely needed a #1 starter. The Sox rolled the dice and came up snake eyes. It wasn't the last time the 2001 Sox would get bitten!

Let's not forget Mark Buerhle has credited Boomer with helping him learn the art of pitching and I'm sure he has helped other young pitchers on the staff, too. David Wells hasn't been a total waste.

I think Boomer deserves a share of the credit for the improved performance of many of our young pitchers. What value can we attach to that?
Old 07-24-2001, 01:25 PM
Chief Geek - Security Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Let's not forget Mark Buerhle has credited Boomer with helping him learn the art of pitching and I'm sure he has helped other young pitchers on the staff, too. David Wells hasn't been a total waste.

I think Boomer deserves a share of the credit for the improved performance of many of our young pitchers. What value can we attach to that?
I think his contribution as unofficial pitching coach has really helped. Of course, certain amphibians will not like statements like that...
Old 07-24-2001, 01:30 PM
Banned

Oops. I guess I was wrong about Glover. But what would we do with Simmons and Burned? PHG brings up a good point. Would Burly be the same pitcher he is without Boomer's help?

Ya know if we really wanted him back, I think Siro is a FA after next year...
Old 07-24-2001, 03:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

I don't know, if Siro was still here, either kip,rocky, or burly might not be pitching now. But either way I hated the trade.