White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2001, 11:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Trade Sean Lowe

Okay, admittedly he's been great this year but we could get all kinds of upside back. I was reading through the latest ESPN Insider (I'm on my 3rd free trial because I've managed to lose 2 VisaBuxx cards in 2.5 months) column from the Baseball Prospectus which looks at last year's dealine deals. A ridiculous amont of talent was traded for middle relievers like Sean Lowe who are easily replacable (remember what we gave up for Lowe? Exactly.).

The Mets traded Paul Wilson who was becoming a good pitcher again until this year for reliever Rick White.

The A's gave up Jesus Colome who throw 100 mph for Jim Mecir and the A's are even a smart organization. See, anyone will give up good players for relievers.

The Orioles got Chris Richard for Mike Timlin. Richard has given the O's a pleasant 796 OPS this year.

The Pirates got Jack Wilson, a slick fielding shortstop who is their current starter AND better than Royce Clayton, for Jason Christiansen.

The Cubs got Rondell White for Scott Downs. Scott Downs was a starter but he's still a bad pitcher who brought in big talent, what the hell was that trade about for the Expos?

The Devil Rays got a good young second baseman in Brent Abernathy for mediocrities Steve Trachsel and Mark Guthrie.

Already this year the Yankees have given up a fabulous shortstop prospect, D'Angelo Jimenez, for a pitcher who's had two good months, Jay Witasick. This despite Witasick's 5.43 career ERA. And Witasick's ERA this year has almost doubled already.

We need to send James Baldwin and Sean Lowe to the D-Backs. They might give us Jack Cust, we're talking about a team who traded Tony Batista for Dan "I Suck" Pleasac. Ken Williams isn't good enough to pull off a steal like that you say? Gord Ash managed to get Batista, GORD ASH. Gord who was dumb enough to not realize a guy coming off a 40 homer season and who can play 3 infield positions can't be snuck through waivers. Trade Lowe, trade Baldwin, trade any other mediocre 30 and over players we have because we'll probably be looting the hell out of the other team.
Old 07-24-2001, 11:32 AM
WSI Regular

Maybe not....

Sean is definitely valuable, but he should be here. If anything, no one can see "we have too much pitching", especially with all of the arm injuries the Sox have this year.

If some of the kids next year (Rauch, Ginter, Fogg, Wright etal) really develop, then let's look to see what the Sox can get for Sean Lowe. Nonetheless, he's WAY TOO valuable for us to give up now IMO.

What, me worry?
Old 07-24-2001, 12:03 PM
WSI Regular

Default What more does this guy have to do?

One thing that irritates me is the fact that players get traded so quickly and for no reason other than to make a trade. Sean Lowe has done everything asked of him, including going to the minor leagues where he definately did not deserve to go. He was in the bullpen for a while, and became a starter when he was asked. Upon becoming a starter, he has gone long innings to save the bullpen. What more does this guy have to do?
Old 07-24-2001, 01:06 PM
WSI Regular

I think we have to hold on to Lowe. Its not like he's ancient (he's 30) like Pleasac (age 37?) was. He is still young enough and fits in to our plans.
I think garland belongs in the rotation over him and I think Lowe is the best long-relief man we have. When you have 3 or 4 young kids in the rotation, every once in awhile your going to need a guy like Lowe in the bullpen to bail them out and still keep us in the game. If Barcelo returns healthy next year and can fill that role then maybe you look at trading Lowe. The difference between him and all those other guys (Pleasac, Downs, Witasick) is that he actually will help whatever team he's on.
Old 07-24-2001, 01:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Re: What more does this guy have to do?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
One thing that irritates me is the fact that players get traded so quickly and for no reason other than to make a trade. Sean Lowe has done everything asked of him, including going to the minor leagues where he definately did not deserve to go. He was in the bullpen for a while, and became a starter when he was asked. Upon becoming a starter, he has gone long innings to save the bullpen. What more does this guy have to do?
Exactly, he's done everything that's been asked of him and worked up his trade value. He's not young enough or talented enough to be in our future plans and as a middle reliever his future is unpredictable anyway. You can't make moves based on what's fair or being sentimental. Lowe is over 30, he's a middle reliever and his market value will be higher than his actual value. Let's say goodbye because it's the SMART thing to do.
Old 07-24-2001, 01:16 PM
Parking Lot Attendant

I don't think he fits into our future either. If we can get something to help us, I say we might as well trade him. He's not in our future as a starter, and we have enough depth in pitching to where hes not neccessarily needed.
Old 07-24-2001, 01:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by beausox
When you have 3 or 4 young kids in the rotation, every once in awhile your going to need a guy like Lowe in the bullpen to bail them out and still keep us in the game. If Barcelo returns healthy next year and can fill that role then maybe you look at trading Lowe. The difference between him and all those other guys (Pleasac, Downs, Witasick) is that he actually will help whatever team he's on.
The thing is next year he won't be as valuable at the beginning of the year and he'll have 3/5 of the year to devalue himself before the trading deadline. The idea is to trade him while his value is peaked, i.e. NOW. It doesn't matter if Barcelo is healthy, releivers are replacable. We got Lowe from the scrap heap and there are other good relievers like him on the scrap heap. Plus guys like Josh Fogg and Danny Wright will need some place in the majors if the rotation is full.