Soxogram: 
Happy Spring Training, Sox Fans!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2004, 12:42 PM
WSI Personality

Default Sosa Admits Steroid Use? <alledgedly>

This was passed along to me by fellow Sox fan Fightin' Illini Dave, and if you read Sammy's quote from last Thursday's article in the Bright One.......you have to ask yourself......if Sammy NEVER lifted weights in December......how did he get so freaking big in '98??? Like Ringo Starr....did he get by with a "little help" Kinda makes you go hmmmm.....doesn't it?????

''Dusty called me [Tuesday], and I told him I'm so pumped, so hyped, that this is the first time I have ever started lifting weights in December,'' Sosa said. ''I have never felt like this. It's so exciting for me that I will be there in Arizona whenever the team wants me there. I can't wait.

Sammy Admits To Steroid Use!!! <Alledgedly>

"(Shoeless Joe) Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." ------ Connie Mack..........................."I copied (Shoeless Joe) Jackson's style because I thought he was the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter."------ Babe Ruth"

Last edited by Wsoxmike59; 01-19-2004 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Of course, Cub-cheerleader Kiley can't get beyond his blue bloodlust for all things Sosa, and ignores his journalistic DUTY to probe into Sosa's near-admission by implication of steroid use. I hope that the Cubs sign him to a record-breaking extension, and the day after he is found with cork, syringes and pills in his very locker.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Dude, so he lifts from January to October, if he doesn't lift in November and December it's not going to matter.

I'm not a Sosa apologist, but this in no way implies he took roids.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by pudge
Dude, so he lifts from January to October, if he doesn't lift in November and December it's not going to matter.

I'd agree. The fact that he went ape-**** when asked by an SI (?) writer to go down to a clinic with him to do a drug drop after an interview to prove to the world that he doesn't do steroids is better proof than this.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:39 PM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

Quote:

Um...he put on all that muscle mass over the winter.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:45 PM
WSI Guru

Anyone who's ever done any weight lifting knows how it works. I didn't take Sosa's comments as an admission of guilt whatsoever. Most guys who train and lift weights cycle their workouts. It's not uncommon for a guy to take a couple of months off, eat really heavy, and then comeback and lift weights to lean up some of the fat into muscle mass. Sammy had already been getting big in '96 and '97. I bet his usual routine now is that he probably stops lifting sometime in October and takes the holidays off, and then probably starts full-time lifting again after January 1st. He was simply saying this year he started before Christmas. No biggie. I hate Sosa as much as everyone else does, and I'm sure he does take some supplements, but this particular quote isn't the admission of guilt that we're looking for.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:45 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

I beg to differ. He may be lifting during the season, but it is in no way, shape, or form the type of lifting needed to add bulk. They lift to maintain during the season, and then get huge in the off season. He wouldn't have blimped out by skipping two months of lifting before 1998.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by TornLabrum

January and February aren't "winter"....??
Old 01-19-2004, 02:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally posted by steff
January and February aren't "winter"....??
Many of my best friends down here at school are Notre Dame football players. I see these guys adding muscle the right way. They have been lifting every day since the beginning of January and will lift every day until next August. They do lift during the season, but it is not the type of blow-out lifts they do to add bulk. They do get bigger season to season, but they don't take any time off either. Two months is a long time. I agree that he ate and turned the fat to muscle, but he also did it with the aid of substances. What those are - well that is to be determined.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:04 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

There is no way you can add 30 lbs of muscle as Sammy did between the '97-'98 season just by lifting weights for 6 weeks before Spring Training. If he wasn't lifting in December, how'd he get so big?? The answer is as easy to get to by looking at the zits on Sammy's face.

In my book this is a "smoking gun" that pretty much admits he had taken roids to bulk up.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally posted by Wsoxmike59
There is no way you can add 30 lbs of muscle as Sammy did between the '97-'98 season just by lifting weights for 6 weeks before Spring Training. If he wasn't lifting in December, how'd he get so big?? The answer is as easy to get to by looking at the zits on Sammy's face.

In my book this is a "smoking gun" that pretty much admits he had taken roids to bulk up.
If seen guys go from average with a little muscle mass to bigger and ripped in 60-90 days, just using nutrition, the right program and MetRx, a nutritional supplement.

Technology these days has come so far that there are enough perfectly legal supplements that steroids are not needed if you do things right. Steroids are the lazy way to get big.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally posted by TornLabrum
December not being winter? LOL.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:24 PM
Banned

You can take all the steroids you want but if you don't lift while on them you won't gain muscle - steroids are just illegal and more potent supplements. Either way if you don't work out with them you won't see much benefit from them.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:30 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian26
Anyone who's ever done any weight lifting knows how it works. I didn't take Sosa's comments as an admission of guilt whatsoever. Most guys who train and lift weights cycle their workouts. It's not uncommon for a guy to take a couple of months off, eat really heavy, and then comeback and lift weights to lean up some of the fat into muscle mass. Sammy had already been getting big in '96 and '97. I bet his usual routine now is that he probably stops lifting sometime in October and takes the holidays off, and then probably starts full-time lifting again after January 1st. He was simply saying this year he started before Christmas. No biggie. I hate Sosa as much as everyone else does, and I'm sure he does take some supplements, but this particular quote isn't the admission of guilt that we're looking for.

"Guys take a couple of months off, eat really heavy then work out and turn the muscle to fat"
I don't know if you know this but fat does not turn into muscle. There is really no coorelation between the two.
If I was to do that it would just take me that much longer to get into shape.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:33 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally posted by ND_Sox_Fan
Many of my best friends down here at school are Notre Dame football players.
Out of interest, which players are you friends with? I'm a huge ND football fan.