Default Anaheim offers Colon a contract

According to MSG Sportsdesk, 4 years at 48 million
Old 12-03-2003, 01:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Re: Anaheim offers Colon a contract

Quote:
Originally posted by savafan
According to MSG Sportsdesk, 4 years at 48 million
Wow, I gotta think there's a good chance he'll accept.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:25 AM
WSI Personality

If Colon really did like Chicago like he said (seems stupid now but), then he won't accept this offer
Old 12-03-2003, 02:53 AM
WSI Regular

I think Colon is going to wait and see if the Brown / Weaver trade materializes before he signs with the Angels. Either way, chances look very slim that he will be on the South Side next year. I'd be shocked if KW beats the Anaheim offer.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Wow, thats a pretty big offer. For that money they can have him.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:37 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
Wow, thats a pretty big offer. For that money they can have him.
i agree. there is no way he will be healthy/productive for 4 years. just think what 4 years of gyros does to a body...
Old 12-03-2003, 08:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel
i agree. there is no way he will be healthy/productive for 4 years. just think what 4 years of gyros does to a body...
and breaded steak sandwiches from Ricobene's. He may actually lose weight out there, terrible hot dogs.

Robert M. Knight
Old 12-03-2003, 08:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

Has anyone heard anything in terms of Ponson? I never read his name in any of the talks related to the Yanks or other big spenders. I know KW really wanted him down the stretch last year and I say go get him, Colon isn't worth the money Anehiem just threw his way.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:00 AM
WSI High Priest

I heard on the score this morning that KW offered Colon 3 yrs./30 million, none of the $$$ deferred. Anyone else hear this or was I sleeping through the drive?
Old 12-03-2003, 09:05 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
Has anyone heard anything in terms of Ponson? I never read his name in any of the talks related to the Yanks or other big spenders. I know KW really wanted him down the stretch last year and I say go get him, Colon isn't worth the money Anehiem just threw his way.
Agreed. The Sox proved that throwing money around with reckless abandon is foolish, especially when your overall payroll is limited by self-imposed restrictions.

Example #1 is Albert Belle
Example #2 is Jaime Navarro
Example #3 is Paul Konerko

I'm also glad that they didn't waste money on long-term deals with Jack McDowell, Alex Fernandez, Wilson Alvarez, Jason Bere, Mike Sirotka and James Baldwin. Yes, the Sox must be more liberal with payroll. But they must also be smart about whom they sign. Colon for 4 years/$48 million is foolish. If they could get Pettitte for that money, maybe, but not for Colon.

While as a Sox fan I don't necessarily like Reinsdorf's unwillingness to sign free agents to generous long-term contracts, I can understand his motivation, having been burned with some bad contracts. I don't necessarily blame him for being tight-fisted, I blame him for making some really bad decisions both on and off the field.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

wow there is no way the sox can pay that kind of money. I am actually getting kind of sad about this whole deal. I mean the team on the other side of town can throw money everywhere. We seem to be stuck in a place where we can pay some people but not keep a team together. I know i shouldn't care what the cubs do but its hard not to. I hope that somehow we can find another Gem out there like E-lo last year. Right now the season does not look good for the sox sadly. Wow and i was trying to be positive this whole off season.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:48 AM
WSI Prelate

Default 4 YEARS?

That's what amazes me. 3/36 isn't terrible, but 4/48 is unbelievable. Nobody insures MLB contracts past 3 years anymore - so the team is risking the entire 4th year. With SPs (certainly larger ones) tending to break down at a certain point, I can't see this as a good idea. I would think the Angels would be able to lure a better SP than Bartolo. I guess not - but....
Old 12-03-2003, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
and breaded steak sandwiches from Ricobene's....
Oh man...you're killing me...when's lunch???
Old 12-03-2003, 10:57 AM
WSI Guru

Two comments...

First does anybody know if any of Anaheim's offer is "deferred" money? That could be important.

Second, assuming Anaheim's offer is legit (and we still don't know for sure...) it kind of shoots holes in the posters who were saying that the market is going to be depressed and Colon was a fool for turning the Sox down doesn't it?

My opinion...pitching wins pennants and no matter how much the market is depressed, no matter how much collusion may be going around, top pitchers and going to get top money regardless of the risk.

Until the Sox come to grips with this 'fundamental law' of baseball they are going to be behind the eight ball.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 12-03-2003 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Second, assuming Anaheim's offer is legit (and we still don't know for sure...) it kind of shoots holes in the posters who were saying that the markey is going to be depressed and Colon was a fool for turning the Sox down doesn't it?
Not really. It's a better offer than the Sox, sure, but it's still not really close to what he would have gotten a few years ago.