Soxogram: 
Happy Spring Training, Sox Fans!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2003, 02:17 PM
WSI Guru

Default Caballo at Thirdbase?

I'm just throwing this out here for speculation. I know he played a little third when he first came up in '99. Is there anyway CLee has the soft hands to play third again? My gut feeling is no. I still can't imagine him even playing firstbase. With the log jam in the outfield, is there anyway we can keep Lee and Mags and still give Borchard and Reed a chance in spring training?

1- Alomar 2b
2- CLee 3b
3- Ordonez Rf
4- Frank 1b
5- Everett DH
6- Borchard CF
7- Reed LF
8- Graffanino SS
9- Olivo

I'm basically giving up on Crede, Valentin, Konerko, and Rowand with this lineup. If you can trade any combination of the guys above for a decent shortstop or catcher, take Graf out as a starter.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:20 PM
WSI Personality

Default Re: Caballo at Thirdbase?

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian26
I'm just throwing this out here for speculation. I know he played a little third when he first came up in '99. Is there anyway CLee has the soft hands to play third again? My gut feeling is no. I still can't imagine him even playing firstbase. With the log jam in the outfield, is there anyway we can keep Lee and Mags and still give Borchard and Reed a chance in spring training?

1- Alomar 2b
2- CLee 3b
3- Ordonez Rf
4- Frank 1b
5- Everett DH
6- Borchard CF
7- Reed LF
8- Graffanino SS
9- Olivo

I'm basically giving up on Crede, Valentin, Konerko, and Rowand with this lineup. If you can trade any combination of the guys above for a decent shortstop or catcher, take Graf out as a starter.
Why are you giving up on Crede? Remember--he's still young, and, unlike Konerko, once he got going at the end of the season, he kept going. He's still young, and I think a full-season breakout is right around the corner. I don't even want to think about the defense you're going to sacrifice by putting Carlos at third.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Why give up on Crede? He stepped in up near the end....is still young, and is still cheap
Old 10-12-2003, 02:22 PM
WSI Personality

If this were 1999, I'd say, "give it a try." But after four years, there's no way Lee can play third. I bet when Lee was in the low minors, he was at least 20-25 pounds lighter.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:26 PM
WSI Guru

Default Re: Re: Caballo at Thirdbase?

Quote:
Originally posted by FJA
Why are you giving up on Crede? Remember--he's still young, and, unlike Konerko, once he got going at the end of the season, he kept going. He's still young, and I think a full-season breakout is right around the corner. I don't even want to think about the defense you're going to sacrifice by putting Carlos at third.
Well, we've had two years in a row where Crede was mediocre at best for 2/3 of the season, and then he turned it on in the final month and a half.

When Crede's on, he looks good. When's Crede's struggling and swinging at balls in the dirt, he looks worst than anyone I've ever seen. Remember, he spent a long time in the minors. He's not a 21-yr old kid. Is Crede going to fulfill his potential or be a junior version of Konerko with the 3-month-long slumps?

I was basically exploring the idea of Crede v. Borchard or Crede v. Reed in the lineup instead of Lee v. Borchard or Lee v. Reed.
I almost feel more confident with Borchard and Reed at this point than with Crede.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Re: Re: Re: Caballo at Thirdbase?

Quote:
Well, we've had two years in a row where Crede was mediocre at best for 2/3 of the season, and then he turned it on in the final month and a half.

When Crede's on, he looks good. When's Crede's struggling and swinging at balls in the dirt, he looks worst than anyone I've ever seen. Remember, he spent a long time in the minors. He's not a 21-yr old kid. Is Crede going to fulfill his potential or be a junior version of Konerko with the 3-month-long slumps?

I was basically exploring the idea of Crede v. Borchard or Crede v. Reed in the lineup instead of Lee v. Borchard or Lee v. Reed.
I almost feel more confident with Borchard and Reed at this point than with Crede.
Does it count as Mediocre when you are in the minor leagues?
Old 10-12-2003, 02:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Re: Re: Re: Caballo at Thirdbase?

Quote:

Then why not play Frank at SS, and Konerko behind the plate...since reason, accountability and logic seem to not apply(much like with my girlfriend)
Old 10-12-2003, 02:29 PM
WSI Guru

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Caballo at Thirdbase?

Quote:
Originally posted by RichH55
Does it count as Mediocre when you are in the minor leagues?
Eh, you're right. Crede spent most of 2002 in the minors, although he did get a shot in the Spring and didn't impress enough.

I forgot about the Royce Clayton-induced infield logjam.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:31 PM
WSI Guru

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Caballo at Thirdbase?

Quote:
Then why not play Frank at SS, and Konerko behind the plate...since reason, accountability and logic seem to not apply(much like with my girlfriend)
Has Frank ever played shortstop at the MLB level? Caballo has played thirdbase up here. He didn't play a ton of games, but he did play. Frank's never played another field position except first.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:45 PM
WSI High Priest

There is no way whatsoever you give up on Crede this early. He's only been in the majors for what, a year and a third? And he's looked pretty good for half of that time. I'd give up on Borchard before I'd give up on Crede in a heartbeat. Crede is part of the future of the franchise. He might not look as good as Miguel Cabrera, but he certainly is a promising player who may be a .300 30 hr 120 rbi hitter in the near future.
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 10-12-2003, 02:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Who thinks reed is ready?

hes a very young kid- i think he needs another atleast half season in the minors-dont rush him.
take your time like you did Borchard. and Crede is really good he is ourr 3b for 5 years atleast.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:54 PM
Webmaster - French Fryer

Crazy, crazy, crazy. Lee has made tremendous progress as a leftfielder. There is no way in the world I would move him anywhere. I would trade him before I gave him a trial at third base, and this has nothing to do with Joe Crede whatsoever.

The Sox moved Lee out of the infield back in the late-90's. He is never going back, unless as a firstbasemen.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Caballo at Thirdbase?

Quote:
Has Frank ever played shortstop at the MLB level? Caballo has played thirdbase up here. He didn't play a ton of games, but he did play. Frank's never played another field position except first.
Konerko has played C before (Not sure at major league level)....Still about the same level of realism
Old 10-12-2003, 03:48 PM
WSI Guru

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Caballo at Thirdbase?

Quote:
Konerko has played C before (Not sure at major league level)....Still about the same level of realism
Uh, not really. Lee has played thirdbase. Frank Thomas hasn't EVER played shortstop. Konerko could play catcher in an emergency situation and was the team's 4th string catcher for awhile this year after Paul was let go and before Burke came up. His baseball cards with the Dodgers list him as a catcher in his rookie year, but like you, I'm not sure if he ever played any major league innings there. Of the three scenarios, the Lee one isn't out of the realm of possibility. I'm just throwing it out there for discussion, just as I did last year with Mags playing centerfield (which actually happened) and with Daubach playing third (which didn't happen).
Old 10-12-2003, 03:57 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Caballo at Thirdbase?

Quote:
Konerko could play catcher in an emergency situation and was the team's 4th string catcher for awhile this year after Paul was let go and before Burke came up.
Brian Daubauch was the Sox emergency catcher all season long.