White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-05-2003, 10:51 PM
pudge pudge is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,944
Default How would you change as Sox fan if Cubs won?...

I didn't think it would come to this, but amazingly it has. I don't think the Marlins have a shot in hell, so it's up to whichever AL team reaches the WS.... but... Lip's earlier thread about how the Cubs' success will effect the Sox got me thinking...

How would you change as a Sox fan if the Cubs won it all?

Personally, I think I would become a lot less enthusiastic. If Cub fans get the prize first, anything afterward becomes meaningless (unless the Sox rattle off multiple world championships).

Granted, I don't live in Chicago any longer, so it'd be easier to detach myself. I think I'd become more of a casual observer. I wouldn't even mind seeing them move to a city where they could get their own identity, and just let Chicago have their lovable Cubs. My dream was that someday we could win a title and reclaim a large part of the Chi-town fans, but that will never happen if the Cubs win the series.

Of course, I'm hoping the Marlins or Yanks don't let it come to that.
__________________
"I'm sorry that you don't like our manager," Williams says he told him.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our 3-4-5 hitters. Or our closer.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our third baseman and our shortstop. Or our left fielder and our right fielder.

"I'm sorry people feel this way about our club. But I also want you to know something about that:

"We don't care."

-Kenny Williams before start of 2005 season
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-05-2003, 10:52 PM
MRKARNO MRKARNO is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Downtown
Posts: 7,678
Default

I think it would be pretty goddamn bad for a year and then it would be managable to be a sox fan
__________________
Post season checklist:
First home playoff win in 46 years Check
First playoff series win in 88 years Check
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-05-2003, 11:16 PM
soxnut soxnut is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lansing, IL
Posts: 1,175
Default

Honestly, it can't get any worse really. The Cubs, have already grabbed so much attention over the years for doing nothing but losing, that it won't make a difference. I don't see how their popularity would increase. I think the mystique of the "Lovabale Losers" would then be over.

And then, it would be "the poor White Sox, such losers...... let's hope someday they can win a World Series". Once the Cubs win, the media can move on to the next thing, which should be our Sox and their "gritty, passionate, blue collar style fans".


So, I'd be pretty bummed if the Cubs won it all, but all the hype will be gone after a year. Memory in the sports world is very short term--ask the Angels.......
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-05-2003, 11:18 PM
JoseCanseco6969 JoseCanseco6969 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NIU D-Town!
Posts: 953
Default

i dont know about losing the hype in a year, i couldnt imagine the cubs fans i know letting me forget it if they won it all. Lets just focus one game at a time, GO FISH!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-05-2003, 11:20 PM
VeeckAsInWreck VeeckAsInWreck is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Over By Midway Airport
Posts: 3,608
Default

Nobody thought the Marlins had a chance against the mighy Giants, but they proved us all wrong. Let's not count them out yet. Let the NLCS begin!

GO MARLINS!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-05-2003, 11:50 PM
TommyJohn TommyJohn is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,111
Blog Entries: 134
Default Re: How would you change as Sox fan if Cubs won?...

Quote:
Originally posted by pudge
I didn't think it would come to this, but amazingly it has. I don't think the Marlins have a shot in hell, so it's up to whichever AL team reaches the WS.... but... Lip's earlier thread about how the Cubs' success will effect the Sox got me thinking...

How would you change as a Sox fan if the Cubs won it all?

Personally, I think I would become a lot less enthusiastic. If Cub fans get the prize first, anything afterward becomes meaningless (unless the Sox rattle off multiple world championships).

Granted, I don't live in Chicago any longer, so it'd be easier to detach myself. I think I'd become more of a casual observer. I wouldn't even mind seeing them move to a city where they could get their own identity, and just let Chicago have their lovable Cubs. My dream was that someday we could win a title and reclaim a large part of the Chi-town fans, but that will never happen if the Cubs win the series.


I'll tell you the truth. I'm outta here. I am no longer a fan of
the Unlovable Losers on the South Side. I am turning in my
fan membership right here and now. The reasons are many
and various, but I'll state a few:

This team is done. Kaput. Jerry Reinsdorf was half right. Chi-
cago hasn't always belonged to the Cubs, but it does now
and will until baseball is no longer played in America.

The Cubs will beat the Red Sox in this year's "Media Wet
Dream" World Series and have the stuff to dominate the
NL Central for the next several seasons. And how will the
Reinsdorf react? By running the franchise as if it were the
Lansing Lugnuts. Any of you who think that this will "push"
Reinsdorf "harder" are dreaming. They will continue to be
the pathetic, mediocre, low-budget operation that they are,
until the move to Portland, Oregon or Virginia or wherever
they are headed within the next five years.

I've just about had it up to my eyeballs with the proliferation
of foul, abusive articles like the one Viva Magglio posted in the
Parking Lot. I didn't read it, but I can imagine what it says.
Imagine what will be like once the Cubs win the World Series.
Also imagine media Cub-lovers (I won't mention names) doing
a gleeful tap-dance on the Sox' graves. By Chicago media
folks I mean all the out-of-towners who moved here from
elsewhere and embraced all the charm and goodness of the
Cubs and Wrigley.

So, rather than do the Lip thing and come here and bitch, moan
and crab about low budget ball and how Reinsdorf, the spawn
of Satan should do the rest of humanity a favor and die just so
the next egomaniacal, greedy owner can come in and run the
team in the exact same fashion; I will no longer be a fan.

I am totally disavowing and disabusing and releasing myself
of everything and anything that this frickin', no-good, worth-
less, gutless, good-for-nothing, low-budget loser franchise
stands for. There are far better and more worthwhile things
with which to get my blood pressure up over. The gutless,
worthless, poor-mouthing team is not one of them. They win.
I surrender.

To all the posters at WSI, it was great to read so many lively,
interesting, entertaining posts. You kept me entertained and
sometimes had me laughing my butt off during many a slow,
boring work night. I regret that I never met any of you in per-
son. Hangar, steff, PHG and many others sound like great
people to hang out with.

As for the Chicago White Sox, congratulations. You worked
long and hard to make yourselves the second fiddle in this
town and you have succeeded. Make sure you write your
recipies for success in a book. Every loser businessman look-
ing for an excuse for failure will snap it up in an instant. Call
the book, "Chicago Has Always Belonged To the Cubs! and
Other Excuses You Can Come Up With For Your Own Failures."
It'll be popular with some people, I'm sure.

In closing, I might shed a tear or two when the Tribune Co.
finally succeeds in driving you out of town and Jay Mariotti
dances on your grave. It will kind of be like seeing the child-
hood sweetheart that you've always had a crush on get
married. You knew there was never a chance for the two of
you, but you feel that heartache, anyway.

Will I become a Cub fan? Hell, no. I still hate them and their
fans. I just won't follow baseball at all. Better yet, I'll become
a Yankee fan. Well, I haven't really decided. I just know I'm
through with the South Side BUMS.

I want to say one more thing, but at the risk of being deleted,
I won't. I'll just state that I won't waste one more word or
emotion on those choking losers. They're not worth it.

S'long, y'all. Been fun.
__________________
I am Dabuiek

Last edited by TommyJohn; 04-09-2005 at 09:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-05-2003, 11:54 PM
MRKARNO MRKARNO is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Downtown
Posts: 7,678
Default Re: Re: How would you change as Sox fan if Cubs won?...

Quote:
Originally posted by TommyJohn
S'long, y'all. Been fun.
All I can say is that you obviously dont have the fortitude to be a sox fan if that is your attitude
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-06-2003, 12:05 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 47,838
Blog Entries: 9
Default Re: Re: How would you change as Sox fan if Cubs won?...

Quote:
Originally posted by TommyJohn
S'long, y'all. Been fun.
You were probably always just biding your time until you could show your true blue roots anyway. Gutless is just one of the many words that comes to mind...

Shall I delete your account for you? Yes, that is a serious offer...
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-06-2003, 12:08 AM
pudge pudge is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,944
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by soxnut
Honestly, it can't get any worse really. The Cubs, have already grabbed so much attention over the years for doing nothing but losing, that it won't make a difference. I don't see how their popularity would increase. I think the mystique of the "Lovabale Losers" would then be over.

And then, it would be "the poor White Sox, such losers...... let's hope someday they can win a World Series". Once the Cubs win, the media can move on to the next thing, which should be our Sox and their "gritty, passionate, blue collar style fans".


So, I'd be pretty bummed if the Cubs won it all, but all the hype will be gone after a year. Memory in the sports world is very short term--ask the Angels.......
That's an interesting twist... we'd never have to hear "Cubs haven't won in 95 years, blah, blah, blah."

Then it should switch to, "Sox haven't won in 88 years, blah, blah..."

It'd be interesting to see if that actually happens.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-06-2003, 12:09 AM
pudge pudge is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,944
Default Re: Re: Re: How would you change as Sox fan if Cubs won?...

Quote:
Originally posted by voodoochile
You were probably always just biding your time until you could show your true blue roots anyway. Gutless is just one of the many words that comes to mind...

Shall I delete your account for you? Yes, that is a serious offer...
Don't delete his account yet, it's just post-Flubbiewin stress syndrome. He'll be over it as soon as the Fish win game one. (please, please).
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-06-2003, 12:12 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 47,838
Blog Entries: 9
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: How would you change as Sox fan if Cubs won?...

Quote:
Originally posted by pudge
Don't delete his account yet, it's just post-Flubbiewin stress syndrome. He'll be over it as soon as the Fish win game one. (please, please).
It was an offer. I am more than willing to help ban/delete/moderate anyone who honestly wants to have it happen. All one needs to do is ask...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-06-2003, 12:21 AM
cheeses_h_rice cheeses_h_rice is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Falling off my stool at Puffer's, IL
Posts: 9,168
Default Re: Re: How would you change as Sox fan if Cubs won?...

Quote:
Originally posted by TommyJohn
I'll tell you the truth. I'm outta here. I am no longer a fan of
the Unlovable Losers on the South Side. I am turning in my
fan membership right here and now. The reasons are many
and various, but I'll state a few:

This team is done. Kaput. Jerry Reinsdorf was half right. Chi-
cago hasn't always belonged to the Cubs, but it does now
and will until baseball is no longer played in America.

The Cubs will beat the Red Sox in this year's "Media Wet
Dream" World Series and have the stuff to dominate the
NL Central for the next several seasons. And how will the
Reinsdorf react? By running the franchise as if it were the
Lansing Lugnuts. Any of you who think that this will "push"
Reinsdorf "harder" are dreaming. They will continue to be
the pathetic, mediocre, low-budget operation that they are,
until the move to Portland, Oregon or Virginia or wherever
they are headed within the next five years.

I've just about had it up to my eyeballs with the proliferation
of foul, abusive articles like the one Viva Magglio posted in the
Parking Lot. I didn't read it, but I can imagine what it says.
Imagine what will be like once the Cubs win the World Series.
Also imagine media Cub-lovers (I won't mention names) doing
a gleeful tap-dance on the Sox' graves. By Chicago media
folks I mean all the out-of-towners who moved here from
elsewhere and embraced all the charm and goodness of the
Cubs and Wrigley.

So, rather than do the Lip thing and come here and bitch, moan
and crab about low budget ball and how Reinsdorf, the spawn
of Satan should do the rest of humanity a favor and die just so
the next egomaniacal, greedy owner can come in and run the
team in the exact same fashion; I will no longer be a fan.

I am totally disavowing and disabusing and releasing myself
of everything and anything that this frickin', no-good, worth-
less, gutless, good-for-nothing, low-budget loser franchise
stands for. There are far better and more worthwhile things
with which to get my blood pressure up over. The gutless,
worthless, poor-mouthing team is not one of them. They win.
I surrender.

To all the posters at WSI, it was great to read so many lively,
interesting, entertaining posts. You kept me entertained and
sometimes had me laughing my butt off during many a slow,
boring work night. I regret that I never met any of you in per-
son. Hangar, steff, PHG and many others sound like great
people to hang out with.

As for the Chicago White Sox, congratulations. You worked
long and hard to make yourselves the second fiddle in this
town and you have succeeded. Make sure you write your
recipies for success in a book. Every loser businessman look-
ing for an excuse for failure will snap it up in an instant. Call
the book, "Chicago Has Always Belonged To the Cubs! and
Other Excuses You Can Come Up With For Your Own Failures."
It'll be popular with some people, I'm sure.

In closing, I might shed a tear or two when the Tribune Co.
finally succeeds in driving you out of town and Jay Mariotti
dances on your grave. It will kind of be like seeing the child-
hood sweetheart that you've always had a crush on get
married. You knew there was never a chance for the two of
you, but you feel that heartache, anyway.

Will I become a Cub fan? Hell, no. I still hate them and their
fans. I just won't follow baseball at all. Better yet, I'll become
a Yankee fan. Well, I haven't really decided. I just know I'm
through with the South Side BUMS.

I want to say one more thing, but at the risk of being deleted,
I won't. I'll just state that I won't waste one more word or
emotion on those choking losers. They're not worth it.

S'long, y'all. Been fun.
Is that the alcohol speaking, or just the rage that we all probably feel to some extent rising to the top?

Sox fans don't give up, IMO.

We may have our moments of "**** this," when we witness a less worthy team on the other side of town celebrate a 3-2 series win -- just the first step of 3, needed to win the World Series, mind you. That's a natural feeling. I myself am pretty bummed tonight, seeing our intracity competitors take that big first step in the postseason, a step that we haven't been able to do since 1917.

But buck up: the Flubs won't be winning **** this year. And, as in so many years' past, their fans will ACCEPT THAT AS SUCCESS. We Sox fans expect more, and will not settle until we reach that promised land of a World Series title.

The Flubs haven't won **** yet, and the Sox can very easily come out on top of this little race we have.

Suck it up. Ignore the papers and the taunts from your idiot, fairweather co-workers. It's not easy being a Sox fan, but that's what will make the ultimate reward of a World Series title that much sweeter.

Go Sox.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-06-2003, 12:25 AM
soxnut soxnut is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lansing, IL
Posts: 1,175
Default Re: Re: How would you change as Sox fan if Cubs won?...

Quote:
Originally posted by TommyJohn
I'll tell you the truth. I'm outta here.
S'long, y'all. Been fun.
Don't let the door..................................BYE!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-06-2003, 12:49 AM
WhiteSox = Life WhiteSox = Life is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chicago - The City That Can't Be Beat
Posts: 1,498
Default Re: Re: How would you change as Sox fan if Cubs won?...

Quote:
Originally posted by TommyJohn
S'long, y'all. Been fun.
There are just some times when people decide they want to take a different route in life. If TommyJohn feels as if he can get more out of life, or make his life better by cutting the White Sox out of it, then by all means, let him. There is nothing more important in life than happiness and if he feels like he'll be better off without the Sox, then so be it. He may not have been the die-hard fan that a lot of individuals here are (or maybe he was just able to lessen the hold on him over time), but everyone must make their own decisions and he has decided to stop being a fan of the Chicago White Sox. Good luck in your future endeavors, TommyJohn, and may you live a better life without the Sox.

__________________
And nobody knows what it's really like / But everyone says it's great / And they heard it from the spiral in their eyes / ... / And nobody knows what it's really like / But everyone says it's great / And they heard it from the spiral in their eyes /.../ The spiraling shape will make you go insane / But everyone wants to see that groovy thing /.../ Don't spend the rest of your life wondering / (Everyone wants to see that thing) - They Might Be Giants from Factory Showroom
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default

Soxnut says: "And then, it would be "the poor White Sox, such losers...... let's hope someday they can win a World Series". Once the Cubs win, the media can move on to the next thing, which should be our Sox and their "gritty, passionate, blue collar style fans".

Soxnut the reality of the Sox situation now more then ever is that they are going to be ignored. They have been ignored when they won (I use that in relative terms) and they are ignored when they lose.

They don't matter.

Part of that is bad luck, part of it is factors beyond the organization's control and much of it is factors that they did have the power to change but didn't, wouldn't or couldn't.

They simply don't matter and the Sox fans who are left can suffer in silence.

Not a pretty picture is it? but one that needs to be told.

Lip
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.