White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-26-2003, 10:54 AM
Procol Harum Procol Harum is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 3,775
Default Well, That Inspired Them!

Just a little more background for the team's current miasma and the manager's role therein. I haven't seen anybody else mention it, but according to Julie Swieca late last night on the Score, our guy Jerry had a team meeting before last night's game with the Twinks. You saw the results for yourself....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-26-2003, 11:14 AM
WinningUgly!'s Avatar
WinningUgly! WinningUgly! is offline
Sanitation Engineer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ottawa, IL
Posts: 5,519
Default Re: Well, That Inspired Them!

Quote:
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Just a little more background for the team's current miasma and the manager's role therein. I haven't seen anybody else mention it, but according to Julie Swieca late last night on the Score, our guy Jerry had a team meeting before last night's game with the Twinks. You saw the results for yourself....
I've cut Jerry Manuel as much or more slack than anybody over the past two and a half seasons. I'm not saying the team's struggles are all his fault, but someone has to be held accountable at some point. I'd (at the very least) like to hear Kenny Williams or Jerry Reinsdorf start making comments about Manuel's job being in jeopardy. When a manager's neck is in the noose, the team responds one way or the other. For better or worse, it's time to make a change.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-26-2003, 11:20 AM
Procol Harum Procol Harum is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 3,775
Default

I've never been among the JM Bashing crowd either, but it's beginning to appear awfully clear that the team needs some sort of kick in the rear to propel them in something of the right direction. Unfortunately, the team seems to have neither fire or mental discipline and it's a malady of long-standing. At some point that has to trace back to Manuel's doorstep.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-26-2003, 11:47 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 55,245
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Anyone think the firing or Nardi and Von Joshua has left JM without his usual support group? He has to be feeling a bit out on an island at this point in time and he has to see the writing on the wall. I mean there is no one left to fire except for him.

I bet that was one inspirational meeting too...


"Well guys, I really don't know what to say. You guys have been playing poorly and I'm about to get fired. But, hey, they Twins are in town and they are the team to beat in the division. Try not to embarass me or yourselves tonight. (suddenly screaming) WE HAVE TO WIN THIS GAME! (pauses... closes his eyes and centers himself) What I meant to say is that if you find your center and play within your limits, then we can find a way to win. LEE WAKEUP!... er... I mean at least please stop snoring. I know you aren't playing tonight, but that really isn't my fault. I have to play Aaron regularly... I don't know... Please... I don't want to get fired... Can't you win a couple of ballgames. I don't know what else to do... Please?"
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-26-2003, 12:58 PM
gosox41 gosox41 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,027
Default Re: Re: Well, That Inspired Them!

Quote:
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I've cut Jerry Manuel as much or more slack than anybody over the past two and a half seasons. I'm not saying the team's struggles are all his fault, but someone has to be held accountable at some point. I'd (at the very least) like to hear Kenny Williams or Jerry Reinsdorf start making comments about Manuel's job being in jeopardy. When a manager's neck is in the noose, the team responds one way or the other. For better or worse, it's time to make a change.
I think the team is responding. There's been talk about JM's job being on the line since the end of last season. The players knew the better the played the more likely it is that JM would keep his job. The fact that they went 12-10 against crap teams says a lot about the heart and focus of this team.


Bob
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-26-2003, 01:01 PM
gosox41 gosox41 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,027
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Procol Harum
I've never been among the JM Bashing crowd either, but it's beginning to appear awfully clear that the team needs some sort of kick in the rear to propel them in something of the right direction. Unfortunately, the team seems to have neither fire or mental discipline and it's a malady of long-standing. At some point that has to trace back to Manuel's doorstep.
What's that say about the players? They go through the same thing every year. Maybe it's time to shake some of them up. You hear Jose making comments about dissension and selfishness. There is a carry over effect every year. Maybe it's time to look a the players that have been here the last 3 years and shake them up while also firing JM.

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-26-2003, 01:12 PM
cheeses_h_rice cheeses_h_rice is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Falling off my stool at Puffer's, IL
Posts: 9,168
Default

:

Perhaps I didn't explain clearly enough to you guys exactly what s'mores are. They're delicious -- bits of graham crackers with a sweet marshmallow filling, and topped with wonderful chocolate. That's what you guys had riding on the game last night, and you blew it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-26-2003, 01:25 PM
GASHWOUND GASHWOUND is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Merrillville, IN
Posts: 2,588
Default Re: Well, That Inspired Them!

Quote:
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Just a little more background for the team's current miasma and the manager's role therein. I haven't seen anybody else mention it, but according to Julie Swieca late last night on the Score, our guy Jerry had a team meeting before last night's game with the Twinks. You saw the results for yourself....
lol, oh boy..I guess JM was so inspiring at the meeting he put all his players to sleep..I knew when some of the players had pillows on on the field something didn't seem right...
__________________
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/w...igs/gash43.JPG

"If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you'll be fired with enthusiasm"-Vince Lombardi
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-26-2003, 01:29 PM
GASHWOUND GASHWOUND is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Merrillville, IN
Posts: 2,588
Default Re: Re: Re: Well, That Inspired Them!

Quote:
Originally posted by gosox41
I think the team is responding. There's been talk about JM's job being on the line since the end of last season. The players knew the better the played the more likely it is that JM would keep his job. The fact that they went 12-10 against crap teams says a lot about the heart and focus of this team.


Bob
That's what I'm thinkin..The players don't respect Jerry, and so don't give a crap if they play hard or not for him. If they did, the players wouldn't look like Night of the Living Dead out there..
The players want him out of here..the fans want him out of here..maybe we need to bring big signs to the game that says to get the point across. And I'm not kidding about that last point...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-26-2003, 02:47 PM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default



"As I've said many times in the past, if you come to the park, we will find a better manager."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-26-2003, 05:04 PM
Procol Harum Procol Harum is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 3,775
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
:

Perhaps I didn't explain clearly enough to you guys exactly what s'mores are. They're delicious -- bits of graham crackers with a sweet marshmallow filling, and topped with wonderful chocolate. That's what you guys had riding on the game last night, and you blew it.
Woo-hoo!! And if they don't shake things up soon, the end-of-the-year Pizza Party is in jeopardy, too!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-26-2003, 07:39 PM
PaleHoseGeorge's Avatar
PaleHoseGeorge PaleHoseGeorge is offline
Webmaster - French Fryer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: W. Connecticut
Posts: 14,919
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
:

Perhaps I didn't explain clearly enough to you guys exactly what s'mores are. They're delicious -- bits of graham crackers with a sweet marshmallow filling, and topped with wonderful chocolate. That's what you guys had riding on the game last night, and you blew it.
I propose that from now on, the pathetic Sox loss on the evening of April 25, 2003 be forever known, remembered, and referred to as "The S'mores Massacre".

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-26-2003, 07:56 PM
WinningUgly!'s Avatar
WinningUgly! WinningUgly! is offline
Sanitation Engineer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ottawa, IL
Posts: 5,519
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
:

Perhaps I didn't explain clearly enough to you guys exactly what s'mores are. They're delicious -- bits of graham crackers with a sweet marshmallow filling, and topped with wonderful chocolate. That's what you guys had riding on the game last night, and you blew it.
In tonight's team meeting...

"Ok guys, I tried ice cream last year & that didn't do it. Last night the s'mores thing didn't work out so well either. Luckily, my tinkering is not just limited to the game of baseball. I think you all will be pleasantly surprised...."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-27-2003, 12:34 AM
MJL_Sox_Fan MJL_Sox_Fan is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Arlington Heights
Posts: 52
Default

The point is that maybe the players are at fault as much as the manager, but it is a lot more expensive to replace the players. Jerry wake up! and wake your players up before it is too late for the you and this season!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.