Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2003, 05:05 PM
Banned

Default The Breakdown

Chicago White Sox vs. Kansas City Royals
March 31, 2003

Final Score: Royals 3 White Sox 0

Positives:

-Frank looked better at the plate; he was on base three out of his four plate appearances
-Buehrle did not pitch badly; the offense did not give him any run support
-Jimenez and Crede made some solid plays defensively; Rowand did a nice job, as well
-Magglio hit the ball hard, as did Valentin

Negatives:

-Konerko did nothing
-Carlos Lee was clueless out there
-Alomar should not have played, period.
-Manuel made several bad decisions
-no one came through in clutch situations
Old 03-31-2003, 05:58 PM
WSI Guru

Sounds like last year doesn't it? (especially the part about Manager Gandhi, no clutch hitting abd bad baserunning)

Lip
Old 03-31-2003, 06:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Sounds like last year doesn't it? (especially the part about Manager Gandhi, no clutch hitting abd bad baserunning)

Lip
I was watching the game in a bar and the sound wasn't on. I have a question when Frank tried to score on Konerko's weak grounder to 3B. Was the 'Contact play' on or was Frank free to run on his own.

It looks to me like the same mistakes the Sox made last year. I can't stand the contact play to begin with. Why not see where the ball goes before just running. This could have run the Sox out of a big inning. Konerko may have beat out that hit because it was hit so softly if Frank didn't run. Worst case it should have been second and third and one out.

While it may not have effected the outcome of the game, I'm assuming Manuel put the contact play on. I'll chalk this loss up to bad management.

Bob
Old 03-31-2003, 06:22 PM
Webmaster - French Fryer

Down more than one run on the road, NOBODY should be going home from third unless the ball reaches the outfield.

Konerko had a truly awesome day today, didn't he?
Old 03-31-2003, 06:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Thursday: Arizona
Friday: Houston, Texas
Saturday: Houston, Texas
Sunday: Birmingham, Alabama
Monday: Kansas City, Missouri

I wonder if the Sox are dragging their (rear-ends). This isn't meant as an excuse but perhaps as an explanation.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 03-31-2003, 06:40 PM
WSI Guru

Uncle Jerry must sure need that additional revenue to stave off bankruptcy!

Lip
Old 03-31-2003, 07:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Lip
Never too early to be negative!
Old 03-31-2003, 07:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Uncle Jerry must sure need that additional revenue to stave off bankruptcy!

Lip
Phil Rogers:

Quote:
Grabbing the cash: You can tell a lot about a team's need for cash flow by how it handles the days leading up to the season opener. The desperate ones fly around the country liked crazed salesmen while the fat cats take a quick breather.
The Rockies, Rangers and White Sox did the most traveling.
Colorado is spending the weekend traveling from Tucson, Ariz., to Las Vegas to Round Rock, Texas, to Tulsa, Okla., before opening the season in Houston. Texas went from Surprise, Ariz., to San Francisco and Sacramento before flying down the coast to Anaheim. The White Sox are going from Tucson to Kansas City via Houston and Birmingham, Ala.
Twenty-six teams will have a day off to work out or relax before the season begins. The White Sox, Texas, Anaheim and San Francisco are scheduled to play exhibition games on the eve of their opener.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:04 PM
WSI Guru

Kermit:

I know where you're coming from but frankly I was totally pissed off at the way these buffoons looked today so cut me some slack OK?

It's OPENING DAY for god's sake, the Sox could have at least looked like they gave a damn don't you think? You know, come out... kick some rear... and set the tone for the year. Instead they looked like they were in a morgue.

Also I'm sure you read WSI's Totally Biased Game Recap authored by Pale Hose George and have seen the other comments from angry fans on the other threads. I just think if you're going to rip me for being negative then in fairness you need to rip those other folks as well. I didn't use the word "corpseball," others did.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 03-31-2003 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Location: East Meadow(Long Island), NY *I live on the Dan Ryan expressway*

Quote:
Kermit:

I know where you're coming from but frankly I was totally pissed off at the way these buffoons looked today so cut me some slack OK?

It's OPENING DAY for god's sake, the Sox could have at least looked like they gave a damn don't you think? You know, come out... kick some rear... and set the tone for the year. Instead they looked like they were in a morgue.

Lip
YEAH, and i figured with Burly-Man pitching the effort and confidence would of been there, but Today the SOX were as confident as a duck floating around upside down. searching for a small breath of air...only to come up empty handed

BE GOOD
Old 03-31-2003, 10:29 PM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

Quote:

Lip
Lip, you forgot the part about not being able to do a damn thing against a young, no-name pitcher.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:39 PM
WSI Personality

I'm pretty sure that Frank ran home on the Konerko grounder throught his own poor judgement. I don't think any manager in baseball would put the contact play on when the man on third's run still leaves you behind a run and there were nobody out. Furthermore, it seemed to me that Frank hesitated a bit during his first step or two which tells me that this was his own decision. Frank hit well today, so hopefully we can chalk this one up to an early season brain fart. The real test will be to see how smart the team plays day in and day out. This talen should be good for 80 wins, but it's still up to the Sox players to win another 15.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Perhaps losing on Opening Day was a good omen for the Sox. Before Monday, they'd lost only one season opener since 1997. That came in 2000, the year they won the AL Central. - My favorite Cubune writer, Teddy Greenstein.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:54 PM
WSI Guru

According to Thomas comments in the Tribune, the 3rd base coach told him to go (Bruce Kimm) they were trying to "shake" the team up (LOL).

Thomas also said he had a "great jump" and thought he would make it "easily" (LOL,LOL)

Lip
Old 03-31-2003, 11:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

when I was watching the game, when Frank slid into home, he hit the bat, which at first may not seem like a big deal, but it got caught on Mayne's legs, not moving out of the way, therefor stopping Thomas' foot from hitting homeplate, otherwise it looked like he beat the throw.

But that's just my opinion