Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2003, 06:51 PM
WSI Personality

Default KW responds to Buerhle

A couple of good quotes from the Southtown:
Quote:
"Sometimes, it's hard to see the humor in some things," White Sox general manager Ken Williams said Tuesday.
Quote:
Buehrle did more or less the same thing last year at the St. Louis writers' dinner, drawing Williams' wrath after telling Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty, "Anything you can do to get me here, I'd love to play for the Cards."

This time, he drew an exasperated sigh.

"Maybe I'm old-fashioned," Williams said. "But I'd expect a little more loyalty toward the organization that gave you an opportunity to play professional baseball."
Quote:
Williams, when discussing Buehrle, is fond of mentioning Oakland's Barry Zito, Mark Mulder and Tim Hudson, all of whom signed long-term contracts before reaching arbitration eligibility. Hudson's deal, signed in August 2000, was for five years and $14.7 million; Mulder's, signed in September 2001, was for four years and $14.2 million; and Zito's, signed in May 2002, was for four years and $9.3 million.

Buehrle, who has won 35 games over the last two seasons compared to 33 for Hudson and 40 each for Mulder and Zito, is believed to be looking for Mulder money while the Sox were offering a deal closer in value to Zito's.
Quote:
At any rate, Williams is still hoping to do a one-year contract without being forced to renew Buehrle this season, which would be about the only reason in the history of Buehrle's affiliation with the Sox to think he'd stay here once he becomes eligible for free agency after 2006. Buehrle's agent, Jack Berry, sounded less than optimistic Tuesday when asked about negotiations, saying, "As far as Mark's contract goes, there's really nothing to say."
Quote:
"He was just having a little fun with the media based on what happened at last year's banquet," Berry said.
Quote:
Williams may be taking it a little personally because of the role he played in Buehrle's promotion to the majors in 2000, when he was the Sox's vice president of player development. Williams recalls telling an audience that included Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf and then-GM Ron Schueler, "I'd stake my reputation that this guy can come up right now and help us."
Quote:
"Taking that into consideration, taking into consideration our efforts over the last year to provide him financial security for life yeah, we were a little hurt by his comments," Williams said.
Quote:
Last year, I was a little more forceful in my response," Williams said. "This year, I won't even waste the time. He knows our feelings. He chose to do it again.

"I'll focus on what happens when he takes the ball every fifth day and that's pretty special."
Quote:
No doubt, Buehrle will shrug it all off. That's what he did last year when the first Cardinals story began to circulate.

"Come on, I was kidding," Buehrle said then. "I grew up a Cards fan, but I love Chicago. It was a joke."

Maybe you believed him then. Maybe you'll even believe him when he shares a dais Saturday with Williams for a Q&A with fans in what surely will be the can't-miss session of this weekend's SoxFest at the Hyatt Regency Chicago.

Just remember how adept Buehrle is at playing to the crowd.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:03 PM
WSI Personality

"Maybe I'm old-fashioned," Williams said. "But I'd expect a little more loyalty toward the organization that gave you an opportunity to play professional baseball."

loyalty....you mean the way you (KW) showed buehrle loyalty last year when you cut his salary 15k???...loyalty is a two way street...
Old 01-30-2003, 08:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by baggio202

loyalty....you mean the way you (KW) showed buehrle loyalty last year when you cut his salary 15k???...loyalty is a two way street...
You're telling that story wrong. What the Sox cut was the amount of the raise they gave him. Burly still made more last year than he did the previous year, he just made 15k less than he could have because he didn't accept the offer the Sox made in the first place ansd wanted more. The Sox decided to pay him only what they had to.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:28 PM
Clean-up Crew

Quote:
Originally posted by Kilroy
You're telling that story wrong. What the Sox cut was the amount of the raise they gave him. Burly still made more last year than he did the previous year, he just made 15k less than he could have because he didn't accept the offer the Sox made in the first place ansd wanted more. The Sox decided to pay him only what they had to.
Souds like loyalty to me!
Old 01-30-2003, 08:44 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Souds like loyalty to me!
Last time I checked loyalty went both ways,the Sox offered Mark a raise that he refused,knowing full well the Sox would set his salary regardless of what he wanted.

I think he,and his agent have handled this whole situation quite badly,or they are trying to force the Sox hand in their dealings with him.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:52 PM
Clean-up Crew

Quote:
Originally posted by daver
Last time I checked loyalty went both ways,the Sox offered Mark a raise that he refused,knowing full well the Sox would set his salary regardless of what he wanted.

I think he,and his agent have handled this whole situation quite badly,or they are trying to force the Sox hand in their dealings with him.
Mark was never offered the contract that was reported.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:59 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Mark was never offered the contract that was reported.
We are talking about last offseason,not this offseason.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:02 PM
Clean-up Crew

Quote:
Originally posted by daver
We are talking about last offseason,not this offseason.
I wont take his side for last year. that was after 1 good season. He should have taken the raise.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:26 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I wont take his side for last year. that was after 1 good season. He should have taken the raise.
Exactly, I dont understand why anyone would take his side on this, Buehrle is unprofessional and somewhat childish IMO. And hey if he dont wanna be here, dont let the door kick you in the butt on the way out. But maybe Im a little to harsh, after all I am one of the few that would have liked to see Frank go somewhere else after all the whinning he did.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:18 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally posted by chisox06
Exactly, I dont understand why anyone would take his side on this, Buehrle is unprofessional and somewhat childish IMO. And hey if he dont wanna be here, dont let the door kick you in the butt on the way out. But maybe Im a little to harsh, after all I am one of the few that would have liked to see Frank go somewhere else after all the whinning he did.
there are two sides to this story and only one side has been heard....a few of us have heard from some people very close to mark and lets just say there is some question as to if kw was being totaly honest when he said he offered buehrle "barry zito type money"...the truth will come out soon enough...im sure it could have been handle a little bit better by buehrle but remember he is 22 -23 years old with no experience at this sort of thing..the sox definately could have handle this situation a lot better and they dont have youthful inexperience as an excuse...one thing is for sure...mark is learning the business side of baseball in a hurry
Old 01-31-2003, 12:22 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
RPS....wasnt buehrle only asking for like 400k last year...i remember a big arguement going on as to whether it was smart to piss off our possible future ace to save 80k or so??...i didnt think 400k was inappropriate for what he did in '01...unless im off on the figures..
Old 01-31-2003, 01:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
RPS....wasnt buehrle only asking for like 400k last year...i remember a big arguement going on as to whether it was smart to piss off our possible future ace to save 80k or so??...i didnt think 400k was inappropriate for what he did in '01...unless im off on the figures..

Well at the time I was on the fence....but do you really feel that Mark's behavior since that contract issue is something to build a real strong case upon?

The Sox offerign Zito money and Buerhle wanting Mulder money....that makes sense to me from both sides....I ahve no problem if Mark is confident enough to think he will continue to pitch well and injury free and thus make more money even if playing year to year, but this St. Louis stuff is bushleague at best, and has to stop
Old 01-31-2003, 02:43 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally posted by RichH55
Well at the time I was on the fence....but do you really feel that Mark's behavior since that contract issue is something to build a real strong case upon?

The Sox offerign Zito money and Buerhle wanting Mulder money....that makes sense to me from both sides....I ahve no problem if Mark is confident enough to think he will continue to pitch well and injury free and thus make more money even if playing year to year, but this St. Louis stuff is bushleague at best, and has to stop
it doesnt b other me at all...i wish more players who grew up loving the sox would say that..instead we got guys like cliff floyd , a south sider i believe, who put a no trade clause to the sox in his contract...

but while it doesnt bother me it seems to be bothering enough sox fans that buehrle probably should consider it if the situation arises again..i mean we frequently boo frank thomas..id hate to see that happen to our ace pitcher too...

as for the zito offer...remember there is so rumblings coming from the south that says that KW didnt quite come up with a barry zito type offer...so we dont who is telling the truth for sure..but judging from past KW dealings id have to side with mark...KW's trackrecord when it comes to honesty and integrity doesnt seem to be the best...

this will all play out eventually and we will see who was telling the truth...
Old 01-31-2003, 07:27 AM
Banned

Default buerhle

As a former minor league hockey player, I can atest that sure you always WANT to play for your fav. team. Hell, what athlete didn't grow up rooting for a favorite team?

But here's where some professionalism comes in. Keep your mouth shut about the Buerhle-like situation. Mark needs to grow up. He's a Sox until he NOT a Sox.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
as for the zito offer...remember there is so rumblings coming from the south that says that KW didnt quite come up with a barry zito type offer...so we dont who is telling the truth for sure..but judging from past KW dealings id have to side with mark...KW's trackrecord when it comes to honesty and integrity doesnt seem to be the best...

this will all play out eventually and we will see who was telling the truth...
I keep hearing about "rumblings" that KW didn't really offer Buehrle Zito-type money. Where do these "rumblings" come from? I find it hard to believe that KW would tell the media that he had offered Buehrle $ in keeping with Sabathia and others if he hadn't - it would be so easy for Buehrle and his agent to refute, yet neither have done so. So until someone can give me a reason to believe those "rumblings," they're nothing but unsubstantiated and unlikely rumors, IMHO.

Also, please refresh my memory as to why you think KW doesn't have a good track record when it comes to honesty and integrity. I mean, I don't think he's done a particularly good job as GM (though he clearly has done better lately, and I do think virtually all of his deals make sense in theory), but I can't recall any reason to distrust him (or, I should say, any reason to distrust him any more than I distrust the management of any professional sports team).