White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-16-2002, 12:32 PM
balboner balboner is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 663
Default Konerko for Ortiz?

Am I the only one scared to death about the mention Phil Rogers makes to the Giants wanting Konerko for Ortiz? Please tell me KW would never do this!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-16-2002, 01:14 PM
CHISOXFAN13 CHISOXFAN13 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Oak Lawn
Posts: 5,625
Default

My guess is Frisco wants Konerko, which is why this deal hasn't and won't happen.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-16-2002, 01:14 PM
gosox3072 gosox3072 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lisle
Posts: 771
Default

i missed where it said that we would trake konerko

GOSOX
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-16-2002, 01:18 PM
VeeckAsInWreck VeeckAsInWreck is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Over By Midway Airport
Posts: 3,608
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by gosox3072
i missed where it said that we would trake konerko

GOSOX
I haven't seen that anywhere either, but I think that would be wishfull thinking on the Giants part. If the Giants are looking for a 1B we can send them Jeff Liefer and cash(obviously). Anyone else have a different idea?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-16-2002, 01:21 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 31,563
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Ortiz has the potential to be Todd Ritchie in 2003. This trade is a joke. Konerko for anyone mediocre starting pitcher is a joke. I wouldn't even trade Konerko straight up for Colon right now, because Colon will be gone after a year.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-16-2002, 01:59 PM
joecrede joecrede is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,340
Default

I don't understand the love of Konerko. He's somewhere between average and slightly above average for his position in the AL. I'm also in the group that doesn't think he is going to get appreciably better. I think it's a mistake to count him among the core of this team.

Lets be completely unbiased in our evaluation of Konerko. I don't ever want the South side to have a player like Mark Grace, someone who is kept around because he's a fan favorite even though he puts his team at a competitive disadvantage.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-16-2002, 02:07 PM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by joecrede
I don't understand the love of Konerko. He's somewhere between average and slightly above average for his position in the AL. I'm also in the group that doesn't think he is going to get appreciably better. I think it's a mistake to count him among the core of this team.

Lets be completely unbiased in our evaluation of Konerko. I don't ever want the South side to have a player like Mark Grace, someone who is kept around because he's a fan favorite even though he puts his team at a competitive disadvantage.
I agree that Konerko probably won't get much better, but I don't think he puts this team at a disadvantage. He hits for average, power, and he drives in runs. He is not Gold Glove material at first base, but his fielding is solid enough to warrant him playing 1B on a regular basis. The only glaring weakness he has is his lack of speed, which has cost him several infield hits.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-16-2002, 02:13 PM
Dadawg_77 Dadawg_77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Side of Chicago
Posts: 8,252
Default

Is it just me or did anyone else go damn there is KW trying to get guys who are about to be release again? The two threads with Ortiz confused me for a sec.
__________________
"You'll get one good pitch to hit. One good pitch. That's all. Don't count on more. So you better know the strike zone. And when you get that one good pitch you better hit it and hit it hard. Remember, just one good pitch"

-Ted Williams as told in The Teamates.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-16-2002, 02:26 PM
hold2dibber hold2dibber is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Western 'burbs (of Chicago)
Posts: 3,888
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
I haven't seen that anywhere either, but I think that would be wishfull thinking on the Giants part. If the Giants are looking for a 1B we can send them Jeff Liefer and cash(obviously). Anyone else have a different idea?
Please tell me you're joking. Do you honestly think the Giants would take Jeff friggin' Liefer for Ortiz? While we're at it, why don't we trade Rowand for Matt Morris and Graffy for Andy Pettite? Ortiz for the past 4 years:

'99: 18-9, 3.81
'00: 14-12, 5.01
'01: 17-9, 3.29
'02: 14-10, 3.61

He wins about 15 games each year, and other than '00, has had an ERA under 4.00. He has pitched between 195 and 218 innings in each of those years. He is 28 years old. Frankly, there aren't a lot of starting pitchers in the major leagues that can match that track record. I'm not saying that I'm sold on PK for Ortiz (he gives up too many base runners and his Ks declined appreciably this past year), but I sure as hell would consider it. The Sox need quality pitching and you have to give up quality to get quality. Jeff Liefer does not constitute quality. Plus, despite the fact that I really like PK, it wouldn't be too hard to come up with someone who could come reasonably close to his production. For example, compare the 162 game career averages of David Ortiz, just released by the Twins, and PK:

Konerko (26 years old):

581 ABs, 27 HRs, 99 RBIs, 50 BBs, 83 Ks, .287 BA, .348 OBP, .483 SLG.

Ortiz (27 years old):

526 ABs, 21 HRs, 85 RBIs, 66 BBs, 121 Ks, .266 BA, .348 OBP, .461 SLG.

Konerko is clearly better, but the fact that the Twins would simply release someone whose career averages aren't too far off of PK's should show you that it wouldn't be too tough for the Sox to find someone at 1B who could put up decent numbers. Again, I don't know if I'd do this deal, but I think you can make a pretty good argument either way.
__________________
Pitcher Chuck Finley, after ex-wife Tawny Kitaen accused him in divorce court of being a heavy drinker, marijuana smoker and steroid user: "I can't believe she left out the cross-dressing.''
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-16-2002, 02:39 PM
Bobby Thigpen Bobby Thigpen is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: "Downstate" Illinois
Posts: 4,919
Default

Joe, what reasons do you have for saying that Konerko will never improve? He has improved every year he's been in the majors. He may not make giagantic strides every year, but he is steadily improving, and he's only 26. I don't see how getting rid of a guy who can hit .300, 30 hrs, and 100 rbi on average for possibly the next 5 to 7 years can possibly be a good idea. Sure he's my favorite player, but stat wise I don't see how you can compare him to Mark Grace. He hits for average, power, run production, and isn't as bad a fielder as Frank. I especially don't see how trading him for the next Ritchie would be a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-16-2002, 08:29 PM
joecrede joecrede is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,340
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
Joe, what reasons do you have for saying that Konerko will never improve? He has improved every year he's been in the majors. He may not make giagantic strides every year, but he is steadily improving, and he's only 26. I don't see how getting rid of a guy who can hit .300, 30 hrs, and 100 rbi on average for possibly the next 5 to 7 years can possibly be a good idea. Sure he's my favorite player, but stat wise I don't see how you can compare him to Mark Grace. He hits for average, power, run production, and isn't as bad a fielder as Frank. I especially don't see how trading him for the next Ritchie would be a good idea.
Konerko is what he is a slightly better than average offensive first baseman. This is a position that I want the Sox to have one of the top 3 in the league consistently and I don't see Konerko ever doing that. I'd rather have Durazo, Nick Johnson, maybe even Hafner or Pena to name a few. Also, I agree with Kermit's article that Lee has a brighter future than Konerko.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-16-2002, 08:40 PM
Bobby Thigpen Bobby Thigpen is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: "Downstate" Illinois
Posts: 4,919
Default

Joe, do you honestly believe that the four people you mentioned will eventually become better than Pauly? Johnson I could see, but certainly not Pena. I have to believe that he will never materialize. Why else has everyone wanted to get rid of him the last year and a half? As far as Durazo is concerned I don't ever see him doing anything. I think he is just an overhyped utility player. PK is an established good first baseman, and he's only 26. He's got another ten years left. I don't know about you, but I certainly didn't forsee Thome going balistic like he has. What is to say PK won't do the same?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-16-2002, 08:48 PM
WinningUgly!'s Avatar
WinningUgly! WinningUgly! is offline
Sanitation Engineer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ottawa, IL
Posts: 5,519
Default

Ortiz is a very good middle of the rotation guy. His walks scare the hell out of me, especially if Valentin is going to be at SS everyday. Can you say big inning?

I'd take Ortiz for the right deal, but I wouldn't give up Konerko for him. I'm also against trading Carlos Lee, unless it means Borchard becomes an everyday player. Any deal that would make Jeff Liefer our everyday leftfielder is a bad one.

If SF is truly looking to cut payroll by moving Ortiz...Rowand, Liefer & a decent pitching prospect would be somewhere to start.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-16-2002, 08:55 PM
WinningUgly!'s Avatar
WinningUgly! WinningUgly! is offline
Sanitation Engineer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ottawa, IL
Posts: 5,519
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
Joe, do you honestly believe that the four people you mentioned will eventually become better than Pauly? Johnson I could see, but certainly not Pena. I have to believe that he will never materialize. Why else has everyone wanted to get rid of him the last year and a half? As far as Durazo is concerned I don't ever see him doing anything. I think he is just an overhyped utility player. PK is an established good first baseman, and he's only 26. He's got another ten years left. I don't know about you, but I certainly didn't forsee Thome going balistic like he has. What is to say PK won't do the same?
I think Durazo is the real deal. Now that he'll be playing 1b everyday, look for him to have a monster year. In just 222 ABs last season, he managed to put up 16 HR & 48 RBI. In a full season, he could come close to tripling that production....well at least doubling it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-16-2002, 08:59 PM
kermittheefrog kermittheefrog is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Evanston, IL/Appleton, WI
Posts: 2,642
Default

I'd be in favor of the Sox trading Konerko for Russ Ortiz if we could get David Ortiz to play first base. Or someone who should put up similar numbers.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.