WSI Regular

Default Re: Koch pokes at the Twinkies

Quote:
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
ChicagoSports.com Article...

Koch expects Twins to fall
New Sox reliever says Minnesota's run of luck over
That's just terrific. The very LAST guy who should be blabbering
about the Twins is shooting his mouth off.

Last edited by DVG; 09-12-2003 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Re: Here we go again

Quote:
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Why? Just, why?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....me%2Dheadlines
i fail to see the problem. i wouldn't want our players to feel like we can't compete with the twins. koch said he thought it'd be a battle. there's a distinct difference between saying the twins are nothing to worry about and being overconfident and saying that we can play with the twins and refusing to be intimidated by them. also, i agree word for word with everything koch says. i think its good for him to have some pride in his team.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:31 AM
WSI Guru

Jeremy:

Weren't you the one who posted that you didn't think the Twins would be as "motivated" this year because they aren't going to be contracted?

Seems like the Twins just got their "motivation."

It's bad enough the Sox only get cheap players, now it looks like they've cornered the market on stupid ones to boot. I guess we should expect that...look at the owner.

It one thing to shoot your mouth off when you are clearly superior and have some something to prove it. The Sox have done SQUAT the past two years after they have shot their mouths off.

Consider yourself warned (about the 2003 season)

Lip
Old 12-10-2002, 01:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Jeremy:

Weren't you the one who posted that you didn't think the Twins would be as "motivated" this year because they aren't going to be contracted?

Seems like the Twins just got their "motivation."

It's bad enough the Sox only get cheap players, now it looks like they've cornered the market on stupid ones to boot. I guess we should expect that...look at the owner.

It one thing to shoot your mouth off when you are clearly superior and have some something to prove it. The Sox have done SQUAT the past two years after they have shot their mouths off.

Consider yourself warned (about the 2003 season)

Lip
i don't think the twins will do as well but i wasn't the one who made the comment about motivation as related to the strike. i don't profess to have a great deal of knowledge about the drive of professional athletes and i may come across as somewhat naive here but to me it seems like every team should be giving their all every single game. if a team like the twins needs the white sox to insult them in order for them to be highly motivated and to play there best, i think that's ridiculous.

also, i don't see how it doesn't work both ways. shouldn't we be just as motivated as the twins so that we don't put our foot in our mouthes? maybe we want to be motivated because we've been written off as a fluke after winning 95 games in '00. i certainly feel an intense dislike for the twins and desire to beat them as a fan. if our players can't feed off of that, we have bigger problems than running our mouthes.

what did gardenhire say? "i hope they have cable so they can watch us in the playoffs"? who's being overconfident with statements like that? do you think the twins give us the benefit of the doubt of being as good or better than them? i don't think so and there's no way they're a lock to win 95 games again in my mind. look at their pathagorean record, look at the way they beat up on our division last season. koch is exactly right, they were lucky a lot of times. lets see if they can do it again.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i don't think the twins will do as well but i wasn't the one who made the comment about motivation as related to the strike. i don't profess to have a great deal of knowledge about the drive of professional athletes and i may come across as somewhat naive here but to me it seems like every team should be giving their all every single game. if a team like the twins needs the white sox to insult them in order for them to be highly motivated and to play there best, i think that's ridiculous.

also, i don't see how it doesn't work both ways. shouldn't we be just as motivated as the twins so that we don't put our foot in our mouthes? maybe we want to be motivated because we've been written off as a fluke after winning 95 games in '00. i certainly feel an intense dislike for the twins and desire to beat them as a fan. if our players can't feed off of that, we have bigger problems than running our mouthes.

what did gardenhire say? "i hope they have cable so they can watch us in the playoffs"? who's being overconfident with statements like that? do you think the twins give us the benefit of the doubt of being as good or better than them? i don't think so and there's no way they're a lock to win 95 games again in my mind. look at their pathagorean record, look at the way they beat up on our division last season. koch is exactly right, they were lucky a lot of times. lets see if they can do it again.
Even if you agree with everything Koch said, there's still no decent reason for saying it publicly. Why would you possibly want to give your toughest division rival something to put on the bulletin board. There's no upside and there is down side (from every media account I heard last year, Durham's boneheaded comments last off season did have a motivating effect on the Twins).
Old 12-10-2002, 08:48 AM
Webmaster - French Fryer

Quote:
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Even if you agree with everything Koch said, there's still no decent reason for saying it publicly. Why would you possibly want to give your toughest division rival something to put on the bulletin board. There's no upside and there is down side (from every media account I heard last year, Durham's boneheaded comments last off season did have a motivating effect on the Twins).
Exactly. Just whisper a bunch of sweet-nothings about your opponent into their ear through the headlines. Say all the right things; how talented they are, how much you respect them, blah, blah, blah... lie your pants off, it doesn't mean ****. Keep what you really think within the clubhouse.

AFTER you've beaten them up you can crow. After you've beaten them, you might indulge yourself by crowing some more before the new season begins. Koch didn't do this.

Nope. The Sox haven't solved how to beat the Twins now for three straight seasons and Koch comes off sounding like a punk. Perfect bulletin board material for a Twins team that already had a chip on its shoulder, thanks to the last moron from the Sox to shoot his mouth off.

"I taught Billy everything I know when I was in Oakland!"
Old 12-10-2002, 09:22 AM
Banned

In the immortal words of Bart Simpson, aye f*cking carrumba.

What an IDIOT.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

bulletin board material is over rated. If your team needs that to become motivated your not very good to begin with. Do you guys really think the Twins won the division because Ray Durham said that the Sox would beat them? I for one don't think so. I think they won because they were the better team. Maybe Durham's comments helped motivate them for a few games but baseball is 162 game season. One players comments cannot get you through that many games. So pipe down I like to hear our players talking about winning. Everyone is looking for a reason to hate this guy already. I can't imagine what this board will look like if he blows a save early in the year. You people will be booing him before he ever gets a chance.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Blueprint1
bulletin board material is over rated. If your team needs that to become motivated your not very good to begin with. Do you guys really think the Twins won the division because Ray Durham said that the Sox would beat them? I for one don't think so. I think they won because they were the better team. Maybe Durham's comments helped motivate them for a few games but baseball is 162 game season. One players comments cannot get you through that many games. So pipe down I like to hear our players talking about winning. Everyone is looking for a reason to hate this guy already. I can't imagine what this board will look like if he blows a save early in the year. You people will be booing him before he ever gets a chance.
I'm not booing Billy Koch, per se -- I think he's a fine reliever.

But what I am rolling my eyes at is a player making THE EXACT SAME COMMENT as a certain other player made before last season, a comment that ended up being turned back on the Sox like a dagger (and then on to the A's -- more than one Twins player commented about how sweet it was that Ray Durham made the last out against the Twins in the playoffs).

Even if Koch thinks the Twins are due to fall, how about just shutting your mouth about it and just doing it on the field? I agree that any team that "needs" bulletin board material to get motivated is a poor excuse for a team, but why even tempt fate a second time here?

Certain Twins players are a bunch of self-absorbed, chip-on-their-shoulder, cocky punks. Koch's comments WILL be relived during the year, mark it.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

Big flippin deal. The Twins weren't as good as the rest of the Central was bad. I think expects the Sox to show up for thw whole season this year.

Maybe if the Sox showed up to play for the entire season last year, instead of just a few months of it, they would have challenged for the division.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Default Who agrees with Bill Koch's statements?

Does anyone think that Billy Koch's statements about the Twins were valid? Did every bounce go their way? Were the baseball Gods on their side? Are the Twins going to fall apart this year. Do the Sox have a legit chance to win the Central, and why?

What I am asking is if you agree with what he said, not IF he should have said it...

Just curious to hear what everybody has to say about the AL central race this year.

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Old 12-10-2002, 11:27 AM
WSI Guru

Blueprint 1 says: "So pipe down I like to hear our players talking about winning.

Talk is cheap, let's actually SEE the winning.

Also something to think about when comparing the intangibles (heart etc...)between the two clubs.

In 2001 the Sox lost most of their pitching staff to injuries and had to have a substancial second half just to finish with 83 wins...

In 2002 the Twins lost MAYS, RADKE, and MILTON for sizable stretches of the year and STILL blew away the rest of the division.

Also when you think about it, perhaps the Twins "can't miss kids" like Loshee and Santana are actually better then the Sox "can't miss kids." They performed under difficult circumstances and got to October while the Sox "can't miss kids" did very little to put the Sox back in the race in 01.

Lip
Old 12-10-2002, 11:41 AM
New At WSI

lucky and unlucky bounces tend to average out over the course of 162 games. Another intangible that can't be measured by stats is fire in the belly, and I expect the sox to have more of that next year. For example, one case in point, Frank Thomas, has a lot to prove this year.

Twins were all about desire and motivation last year, with contraction and getting no respect, etc. This year, all that desire and motivation better be on the Sox's side, which is why Koch's statement hurts their cause.

But anybody can have it all come together in a given year -- luck, talent, motivation, etc. At this time last year, how many thought it was going to be the Angels winning it all.

So yes, the Sox can compete, but who knows, maybe it finally all comes together this year for the Royals or Indians or some other surprise team. (Speaking of the Indians, why does it seem like every other GM out is there is doing their damndest to help them reload with young talent?)