White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2001, 04:44 PM
WSI Regular

Post Sox Golden Opportunity

Not that the Sox have given us any reason that this could happen, given there inability to take advantage of opportunites or delivering in critical situations. But something to ponder......

The Twins lost 3-2 today to the Mariners at the Humprhrey Dump. They are 3-9 since the All-Star break, and were just swept by the best team in the league in a stadium that holds the biggest home field advantage in the AL. The Twins confidence has to be rocked right now. Three weeks ago, they were 6 games up on the Tribe and 13 up on the Sox. Now, they are .5 games up on the Toons and 8.5 up on the Sox. And they still have 8 more away games against Oakland and Seattle. Make no mistake, this is a Twinkie collapse.

The Indians, have a b!tch of a schedule in August, with only 3 of 28 games against teams under .500. And given the shaky state of thier pitching, could find August to be thier Waterloo. (nice Napolean reference)

This is the last opportunity for the Sox to control the division's destiny and it is being handed to them. If they can come out of Cleveland and Boston with series wins, they would be in a position to run at the division and truly contend in the wild card in August. 18 of 27 games are against teams under .500.

There are only two things working against the Sox:

One, is the Twins' August which is easier with 22 of 28 games against teams under .500. The Twins have played weaker teams well, but given the losing streak, these teams may look at Minnesota as vulnerable at really take it to them. Minnesota doesn't seem to be playing with the same swagger as before the break.

Second, is the Sox themselves. They need to prove to themselves that they should be near the top of this division and the AL, and the way to do it is to beat the teams in front of you. They simply haven't done it yet.

But if they do (much like they great seven game stretch against the Indians & Yankees in 2000) I don't think there would be any stopping them.
Old 07-23-2001, 04:49 PM
MMXXIII

Default I agree...

I agree... therefore I am crazy. As much as they have tried to tear hope from me, this damn White Sox team will not let me give up on the season yet. I think I am going to committ myself because of that.
Old 07-23-2001, 05:22 PM
Banned

I have always said that the Sox were going to win the division and I am not going to change that stance now. They have moved from 15 to 8.5 back. No reason to stop now.

BTW, I didn't know that Napolean had visited Waterloo, IA.
Old 07-23-2001, 05:32 PM
WSI Personality

Every time I'm about ready to give up on this team they go and pull off another hot streak and somehow manage to stay on the outer edge of contention. I can't help but love the heart this team has, and the thought of them surging back and bringing the central division championship back to the comisk sends chills up and down my spine.
Quote:
BTW, I didn't know that Napolean had visited Waterloo, IA.
Me either, there isn't much there worth conquering.
Old 07-23-2001, 06:03 PM
The Grand Wazoo

If he did visit Waterloo Iowa I hope he turned off the corn when he left.
Fascist little bastard probably didn't though.