Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2019, 02:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Friday afternoon game?

Anyone know why the Sox and A's are playing an afternoon game at Sox Park on Friday?
Something different.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-07-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:44 PM
WSI High Priest

They are screening Field of Dreams after the game.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:45 PM
WSI High Priest

They are showing "Field of Dreams" on the video board after the game. Not sure which was planned first, the odd game time or the movie. I've got tickets and may stay for part of the movie (depending on traffic).

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 8-5
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

285-246
Old 08-07-2019, 03:18 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

The Sox want to be like the Cubs.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:46 AM
WSI Personality

I think it may have something to do with the White Sox possibly playing a game next year at the Field of Dreams.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:56 PM
WSI Prelate

When I was a kid, into the 1970s, the White Sox often played a Friday afternoon game in late July or early August because of the game between the College All-Stars and the NFL champs at Soldier Field. That game hasn't been played in decades, and the White Sox wouldn't defer to an exhibition football game anymore if it were, but a Friday afternoon game in August doesn't feel strange to me.

It's seeing WGN radio represented for White Sox coverage that still feels strange to me.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
When I was a kid, into the 1970s, the White Sox often played a Friday afternoon game in late July or early August because of the game between the College All-Stars and the NFL champs at Soldier Field. That game hasn't been played in decades, and the White Sox wouldn't defer to an exhibition football game anymore if it were, but a Friday afternoon game in August doesn't feel strange to me.

It's seeing WGN radio represented for White Sox coverage that still feels strange to me.
My first White Sox game was on Friday, July 15, 1955 and it was a day game.
The Sox played the old Washington Senators on Thursday and Friday at Comiskey and the Orioles came in for a Saturday afternoon game and then a Sunday DH. This was because it was the week of the MLB All Star game and there were only 3 days off back then with the season starting again on that Thursday.
Quirks like that happened a couple times a year back then as I remember more than a few times that Sox played 2 different teams on a weekend.
Teams also went on long road trips playing as many as 14 games in 4 cities. I brought this up one time on WSI as the Sox once went on a 3 week road trip in 6 cities, that one I have no idea why. It was again in 1955, the Sox were on the road from July 26 to Aug 14 visiting NY, Washington, Boston, Baltimore, KC and Detroit, only town they didn't visit was Cleveland.
The reason they played an afternoon game that Friday was because it was a get-away game for Washington and unless there was an off day the next day, they always played an afternoon game on get away day.
Have to remember that teams were still traveling by train most of the time back then.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-10-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:56 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
My first White Sox game was on Friday, July 15, 1955 and it was a day game.
The Sox played the old Washington Senators on Thursday and Friday at Comiskey and the Orioles came in for a Saturday afternoon game and then a Sunday DH. This was because it was the week of the MLB All Star game and there were only 3 days off back then with the season starting again on that Thursday. Quirks like then happened a couple times a year back then as I remember more than a few times that Sox played different teams on a weekend. Teams also went on long road trips playing as many as 14 games in 4 cities. I brought this up one time on WSI as the Sox once went on a 3 week road trip in 6 cities, that one I have no idea why. It was again in 1955, the Sox were on the road from July 26 to Aug 14 visiting NY, Washington, Boston, Baltimore, KC and Detroit, only town they didn't visit was Cleveland.
The reason they played an afternoon game that Friday was because it was a get-away game for Washington and unless there was an off day the next day, they always played an afternoon game on get away day.
Have to remember that teams were still traveling by train most of the time back then.
Exaxctly travel took a lot longer so it made sense to have longer trips to avoid extra days off. When it takes a day to travel from Chicago to NY then you need to spend as much time as you can on the East coast. Not sure there were any west coast AL teams back then. Both Dodgers and Giants were in NL and hadn't moved yet. No Seattle, Angels or even Rangers back then.

Just checked and as far west as the team had to travel was Kansas City - when the A's were still there. Weren't even any southern teams. MLB was concentrated in the Midwest and Northeast.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...tandings.shtml

Even so a train ride to boston in 1955 would have been a long trip so they probably stopped in Detroit then Cleveland and onward and might have even done it on the way back too or used Cleveland on the return trip. Such a different game.

Edit: I see they didn't visit Cleveland on way back from your post, but the concept remains makes sense to travel in ways to split up the travel distance. Also explains why there were a lot more DH back then - would have needed a lot more travel days in the schedule.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Last edited by voodoochile; 08-10-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Exaxctly travel took a lot longer so it made sense to have longer trips to avoid extra days off. When it takes a day to travel from Chicago to NY then you need to spend as much time as you can on the East coast. Not sure there were any west coast AL teams back then. Both Dodgers and Giants were in NL and hadn't moved yet. No Seattle, Angels or even Rangers back then.

Just checked and as far west as the team had to travel was Kansas City - when the A's were still there. Weren't even any southern teams. MLB was concentrated in the Midwest and Northeast.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...tandings.shtml

Even so a train ride to boston in 1955 would have been a long trip so they probably stopped in Detroit then Cleveland and onward and might have even done it on the way back too or used Cleveland on the return trip. Such a different game.

Edit: I see they didn't visit Cleveland on way back from your post, but the concept remains makes sense to travel in ways to split up the travel distance. Also explains why there were a lot more DH back then - would have needed a lot more travel days in the schedule.
The Dodgers and Giants moved to California in 1958, just about the time the Jet Age was
starting to bloom. Walter O'Malley wanted to move the Dodgers but he needed the Giants to go along otherwise the NL would not approve the move of only the one team.

Though I remember those days well it's still hard to believe that 2 seasons after the Dodgers won their only World Series (1955) while in Brooklyn they were on their way to California. They also appeared in the 1956 WS, so one season after winning the NL Pennant, they were gone.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:41 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
The Dodgers and Giants moved to California in 1958, just about the time the Jet Age was
starting to bloom. Walter O'Malley wanted to move the Dodgers but he needed the Giants to go along otherwise the NL would not approve the move of only the one team.

Though I remember those days well it's still hard to believe that 2 seasons after the Dodgers won their only World Series (1955) while in Brooklyn they were on their way to California. They also appeared in the 1956 WS, so one season after winning the NL Pennant, they were gone.
And people are still mad about it today...
Old 08-10-2019, 12:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
And people are still mad about it today...
I have a good buddy from Air Force days and he lived in Brooklyn until the eighties before moving to Manhattan and he is still extremely pissed off.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Baseball history is so full of what ifs. This happened before I was born, but I've read that O'Malley moved the Dodgers because he didn't permission to build a new privately financed dome stadium in a corner of Flatbush. The proposed stadium was designed by Buckminster Fuller and apparently was featured on the cover of Brooklyn Dodgers program in the late 1950s. Whether the need to move from Ebbets Field was inspired by the small seating capacity or the changing racial makeup of the neighborhood (as I have read), I really don't know. But the history of baseball would have been seriously different if baseball had moved west exclusively through expansion. Or maybe Bill Veeck's White Sox and Bob Short's original Senators would have moved to California, with the White Sox becoming the team of the stars and Harmon Killebrew playing his home games at Candlestick.

In any case, a Friday afternoon White Sox home game in August with the Sox losing 7-0 to the A's feels like something that easily could have happened in 1970. I do remember Bill Melton walking-off a 1970 summer Friday afternoon game, but it wasn't against the A's.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Baseball history is so full of what ifs. This happened before I was born, but I've read that O'Malley moved the Dodgers because he didn't permission to build a new privately financed dome stadium in a corner of Flatbush. The proposed stadium was designed by Buckminster Fuller and apparently was featured on the cover of Brooklyn Dodgers program in the late 1950s. Whether the need to move from Ebbets Field was inspired by the small seating capacity or the changing racial makeup of the neighborhood (as I have read), I really don't know. But the history of baseball would have been seriously different if baseball had moved west exclusively through expansion. Or maybe Bill Veeck's White Sox and Bob Short's original Senators would have moved to California, with the White Sox becoming the team of the stars and Harmon Killebrew playing his home games at Candlestick.

In any case, a Friday afternoon White Sox home game in August with the Sox losing 7-0 to the A's feels like something that easily could have happened in 1970. I do remember Bill Melton walking-off a 1970 summer Friday afternoon game, but it wasn't against the A's.
You talk about the Sox moving to California but when the Cubs were going bad in the 50s and drawing flies, there whispers of them moving to LA. The Flubs had strong ties to LA what with the old Angel's, their AAA farm team playing in Wrigley Field in south LA for a few decades and the Cubs training on Catalina Island for many years.
One year the Cubs in the late 50s were thinking of playing a few night games a year in Soldier Field with home plate located in the south end of the horse shoe, a little like the old Polo Grounds in configuration. The idea was dropped due to the poor lighting in old Soldier Field, it was bad as I attended quite a few College All Star games and some other events in the old place.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 08-10-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
You talk about the Sox moving to California but when the Cubs were going bad in the 50s and drawing flies, there whispers of them moving to LA. The Flubs had strong ties to LA what with the old Angel's, their AAA farm team playing in Wrigley Field in south LA for a few decades and the Cubs training on Catalina Island for many years.
One year the Cubs in the late 50s were thinking of playing a few night games a year in Soldier Field with home plate located in the south end of the horse shoe, a little like the old Polo Grounds in configuration. The idea was dropped due to the poor lighting in old Soldier Field, it was bad as I attended quite a few College All Star games and some other events in the old place.

Soldier Field lighting was so poor in the early 1970s that the College All-Star football game was televised in black-and-white. I mentioned the possibility of the White Sox moving because I have read that Bill Veeck had talked bout moving a team to California in the 1950s. I don't know of any actual plan or proposal.