Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2019, 09:40 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Default Looking Forward

Obviously, I don't know what to expect from the pitching but was looking at the lineup possibility and came up with this starting second half of 2020 or early 2021:

1: Robert
2. Madrigal
3. Moncada
4. Vaughn
5. Eloy
6. Anderson
7. Collins
8. DH (Burger? Sheets?)
9. RF (Tilson? Basabe? Rutherford? FA?)

That's got the potential to score a LOT of runs. The only question becomes if Eloy or Vaughn turn out to be serious MVP candidates and then everyone bumps up one and/or they flip and Madrigal drops to 9.

Edit: And as someone who's been following the minors like never before this season, I have to say this makes me giggle...

Edit 2: I have already moved one post that tried to hijack this thread to talk about their dislike for management. I will move others and if you successfully hijack this thread to talk about that stuff AGAIN, I will give you a rip, period - you have been warned. Let's talk about the players - both hitters and pitchers, but keep the other stuff out of here.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Last edited by voodoochile; 06-10-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:57 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Wouldn't surprise me if Abreu is the DH in a couple years too
Old 06-10-2019, 10:31 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if Abreu is the DH in a couple years too

Are you saying that abreu will return to the Sox in a couple years and be their DH as a aged veteran?
Old 06-10-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Are you saying that abreu will return to the Sox in a couple years and be their DH as a aged veteran?
I almost included Abreu in the lineup, but since he's not sure to be here then I left him out. It wouldn't surprise me if the Sox signed him to an extension or traded him then brought him back this off season. They really like his leadership and consistency.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:25 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I almost included Abreu in the lineup, but since he's not sure to be here then I left him out. It wouldn't surprise me if the Sox signed him to an extension or traded him then brought him back this off season. They really like his leadership and consistency.

I dont see that happening. Abreu would have to agree to be a full time DH.

And I still dont get how someone can be a leader if he cant communicate with the whole team.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Obviously, I don't know what to expect from the pitching but was looking at the lineup possibility and came up with this starting second half of 2020 or early 2021:

1: Robert
2. Madrigal
3. Moncada
4. Vaughn
5. Eloy
6. Anderson

7. Collins
8. DH (Burger? Sheets?)
9. RF (Tilson? Basabe? Rutherford? FA?)

That's got the potential to score a LOT of runs. The only question becomes if Eloy or Vaughn turn out to be serious MVP candidates and then everyone bumps up one and/or they flip and Madrigal drops to 9.

Edit: And as someone who's been following the minors like never before this season, I have to say this makes me giggle...

That top six has the potential to be incredible. Anderson and Moncada already look like they'd fit right in on a championship lineup. The other 4 have the potential to be elite MLB players - yes, even considering Madrigal's lack of power. Yes, I realize none of these 4 have proven anything in the majors yet and that Vaughn hasn't even officially signed with the Sox and started his MiLB assignment yet. But Vaughn has the potential to be really, really good. We're not just talking about Zack Collins or Jake Burger potential here. No one should assume these guys are set in stone, but any Sox fan who can't get even a little excited about the prospect of what these 6 guys could do must be incurably cynical.

For the other 2 non-catching spots (2 OFs or 1 OF and DH), at least there's something like 5 decent OF prospects in the minors not named Robert (Rutherford, Basabe, Gonzalez, Walker, and even the oft-injured Adolfo). None of them look like sure things, but perhaps at least one of them can develop into a solid every day MLB player. Or maybe Bryce Bush (who has been playing OF for Kannapolis this year) could be one of those guys. ...and yeah, even Burger and Sheets could be in the mix somewhere in the lineup although both are far from a sure thing.

Collins is a big question mark. He's got some offensive skills: left-handed power, ability to draw walks. But, he seems to have been streaky in the minors and his defense is questionable. Catching is the one position I'm least confident that the Sox can fill from within.

Last edited by Hitmen77; 06-10-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:56 PM
WSI High Priest

It'd be very disappointing if we get only Eloy and Robert as MLB starter caliber players in the outfield. We seemed loaded at that position until just a few months ago. I continue to hold out hope that SOMEBODY will break through among the others.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-10-2019, 01:05 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
It'd be very disappointing if we get only Eloy and Robert as MLB starter caliber players in the outfield. We seemed loaded at that position until just a few months ago. I continue to hold out hope that SOMEBODY will break through among the others.
Not sure if he's the guy but Rutherford has come on strong after a terrible start.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:29 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
It would be disappointing, but finding a good MLB caliber corner OFer is pretty easy to get these days.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:45 PM
WSI Prelate

They can get by with a below average player in the OF.
Now what about the starting pitching?

I'd like to see them use Abreu and Colome to address that. May have to bring a 3rd team in as contenders usually don't want to trade pitching and/or are light on the upper level pitching prospects.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think it's much more likely that one of Anderson or Moncada is having an outlier and will regress after this year than it is that all 3 of Madrigal, Vaughn, and Collins turn into productive ML players
Old 06-10-2019, 03:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Not sure if he's the guy but Rutherford has come on strong after a terrible start.
Rutherford is a bit younger than the rest of the OF prospects at AA. So, that terrible start may have been him needing time to get adjusted to the higher level of competition. Hopefully his recent hot streak is a sign that he is indeed making successful adjustments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
They can get by with a below average player in the OF.
Now what about the starting pitching?

I'd like to see them use Abreu and Colome to address that. May have to bring a 3rd team in as contenders usually don't want to trade pitching and/or are light on the upper level pitching prospects.
Agreed. While nice, we don't need 3 all-stars in the OF. I can't point to any one of the "other" OF prospects and say they're sure to make it as an MLB starter, but I like the odds of at least one out of those 5 or 6 guys making it.

And yes, pitching has lots of question marks after Giolito, Kopech, and Cease. Plus Kopech and Cease, while very promising, still need to prove themselves in the majors. Trades may be needed to address pitching depth.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Don't put it past the Sox to sign Rendon after this year to a 6 year $180 deal. That would mean Moncada would slide to LF and Eloy to DH. We sign Abreu to a 3 year contract. He plays 1B and Eloy DH until Vaughn comes up, then Eloy moves to RF, having an OF of Moncada, Robert, Eloy in 2021.

1. Robert - CF
2. Moncada - LF/DH
3. Rendon - 3B
4. Eloy - DH/LF/RF
5. Vaughn - 1B
6. Abreu - 1B (2020)/ DH 2021
7. Anderson - SS
8. C
9. Madrigal - 2B

That is 8 quality major league hitting potential. Madrigal/Vaughn strike out very little, which could also mean they end up batting 1/2.

Robert/Moncada/Anderson/Madrigal can each steal 40+ bases if given the chance.

Rendon/Eloy/Vaughn/Abreu/Moncada have potential to hit 30-40 HR's with everyone else but Madrigal at a minimum of 20.

Imagine all the fastballs that Moncada would get with Rendon betting behind him. Imagine all the base runners Eloy would have with that top 3. Imagine, Imagine, Imagine.

A 6 year contract shouldn't strap the White Sox because most of their talent will be just going through arbitration for those 6 years. Once Rendon's contract is off the books, we will have that cash freed up to sign Robert/Moncada/Kopech.

If we do sign Rendon, then the obvious answer is we have to sign a SP to a big 3-4 year contract as well.

With this lineup you'd have so much flexibility of moving Moncada to 2b/3b if needed for a short time and especially in a NL park to play matchups when you lose your DH.

It's fun to think about the possibilities with our hitting!
Old 06-10-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
Don't put it past the Sox to sign Rendon after this year to a 6 year $180 deal. That would mean Moncada would slide to LF and Eloy to DH. We sign Abreu to a 3 year contract. He plays 1B and Eloy DH until Vaughn comes up, then Eloy moves to RF, having an OF of Moncada, Robert, Eloy in 2021.

1. Robert - CF
2. Moncada - LF/DH
3. Rendon - 3B
4. Eloy - DH/LF/RF
5. Vaughn - 1B
6. Abreu - 1B (2020)/ DH 2021
7. Anderson - SS
8. C
9. Madrigal - 2B

That is 8 quality major league hitting potential. Madrigal/Vaughn strike out very little, which could also mean they end up batting 1/2.

Robert/Moncada/Anderson/Madrigal can each steal 40+ bases if given the chance.

Rendon/Eloy/Vaughn/Abreu/Moncada have potential to hit 30-40 HR's with everyone else but Madrigal at a minimum of 20.

Imagine all the fastballs that Moncada would get with Rendon betting behind him. Imagine all the base runners Eloy would have with that top 3. Imagine, Imagine, Imagine.

A 6 year contract shouldn't strap the White Sox because most of their talent will be just going through arbitration for those 6 years. Once Rendon's contract is off the books, we will have that cash freed up to sign Robert/Moncada/Kopech.

If we do sign Rendon, then the obvious answer is we have to sign a SP to a big 3-4 year contract as well.

With this lineup you'd have so much flexibility of moving Moncada to 2b/3b if needed for a short time and especially in a NL park to play matchups when you lose your DH.

It's fun to think about the possibilities with our hitting!
Interesting idea, but why not just go after Puig and stick him in RF and not mess with the rest? I'm as concerned about forcing Moncada into the OF as anything else and Eloy doesn't have the arm for RF.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

A lot of lineups are setup to score a ton of runs. The question is what this team intends to do to keep runs against down.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004