GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 11:35 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Default Eloy

Just a gut feeling... He's about to bust out big time in the next couple weeks.

Also curious about what people think about his play in LF. I know it was a big area of concern prior to his injury. For me he seems to be fine out there. Making the plays expected. His arm may never be great but if he can consistently learn to make the right throw it will be less of an issue. He also might become more accurate with practice. He's certainly got the athleticism down.

Finally - let's not allow this to turn into a shouting match please. I'm honestly looking for some feedback - especially from those who were most concerned earlier in the year what they think.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-02-2019, 11:43 AM
WSI Regular

His jumping catch looked awfully similar to the one that injured him so my heart dropped when he went in the air but thankfully he was still 20 feet from the fence.

I agree with your gut feeling. He hasnít been driving the ball for a ton of xbh, but he has been hitting the ball very hard. He also learned pretty quickly to lay off the low sliders (which is something Abreu keeps bouncing between remembering and forgetting how to do). Yesterday, when Eloy popped out to short with runners in second and third, he threw the bat down in frustration because he was clearly seeing the ball well and just underestimated how much the pitch was hung. Although he didnít get the runs in it was nice to see the emotion.

Having him in LF isnít a necessity (at least not yet) but provides a lot of affordances with more flexibility at 1B and DH. Iím in the camp of have him learn out thereótime in the field in Charlotte after his injury seemed to do him well and I consider days that he learns in the outfield to be good for the rebuild.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:52 AM
WSI High Priest

I would much prefer to find three better defensive outfielders who can hit enough to be major league regulars and limit Eloyís LF appearances to interleague play, days off for regulars, and filling in for injuries. That will take a few years, and it may not happen at all. In the meantime, stick him in LF and hold on for the ride.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I would much prefer to find three better defensive outfielders who can hit enough to be major league regulars and limit Eloyís LF appearances to interleague play, days off for regulars, and filling in for injuries. That will take a few years, and it may not happen at all. In the meantime, stick him in LF and hold on for the ride.
Do you think he's doing better out there than when he started? Does he still give you a lot of reason for concern?
Old 06-02-2019, 12:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Do you think he's doing better out there than when he started? Does he still give you a lot of reason for concern?
I havenít seen him in-person since his return. I see sliding catches on TV, but I donít see the routes being taken to get to the ball. Outfielders misplay themselves into great plays sometimes. I really canít say until I see it happen in front of me.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

He's looked much better since returning from the injury. It makes me wonder what happened / what was said to him when he was hurt and on rehab. Having said that, he just looks very un-athletic in the outfield. Watching him reminds me of the adage - "wait until the ball stops rolling and then pick it up." I think I must have heard that from either Hawk or Drysdale on some Sox broadcast many years ago.

He's such a big guy (6'4" I read), maybe he'll get better control in a couple of years, maybe not. It is difficult to understand how he was considered a 5-tool player, at least according to his wikipedia page.

My biggest concern would be, given that your 2 best players are on the same side of the infield, that one of the 3 is going to be seriously hurt at some point, similar to what happened with Raines and Guillen.

Regarding his offense, his swing looks long to me, but what the heck do I know?! Again, he has some long moving parts. It would be nice for a Sox' prospect to come up and make an immediate impact, like the Chavis kid in Boston. However, we all know first hand that that can be fool's gold too.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBSoxFan View Post
My biggest concern would be, given that your 2 best players are on the same side of the infield, that one of the 3 is going to be seriously hurt at some point, similar to what happened with Raines and Guillen.

Yep...
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-02-2019, 02:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

I still see bad routes being taken to balls, it's only a matter of time until he runs into the wall again imo
Old 06-02-2019, 03:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

He looks much more relaxed out there . his movements in the field were awkward, but he seems more fluid now . hoping that he can become a serviceable left fielder.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
He looks much more relaxed out there . his movements in the field were awkward, but he seems more fluid now . hoping that he can become a serviceable left fielder.

What Eloy are you watching? Watching today from left field, I saw a guy that jumped forward 5 seconds after a normal outfielder would move forward, allowing a routine fly ball to be a basehit.

He hasn't gotten better. And he doesn't look relaxed. He looks perplexed and bad. Very very bad.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:43 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBSoxFan View Post
Watching him reminds me of the adage - "wait until the ball stops rolling and then pick it up." I think I must have heard that from either Hawk or Drysdale on some Sox broadcast many years ago.
That was Bob Ueker's answer when he was asked how he catches knuckleballs.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 06-03-2019, 07:03 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
What Eloy are you watching? Watching today from left field, I saw a guy that jumped forward 5 seconds after a normal outfielder would move forward, allowing a routine fly ball to be a basehit.

He hasn't gotten better. And he doesn't look relaxed. He looks perplexed and bad. Very very bad.
He still looks bad, but recent games have looked better to me.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 06-03-2019, 08:16 AM
WSI High Priest

He looks like a poor defender rather than an immediate threat to the safety of himself and others. This is progress.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-03-2019, 08:43 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
He looks like a poor defender rather than an immediate threat to the safety of himself and others. This is progress.
This is correct. Letís also not lose sight of the fact that heís all of 22 years old. The fact that heís got advanced hitting skills does not mean his fielding is as advanced, and itís clearly not. However, with practice and repetition he can become a serviceable defender.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
This is correct. Letís also not lose sight of the fact that heís all of 22 years old. The fact that heís got advanced hitting skills does not mean his fielding is as advanced, and itís clearly not. However, with practice and repetition he can become a serviceable defender.
He's also becoming more aware of other defenders and more aggressive about patrolling his area while still managing to play within himself as near as I can tell from watching. It's going to be a learning and familiarization process with the infielders and Leury, but you can see signs it's coming. Part of the issue is both Anderson and Moncada are such aggressive players about making plays that they often outrun their own territory. Yoan is still learning he has to defer to the other defenders which was not the case when he was playing 2B nearly as often.

For me the jump from where Eloy was to start the season to where he is now seems dramatic. I thought at the time he was just trying too hard and the game was moving too fast for him. It seems to have slowed down now. It's one reason I expect his offense to take off soon.
Closed Thread