Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2019, 09:57 AM
WSI Regular

Post What the ever living *#*<, Tribune?!?

So, the White Sox, a professional baseball team based in Chicago, had a game last night. The Chicago Tribune, a newspaper based in Chicago, published a paper this morning. I would expect to read about the professional baseball club's game in the following morning's paper. Instead, the ONLY White Sox story in today's Tribune is about the game TWO DAYS AGO, in which they were badly beaten by a possible future Hall of Fame pitcher.

Some great things happened in last night's game. A local kid hits a grand slam. Our top prospect hit two home runs. Our veteran pitcher has a solid outing. We beat the best team in the league. The only mention of these happenings is in the "Around the League" section, BEHIND THE OAKLAND FRIGGIN' A'S.

We all know media bias is alive and well. At least have the decency to PRETEND to have some journalistic integrity as a sports writer/editor.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

After the last two days I am done with that paper.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-23-2019, 10:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

What's a newspaper?

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-23-2019, 10:10 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Website has an article covering it. Not sure why it didn't make the print edition.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-23-2019, 10:11 AM
WSI High Priest

The reality is that the Sox aren't particularly relevant at the moment and if the Tribune is going to cut down the number of pages it prints, it makes complete sense to cut out the Sox.

If they have more games like the one they had last night (perhaps even a somber streak of them) this will change.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 05-23-2019, 10:11 AM
WSI Prelate

I would be more upset if this was CSN or ESPN or someone with some clout. The Trib is virtually worthless these days. Why get news 18 hours later when you know in 18 seconds thanks to twitter and usually have a full story within 18 minutes and the internet.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

At this point most of the sports section (heck, most of the paper) has been outsourced to the national Tribune Publishing. Read the Baltimore Sun and you probably get the same sports section with an article about the Orioles subbed in for the article about the Cubs. I don't even consider it bias anymore. The beancounters have decided that only the Cubs and Bears are worth regular coverage.

It's a shame what has happened to the Chicago Tribune. After reading it daily for decades I can't quite quit it, but it's really not worth anyone's time or money.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
At this point most of the sports section (heck, most of the paper) has been outsourced to the national Tribune Publishing. Read the Baltimore Sun and you probably get the same sports section with an article about the Orioles subbed in for the article about the Cubs. I don't even consider it bias anymore. The beancounters have decided that only the Cubs and Bears are worth regular coverage.

It's a shame what has happened to the Chicago Tribune. After reading it daily for decades I can't quite quit it, but it's really not worth anyone's time or money.
I subscribe online just for the local sports coverage.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post

Right. The number of newspapers making original content that matters anymore is small. There are none in Chicago.

Overall, in 2019, a non-story.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-23-2019, 10:52 AM
WSI Guru

I can tell you all right now what's going on. Their deadlines now are an hour earlier than they used to be. The result is EVERY local team not having game stories get in on a regular basis. This isn't limited to the Sox.
That said, the Scoreboard page I used to work on for them also has become a shell of its former self. In fact, just about all of its agate has been stripped to the bare minimum. The AHL and local minor and independent league baseball teams have been ditched in favor of more golf and tennis stats. I could go on, but I think I've made my point. If you want a paper that includes everything even remotely relevant in local sports, read the Sun-Times.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:26 AM

Or just stop getting paper delivery and rely on electronic media to read your local newspaper. That article was on the site when I logged in this morning. You can get a tablet and get the app or read on a computer through a web browser.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:35 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Right. The number of newspapers making original content that matters anymore is small. There are none in Chicago.

Overall, in 2019, a non-story.
The Tribune and other papers will still do some interesting local investigative pieces, but yea, a newspaper is not the place for sports coverage anymore.

Go Sox!!!
Old 05-23-2019, 11:41 AM
WSI High Priest

The old geezer in me still loves reading the newspaper every AM with my breakfast. When Chicago had 4 newspapers I would buy all 4 papers everyday Our local papers sports section is from the Tampa Tribune. They do a good job with previous nights scores and boxscores in all the sports but only in the Eastern Time zone but they did have a short column this AM about the triple play pulled off by the Sox since it was early in the game. Was the triple play mentioned in the Trib at all? If I still lived up there I would be livid with the Trib and would be making calls and writing letters to the Editorial staffs. To simply disregard a major league team in the third largest market in the country is beyond the pale. Any Sox fan who spends money on what has turned out to be a rag of a newspaper needs to discontinue their subscription.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-23-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
The old geezer in me still loves reading the newspaper every AM with my breakfast. When Chicago had 4 newspapers I would buy all 4 papers everyday Our local papers sports section is from the Tampa Tribune. They do a good job with previous nights scores and score boxes in all the sports but only in the Eastern Time zone but they did have a short column this AM about the triple play pulled off by the Sox since it was early in the game. Was the triple play mentioned in the Trib at all? If I still lived up there I would be livid with the Trib and would be making calls and writing letters to the Editorial staffs. To simply disregard a major league team in the third largest market in the country is beyond the pale. Any Sox fan who spends money on what has turned out to be a rag of a newspaper needs to discontinue their subscription.
There are other sections in the Tribune besides the Sports section. The price of a subscription has escalated to the point that I've considered quitting, but a big part of me feels I have a civic duty to support print journalism as an industry in Chicago.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 5-2
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

282-243
Old 05-23-2019, 01:18 PM
WSI Regular

The scary part was that they did, in fact have a White Sox article. They just chose to go back 24 hours and run a negative one.