White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 12:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Yoan Moncada watch

My intent is for us to use this thread to keep track of how Yoan is doing and developing, so it's in one place rather than spread across dozens of gameday threads.

After a torrid spring training and a hot start out of the gate, Yoan is 1-for-14 in his last 3 games with 5 strikeouts and no walks. His average is down to .316 and falling rapidly.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 04-09-2019, 01:07 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
My intent is for us to use this thread to keep track of how Yoan is doing and developing, so it's in one place rather than spread across dozens of gameday threads.

After a torrid spring training and a hot start out of the gate, Yoan is 1-for-14 in his last 3 games with 5 strikeouts and no walks. His average is down to .316 and falling rapidly.
Well it seemed unlikely that he was going to hit .500 all season, so the rough three game stretch including against two lefties (one of whom is the reigning Cy Young Award winer) was to be expected.

I will admit I'm very curious to see how he does this year. What I have seen so far has been very impressive. He's attacking pitches early in the count and not trying to do too much. Hopefully he can keep that up but he will of course hit a few bumps in the road too.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-09-2019, 01:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Not walking is probably a good thing for Moncada. His focus should be on hitting, making solid content. The walks should come from pitchers coming close to the strike zone. And early on, his walks were just that.

His focus since spring training seems to have been on cutting down on his strikeouts, which is where it should be. Certainly pitching to Moncada this year has offered a smaller margin for error than last year. His recent slump, if you want to call it that) may be that pitchers are adjusting to his focus on making contact, and, in fact, he struck out in his first trip today.

Strikeouts have been the bellweather of judging how well he's hitting. It's why the Red Sox gave up on him. If he goes back to not making consistent contact and being particularly vulnerable with two strikes (last year he faced two-strike counts in about half his plate appearances and struck out in about two-thirds of those), pitchers have probably figured him out again, and he'll probably have to go back to work.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:09 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Watching him circle the bases right now...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-09-2019, 02:14 PM
WSI Regular

Moncada has batted 2nd in 4 games this year.

He is 8-for-16 (.500) with 2 doubles, 2 home runs, and 2 Ks in those games.

In the 4 games he has hit 5th he is 3-for-14 (.214) with 1 double and 6 Ks.

Last year when he batted 5th or 6th he hit .148 in 107 plate appearances.

Its inexcusable to take THE MOST IMPORTANT GUY WHO NEEDS TO SHOW IMPROVEMENT during this wasted season, have him get off to a great start, and then start tinkering with his spot in the lineup. Having him hit before Abreu was working. Players are human beings. They have comfort levels.

He's hitting 2nd today and just hit another HR.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:16 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Not walking is probably a good thing for Moncada. His focus should be on hitting, making solid content. The walks should come from pitchers coming close to the strike zone. And early on, his walks were just that.

His focus since spring training seems to have been on cutting down on his strikeouts, which is where it should be. Certainly pitching to Moncada this year has offered a smaller margin for error than last year. His recent slump, if you want to call it that) may be that pitchers are adjusting to his focus on making contact, and, in fact, he struck out in his first trip today.

Strikeouts have been the bellweather of judging how well he's hitting. It's why the Red Sox gave up on him. If he goes back to not making consistent contact and being particularly vulnerable with two strikes (last year he faced two-strike counts in about half his plate appearances and struck out in about two-thirds of those), pitchers have probably figured him out again, and he'll probably have to go back to work.
I'd forgotten they played today. As I read your post, I clicked on ESPN's Game Cast in time to see that Moncada hit a 2-run homer in the 4th. Hopefully, that will get him back on track.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:17 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
Moncada has batted 2nd in 4 games this year.

He is 8-for-16 (.500) with 2 doubles, 2 home runs, and 2 Ks in those games.

In the 4 games he has hit 5th he is 3-for-14 (.214) with 1 double and 6 Ks.

Last year when he batted 5th or 6th he hit .148 in 107 plate appearances.

Its inexcusable to take THE MOST IMPORTANT GUY WHO NEEDS TO SHOW IMPROVEMENT during this wasted season, have him get off to a great start, and then start tinkering with his spot in the lineup. Having him hit before Abreu was working. Players are human beings. They have comfort levels.

He's hitting 2nd today and just hit another HR.

It has little to do with where he is batting in the lineup, as when he hits 2nd it's because there is a righty on the mound, when he hits 5-6th there is a lefty on the mound. He's a better lefty hitter, that's all. Actually been really impressed with his improvement from the right side this year. He has at least a few lineouts as well that could/should have been hits.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:32 PM
WSI High Priest

The Red Sox gave up Moncada because it was either going to be Moncada or Andrew Benintendi, and the Red Sox had Dustin Pedroia and Rafael Devers available to play the positions Moncada may have occupied.

They sure as hell did not give up on him based on his September 2016 strikeouts.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
The Red Sox gave up Moncada because it was either going to be Moncada or Andrew Benintendi, and the Red Sox had Dustin Pedroia and Rafael Devers available to play the positions Moncada may have occupied.

They sure as hell did not give up on him based on his September 2016 strikeouts.
Well, the reason the Red Sox gave up Moncada was because they wanted Chris Sale.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:36 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
It has little to do with where he is batting in the lineup, as when he hits 2nd it's because there is a righty on the mound, when he hits 5-6th there is a lefty on the mound. He's a better lefty hitter, that's all. Actually been really impressed with his improvement from the right side this year. He has at least a few lineouts as well that could/should have been hits.
I apologize on some of the stats- I forgot his 0-5 game against Seattle when Leake started.

I stand by my main point though. I don't care about the L/R split. He's supposed to be THE GUY. Put him somewhere, let him hit, and stop messing with him, especially when he is successful.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:36 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
That could be true/partly true, but settling into a routine of batting in the same spot could make him more comfortable as well. Can't know for sure but why mess around?
Old 04-09-2019, 03:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post

If you read what was said after he was traded, which is remarkable because you so seldom hear teams -- particularly the Red Sox -- say bad things about players or prospects that they trade, it was about how disappointed they were with him after his 2016 callup in which he struck out in has last nine plate appearances. There may have been more to it than the callup, but they had serious concerns about his ability to make contact, as many analysts did after his 2018 season.

If adjusting, positioning himself to get a better look at pictures from the batters box, being more aggressive early in the count etc. makes a difference, maybe he'll live up to his tools-based hype.

I certainly don't want to see the White Sox stick with the 2018 Moncada with the belief some analytics show he wasn't so bad.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:26 PM
WSI High Priest

I doubt the Red Sox actually gave up on the consensus #1 prospect in baseball because of 20 September plate appearances as a 21-year-old. More than likely, it was just posturing to justify the trade.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:58 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
Lottery numbers for tomorrow?
That was posted right after the homerun. Nothing psychic about it...
Old 04-09-2019, 04:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
That was posted right after the homerun. Nothing psychic about it...
LOL. I completely misread your post.
Closed Thread