GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 07:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Sox offseason thread Part 6

and now for something completely different...

"As players age, their fast twitch muscles get slower and offensive production drops significantly under the new system."

Barry Bonds
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 01-28-2019, 07:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Sox Offseason Thread Part 6

Hey, y’all! Long time no talk!

Am I crazy in thinking that 30mil a year could sign three pretty darn good players, thus pushing the rebuild even further into overdrive?

Or is Machado just so transcendent a talent that he will push marketing, ticket sales, and wins way past other big name signings like, say, Albert Belle?
Old 01-28-2019, 07:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Fun fact:

The Sox 2017/18 offseason thread, which was started in October and ran through February, generated 383 posts.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...t=2018&page=26

We are now on thread #6 for the 18/19 offseason and over 1500 posts. I'm glad interest has picked up!

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
2016 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Champ
2018 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Old 01-28-2019, 08:01 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurr View Post

Am I crazy in thinking that 30mil a year could sign three pretty darn good players, thus pushing the rebuild even further into overdrive?

Or is Machado just so transcendent a talent that he will push marketing, ticket sales, and wins way past other big name signings like, say, Albert Belle?
We've tried the pretty good route many times over the last decade. It hasn't worked out well. The Sox have several pretty good to great players expected coming out of the pipeline already. Time to add some top end talent to secure the heart of the order and push this team over the top.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-28-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
and now for something completely different...

"As players age, their fast twitch muscles get slower and offensive production drops significantly under the new system."

Barry Bonds
Not sure if you are trying to attribute that quote to Barry Bonds or using Bonds as an example of someone who defies the rule.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurr View Post

I think part of your question is answered in........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
Fun fact:

The Sox 2017/18 offseason thread, which was started in October and ran through February, generated 383 posts.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...t=2018&page=26

We are now on thread #6 for the 18/19 offseason and over 1500 posts. I'm glad interest has picked up!
This post by Marq ^^^.

I think part of the issue is finding the combined value that a 26 year old Manny will bring over five to 6 years than the three players you may sign for his contract price.

Likely, those other three players will not be as consistent or will begin to stagger off as time goes on. Manny, on the other hand, is a guaranteed 6 to 8 WAR player for the next six to eight years, barring injury. So, yes, you always sign a bat like his.

Plus, we do not need three players. Eloy is coming.

I dare you to dream of this lineup and not see why Manny is such a big addition:

Moncada
Jay
Abreu
Machado
Alonso
Jimenez
Castillo
Sanchez
Anderson

That 3,4,5,6 is a murderers row with big potential talent up top and at the bottom.

EDIT:

Substitute Palka for Yolmer. Too many infielders.
Still, point remains. That is a homer/ RBI loving line-up.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.

Last edited by guillensdisciple; 01-28-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Not sure if you are trying to attribute that quote to Barry Bonds or using Bonds as an example of someone who defies the rule.
The latter.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Gee I wonder why Barry Bonds might not have degraded as much over time as other players.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 01-28-2019, 08:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Regarding teams being more hesitant, that makes sense with 30+ players. Not 26 year olds on a HOF trajectory that may have their primes still ahead of them. Machado and Harper are both worth 40M+ AAV; if a depressed market means you can somehow get them for slightly less, you jump through any and all hoops to do it. You don't get super greedy trying to exploit that depressed market to save as much $$$ as possible, to the point that you may lose out on one/both of these players.

When do you think a couple future HOFers will hit the FA market again in the same year the Cubs, Bad Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers are out of the bidding? Miss on this opportunity and you likely never get another one.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Regarding teams being more hesitant, that makes sense with 30+ players. Not 26 year olds on a HOF trajectory that may have their primes still ahead of them. Machado and Harper are both worth 40M+ AAV; if a depressed market means you can somehow get them for less, you jump through any and all hoops to do it.

When do you think a couple future HOFers will hit the FA market the same year the Cubs, Bad Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers -- for different reasons -- are out of the bidding? Miss on this opportunity and you likely never get another one.
That's the thing. The reason why they are getting less now is because the older players are getting less. It is directly correlated.

I agree with your last point completely.

This year, next year, and 2021 will be monstrous free agency year.

There will be no greater year than 2021- with Mike Trout coming on.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
That's the thing. The reason why they are getting less now is because the older players are getting less. It is directly correlated.

I agree with your last point completely.

This year, next year, and 2021 will be monstrous free agency year.

There will be no greater year than 2021- with Mike Trout coming on.
It may be correlated but it should not be. The market should correct itself to prevent Pujols-esque deals from being handed out to guys like Pujols, but not everyone. Certain guys -- like Harper and Machado -- deserve those deals. It feels like people (and maybe GMs?) are drawing a 1:1 correlation between long big money deals and poor ROI w/o looking at the most important variables.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurr

The White Sox already tried that “$10 million each for three guys instead of $30 million for one guy” approach. It ended up getting them guys like Melky Cabrera and Adam LaRoche.

It’s better to get the big fish for $30 million and run two kids out there for $600K apiece.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:40 PM
WSI Personality

I just can't wait to see Madrigal for a whole professional season.

The Sox finally drafted someone first round that I really wanted them to draft.

Hopefully he's up in 2020.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
The latter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Gee I wonder why Barry Bonds might not have degraded as much over time as other players.
Yeah, pretty widely accepted Bonds was jacking PED into his body at a ridiculous rate. Seems like an odd example to use.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Or why his hat and shoe sizes increased - as an adult. The guy was beginning to mutate, for crying out loud...

"Gogh Gogh White Sox!"
Closed Thread