White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-18-2018, 05:45 PM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,425
Default TV Deal

https://670thescore.radio.com/source...sports-chicago


So all this means basically is the Cubs will no longer be covered by NBC Sports and nothing else will really change, correct?
__________________
TWTW
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-18-2018, 05:59 PM
I_Liked_Manuel I_Liked_Manuel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: downers ****ing grove
Posts: 1,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
https://670thescore.radio.com/source...sports-chicago


So all this means basically is the Cubs will no longer be covered by NBC Sports and nothing else will really change, correct?
Impossible to say until numbers are released. This might benefit the sox with an increased share in the network with the Cubs gone, or it might hurt the sox since the network lost a lot of viewers with the Cubs gone. Either way the Sox de facto got their own network for 6 months a year
__________________
Teacher Says, Every Time Brian Anderson Gets A Hit, An Angel Gets Its Wings.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-18-2018, 06:42 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 11,011
Default

I’m happy that the Blackhawks didn’t follow the Cubs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and let’s fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-18-2018, 06:53 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 57,420
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I’m happy that the Blackhawks didn’t follow the Cubs.
Hawks and Bulls have an excellent working relationship and have for years.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-18-2018, 06:57 PM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Liked_Manuel View Post
Impossible to say until numbers are released. This might benefit the sox with an increased share in the network with the Cubs gone, or it might hurt the sox since the network lost a lot of viewers with the Cubs gone. Either way the Sox de facto got their own network for 6 months a year
What numbers? Ratings? Admittedly I don't really understand what this all means.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-18-2018, 07:10 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 57,420
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Liked_Manuel View Post
Impossible to say until numbers are released. This might benefit the sox with an increased share in the network with the Cubs gone, or it might hurt the sox since the network lost a lot of viewers with the Cubs gone. Either way the Sox de facto got their own network for 6 months a year
I want to know what the Cubs are going to do for coverage the other 7950 hours year they aren't broadcasting Cubs baseball and that assumes 5 hours of coverage 162 games a year.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-18-2018, 07:15 PM
GoSox2K3 GoSox2K3 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,495
Default

I wonder if the Sox are going to NBC Sports Chicago exclusively or will they still have some games on WGN-TV. Same for the Cubs with their new network. Yes, it's great to have the Blackhawks as part of this deal. I hope a Cubs-only network will be a hard sell to Comcast, who is part owner of NBC Sports Chicago and which dominates the Chicago cable TV market.

Any details of how much more in local TV revenue the Sox would get under this new deal? It sounds like their ownership share of this network will go up from 20% to 25% with the departure of the Cubs.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-18-2018, 07:15 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 20,498
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I want to know what the Cubs are going to do for coverage the other 7950 hours year they aren't broadcasting Cubs baseball and that assumes 5 hours of coverage 162 games a year.
Repeat airings of “This Old Cub?”
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-18-2018, 07:32 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 34,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
I wonder if the Sox are going to NBC Sports Chicago exclusively or will they still have some games on WGN-TV. Same for the Cubs with their new network. Yes, it's great to have the Blackhawks as part of this deal. I hope a Cubs-only network will be a hard sell to Comcast, who is part owner of NBC Sports Chicago and which dominates the Chicago cable TV market.

Any details of how much more in local TV revenue the Sox would get under this new deal? It sounds like their ownership share of this network will go up from 20% to 25% with the departure of the Cubs.
Supposedly WGN is ending all sports programming after this season of the Bulls and Hawks.

Will be interested to see how much they get. Arizona, St. Louis and Seattle got deals worth billions but they were the only baseball game in town.*

Timing is also interesting and I wonder if it was discussed during the Machado negotiations.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-18-2018, 08:46 PM
blandman blandman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
I wonder if the Sox are going to NBC Sports Chicago exclusively or will they still have some games on WGN-TV. Same for the Cubs with their new network. Yes, it's great to have the Blackhawks as part of this deal. I hope a Cubs-only network will be a hard sell to Comcast, who is part owner of NBC Sports Chicago and which dominates the Chicago cable TV market.

Any details of how much more in local TV revenue the Sox would get under this new deal? It sounds like their ownership share of this network will go up from 20% to 25% with the departure of the Cubs.

Both stations will fight over programming options. Deals with Big Ten, local college teams, foreign leagues, etc. Right now NBC Sports airs all that stuff. Now they'll have to compete for it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Supposedly WGN is ending all sports programming after this season of the Bulls and Hawks.

Will be interested to see how much they get. Arizona, St. Louis and Seattle got deals worth billions but they were the only baseball game in town.*

Timing is also interesting and I wonder if it was discussed during the Machado negotiations.

It's more about what they can do for non-TV broadcasts.


The last TV deal paid both the Sox and the Cubs $750,000 for every game aired. With internet mediums and the majority market move away from cable/satellite services, there's no reason to expect that number jumped very much.


How the rights the online medium is handled will be key for new income. As well as what to do with the rest of the games not broadcasted on cable. Currently they don't get much for them from local TV. But if the game were ONLY on an online medium, they might be able to do better.


Either way, it's really disappointing how this team constantly cries power despite raking it in. And even though they get a per game rate, they get all that money up front every year. How do they manage to pay the bills?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-18-2018, 09:31 PM
WSox597 WSox597 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern Illinois, Will County
Posts: 2,222
Default

I wonder if that Kaplan guy will be making the move to the Cubs channel?

I sure hope so.

I'll never have to see him again if he moves there.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-18-2018, 09:59 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 34,134
Default

A couple things.

Am hearing that this deal is ONLY for five years. IF that is true, that's very interesting. And I can't recall a shorter deal among any of the other teams that signed extensions.

If that was on the part of NBCSports Chicago, it could be they are waiting to see if the rebuild actually works and weren't willing to commit to a long term deal because of what could happen if the losing continues.

On the other hand if the Sox were pushing this, it could be because they want to be in a position of strength if the rebuild works say starting in 2020. The Sox win for a few years maybe grab a few playoff sports, then they can market themselves to whomever from a commanding position.

Again that's if what I heard was true. We'll see.

I'm working on a project for the Sox and came across this tonight from an April 1987 issue of Sports Illustrated, I found it ironic given that this new TV deal is supposedly happening:

"The state of the team was perhaps best summed up in the off-season when WFLD, the White Sox TV station, filed suit to get out of the final three years of its contract with the team, claiming, in part, that the Sox are "not desirable to watch."

I didn't even know WFLD-TV tried to get out of their deal!

Finally there's this for whatever it may be worth:

Charles the Cat™
@CharlsMeow

Early whispers are that #Cubs new network with Sinclair broadcasting would net them in excess of 200M annually. Still no confirmation of a deal in place however. #HotStove🔥

7:51 PM - Dec 18, 2018

That's absolutely unbelievable. If true the Cubs could go out and sign anybody they want at anytime. The only thing stopping them would be the Luxury Tax.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-18-2018, 10:03 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 34,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
But if the game were ONLY on an online medium, they might be able to do better.
I'm curious why you think this given that far, far fewer fans watch games exclusively on-line then through more established options.

Plus you have all the technical issues, Facebook was roasted I remember a few months ago for showing the Mets / Nationals game (I think those were the two teams) and it was one screw up after another. I remember reading about it at the Awful Announcing web site.

To me, I suspect streaming and simply trying to show games exclusively on-line is still a dicey proposition. I don't think the Sox as conservative an organization as they are, would agree to something like that.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-18-2018, 10:22 PM
blandman blandman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I'm curious why you think this given that far, far fewer fans watch games exclusively on-line then through more established options.

Plus you have all the technical issues, Facebook was roasted I remember a few months ago for showing the Mets / Nationals game (I think those were the two teams) and it was one screw up after another. I remember reading about it at the Awful Announcing web site.

To me, I suspect streaming and simply trying to show games exclusively on-line is still a dicey proposition. I don't think the Sox as conservative an organization as they are, would agree to something like that.

I meant from a pure cash position. For instance, what if the game were available in market through Amazon only to prime customers. Or to Netflix subscribers. It's interesting to think about. And it's a far cry from Facebook's capabilities. And again, online watching would only be in market. Out of market has to go through MLB's online streaming service.


I'd also argue that the audience numbers we're talking about are far different then they used to be. How many people actually have cable? Versus a service like Amazon Prime? It's a handful of games, true. But the reach of something like that is far beyond a cable network. Is it better than taking a pittance to put games on WCIU? That's the question. And the reach of WCIU versus internet is also debatable.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-18-2018, 11:38 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 16,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
A couple things.

Am hearing that this deal is ONLY for five years. IF that is true, that's very interesting. And I can't recall a shorter deal among any of the other teams that signed extensions.

If that was on the part of NBCSports Chicago, it could be they are waiting to see if the rebuild actually works and weren't willing to commit to a long term deal because of what could happen if the losing continues.

On the other hand if the Sox were pushing this, it could be because they want to be in a position of strength if the rebuild works say starting in 2020. The Sox win for a few years maybe grab a few playoff sports, then they can market themselves to whomever from a commanding position.

Again that's if what I heard was true. We'll see.

I'm working on a project for the Sox and came across this tonight from an April 1987 issue of Sports Illustrated, I found it ironic given that this new TV deal is supposedly happening:

"The state of the team was perhaps best summed up in the off-season when WFLD, the White Sox TV station, filed suit to get out of the final three years of its contract with the team, claiming, in part, that the Sox are "not desirable to watch."

I didn't even know WFLD-TV tried to get out of their deal!

Finally there's this for whatever it may be worth:

Charles the Cat™
@CharlsMeow

Early whispers are that #Cubs new network with Sinclair broadcasting would net them in excess of 200M annually. Still no confirmation of a deal in place however. #HotStove🔥

7:51 PM - Dec 18, 2018

That's absolutely unbelievable. If true the Cubs could go out and sign anybody they want at anytime. The only thing stopping them would be the Luxury Tax.
If the Cubs sign a deal with Sinclair, they’ll regret it for a number of reasons. Ignoring the political side of things with Sinclair, they are notorious for low quality production and refusing to spend much for on-air talent. Also, Sinclair’s cable stations are not often included in regular cable packages, so at a time when people are cutting the cord the Cubs will be asking cable providers to charge their customers more for this channel. Yea, they’ll get a lot of money but I wonder if the Dodgers are happy with their deal.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.