Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2018, 02:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Sox trade Narvaez to Seattle for Alex Colome

Don't get this. We're not contending, why do we need a closer?
Old 11-30-2018, 02:10 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Colome's trade value should increase closer to the trade deadline. I think its a good allocation of cash and spare parts. This could end up as a good win for the Sox.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpgr91 View Post
Colome's trade value should increase closer to the trade deadline. I think its a good allocation of cash and spare parts. This could end up as a good win for the Sox.
Good point. Sad to see Narvaez go.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Surprising. With K. Smith gone, does that mean Zavala is the back-up to Castillo? Isn't Colome a member of the Coco Crisp/Pedro Strop Crooked Hat Club? Ugh.

Seattle has now traded both Colome and Diaz on the same day.

277-241.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:20 PM
WSI Guru

I welcome this move. I don't care if we're not contending this year. I couldn't take one more season of no real closer and one blown save after another. Experienced WAY too many of those in person in 2018. Just glad the tables turned in my final game against Cleveland.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:37 PM
WSI Personality

Not sure how I feel about this deal. Really liked the platoon of Narvaez/Castillo. Wonder who is the other catcher for '19.

Colome has 2 years of control left. Sounds like they aren't crazy about shelling out $12-15 mil a year times 3-4 for relievers/closers on the market in free agency.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:40 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Because when we sign Harper, then call up Eloy, our timeline will accelerate quickly. Need to have some relievers in place. It's how baseball is played these days. Without a solid pen you've got no chance.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:54 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

I like Colome so no complaints about this move. Proven arm that can be dealt in July if the team is out of it again. We still have Castillo for this season to catch and while Narvaez was solid at the plate he was pretty poor defensively. Does this make Zavala is the backup this season? I wonder how far off Collins is from the big leagues.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:57 PM
WSI High Priest

I like the move. Primarily because I think Hahn is "selling high" with Narvaez who's defense really limits his potential to be part of this team when we're contending, and I believe in reasonable investments in the bullpen even if you're not in full "going for it" mode.

Our offense should be improved in 2019 based on Eloy joining the batting order and my assumption that Moncada will improve with experience, Anderson as well- i don't want another horrible bullpen blowing leads all season.

November moves are always tough to completely understand because you can't see the full context of the other moves that will be made over the course of the winter.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 11-30-2018, 03:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Interesting “under the radar” move.

This could signal that the Sox are trying to sell high on Narvaez’s bat, acknowledging that - in their opinion, at least - his defense isn’t likely to improve.

Absent another trade or signing, this clears space for Zavala to back up Castillo, and Collins to start in Charlotte. I think Charlotte could be good for Collins, as some deep flyouts and doubles in Birmingham become homers in Charlotte.

If they surprisingly flirt with contention this year, Colome strengthens the bullpen; if they again (as I expect) tend toward 90 losses, Colome - or preferably, a Colome/resurgent Abreu package - fetches a solid pitching prospect in return.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

A platoon catcher for a proven closer is a deal you make every time if the money is not a hindrance. Considering Colome is not a FA until 2021 I can't see any issue with this deal.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 11-30-2018, 03:14 PM
WSI Personality

Numbers are good outside of the first half of last year - gotta think Mariner fans would have wanted more than Navarez.

Edit - guess not reading Mariner's boards.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Surprising. With K. Smith gone, does that mean Zavala is the back-up to Castillo? Isn't Colome a member of the Coco Crisp/Pedro Strop Crooked Hat Club? Ugh.

Seattle has now traded both Colome and Diaz on the same day.
Only way I can watch that is if he retires every batter he faces on 3 pitches that they never come close to touching.

So I think they need to get that **** fixed....
Old 11-30-2018, 03:31 PM
WSI High Priest

There were reports that the mariners were going to blow it up and that looks true. This looks like a good trade, from how bad our bullpen was on the right side. I guess this means Seby might get here soon.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:50 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Interesting “under the radar” move.

This could signal that the Sox are trying to sell high on Narvaez’s bat, acknowledging that - in their opinion, at least - his defense isn’t likely to improve.

Absent another trade or signing, this clears space for Zavala to back up Castillo, and Collins to start in Charlotte. I think Charlotte could be good for Collins, as some deep flyouts and doubles in Birmingham become homers in Charlotte.

If they surprisingly flirt with contention this year, Colome strengthens the bullpen; if they again (as I expect) tend toward 90 losses, Colome - or preferably, a Colome/resurgent Abreu package - fetches a solid pitching prospect in return.
This.

I like the sell high on Omar.
I like seeing what Zavala can do as a backup to Castillo.
I like going all in with Collins as CA at Charlotte
I like the potential for a deadline flip of Colome if we totally suck again.

I REALLY like that the hot stove league is heating up! The gossip and rumors have been barren for us the last month or so. Get to work Rick Hahn!!