GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2018, 05:41 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Default Rick Renteria Contract Extended

Per James Fegan of the Athletic

"Hello from Carlsbad. Rick Hahn didnít provide details on length, but said that Rick Renteria signed a contract extension some time ago and that 2019 is not his last season under contract"

https://twitter.com/JRFegan/status/1059936954748329985
Old 11-06-2018, 05:45 PM
WSI Prelate

9 seasons as coach or manager with 1 winning season. Fits right in.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:35 PM
WSI Guru

Coach or manager on awful rebuilding Sox, Cubs, and Padres teams. Casey Stengel wouldnít have had several .500+ seasons with the same teams. Letís see what he can do with some actual talent and when theyíre not trying to win a draft pick.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Ugh.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:12 PM
WSI Guru

Without knowing the length it's hard to tell if the Sox would be willing to fire him if things go south (as expected) in 2019 or 2020 (when they damn well better start turning around).

But of course they weren't willing to fire Ozzie when he was begging for it until the very end of the 2011 season and they weren't willing to fire Ventura.

Loyalty..."it just means more" to the White Sox

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 11-07-2018 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:30 PM
WSI High Priest

It just makes no sense to extend Renteria at this point. It's such a White Sox move to make. 2019 is going to be a critical year for the rebuild. Renteria has been "ok" so far but what could it have hurt to wait and see if the team took the necessary step forward next season? I just don't get it.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 11-06-2018, 11:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
It just makes no sense to extend Renteria at this point. It's such a White Sox move to make. 2019 is going to be a critical year for the rebuild. Renteria has been "ok" so far but what could it have hurt to wait and see if the team took the necessary step forward next season? I just don't get it.
Only way it makes sense is if management reads boards like this one.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:03 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Why? What has he done to warrant an extension?

Go Sox!!!
Old 11-07-2018, 09:25 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post

Yep. What's the hurry? It's not like there's a bunch of teams that would be desperate to sign Renteria...don't get it.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Rick has shown absolutely nothing that warrants an extension. It isn't like the young kids are developing at some kind of super rate under him.

I have days where I just hope my Son doesn't grow up to be a Sox fan. Right now he likes the Cardinals because that was his little league team. I hope he stays that way, its hard to love a team that wants to be mediocre.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:12 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Rick has shown absolutely nothing that warrants an extension. It isn't like the young kids are developing at some kind of super rate under him.

I have days where I just hope my Son doesn't grow up to be a Sox fan. Right now he likes the Cardinals because that was his little league team. I hope he stays that way, its hard to love a team that wants to be mediocre.
I don't think the Sox WANT to be mediocre, I think they want to be good but they want to be good on their terms and aren't willing to do everything it takes to be good. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll surprise me this off-season though.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I don't think the Sox WANT to be mediocre, I think they want to be good but they want to be good on their terms and aren't willing to do everything it takes to be good. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll surprise me this off-season though.
I don't think winning is a priority. They are willfully mediocre. Kenny Williams still has a job. All he has proven was 2005 was lightning in a bottle luck. Everyone was good at the same time once.

I have a ton of faith in Hahn, but I don't know if its just I like his process, because right now he is showing he can accumulate a ton of talent, win trades, but either the players he is getting were not what they were once thought, or his development system is terrible.

Renteria has proven he can be a yes man and get a bunch of AAAA players to try and play hard. He is also proving he can turn a top prospect into an AAAA player quickly.

I am 33 years old, in my lifetime, the Sox have never made the playoffs 2 years in a row. My son is 7 and never witnessed the playoffs.

This is being willfully mediocre.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:55 AM
WSI Personality

Heís exactly the kind of manager most people around here say they want. Not an embarrassment like Ozzie sometimes was, not as mellow as Robin, he demands that players not dog it. Heís had essentially nothing to work with in any of his managerial stints. I like the guy and hope heís around for a while and that we get good while heís here just so you guys can all eat crow.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
Heís exactly the kind of manager most people around here say they want. Not an embarrassment like Ozzie sometimes was, not as mellow as Robin, he demands that players not dog it. Heís had essentially nothing to work with in any of his managerial stints. I like the guy and hope heís around for a while and that we get good while heís here just so you guys can all eat crow.
I would love too, but right now we need a manager who can develop ****ing players, and no one is developing under him.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't know what the obsession is with signing bad coaches to secret extensions. This has happened twice now.

Own your decisions. If you're uncomfortable with the backlash, then don't ****ing sign the extension.