Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2018, 03:50 PM
New At WSI

Default Re: Matt Davidson's new position?

Matt Davidson to work more on pitching.

Have there been any other position players in White Sox history to be converted to pitchers? ( not just as a fill-in )
I seem to recall there might have been someone who played in the Sixties or Seventies.
Am I remembering right?
Old 10-21-2018, 04:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Icon11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox-o-phile View Post

Have there been any other position players in White Sox history to be converted to pitchers? ( not just as a fill-in )
I seem to recall there might have been someone who played in the Sixties or Seventies.
Am I remembering right?
Can't think of anyone but LHP Gary Peters was such a good hitter, he would pinch-hit quite often in his time with the Sox. A number of times when pitching he was moved up in the lineup to the 7th spot in the order instead of the usual 9th spot reserved for the pitcher.
Early Wynn was also a good hitter for a pitcher and would also pinch hit once in awhile.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 10-21-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

I remember having a discussion with someone that Davidson had more life on his heater and better control of his curve than Giolito. Obviously that was after Davidson's first relief appearance when Gio was at a low point, but the fact is he actually looked like a ML caliber reliever. If he recall he struck out Stanton on a pretty nasty pitch.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:46 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:

Am I remembering right?
Sergio Santos. Didn't play for the Sox as a position player, but the Sox found him on the scrap heap, converted him into a closer, and traded him to the Jays before the shine wore off.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:47 PM
WSI Prelate

There is also the fact that teams donít have a scouting report on a 3b coming in to pitch to be considered when looking back at whatever success he had.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
There is also the fact that teams don’t have a scouting report on a 3b coming in to pitch to be considered when looking back at whatever success he had.
Yea that might have something to do with it (to say the least). Plus, players don't really want to show up position player pitchers; at that point, the towel has been thrown, the white flag raised.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Danny Murphy was a bonus baby who played outfield for the Cubs in 1960 and 1962. He later was a relief pitcher for the White Sox in 1969-70.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:09 PM
WSI Regular

Default Matty D

Matty D can pitch. He might be adding a few years to his career as a hybrid hitter pitcher.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
Danny Murphy was a bonus baby who played outfield for the Cubs in 1960 and 1962. He later was a relief pitcher for the White Sox in 1969-70.
I remember Murphy as he was going to be the guts of the 3rd Cub rebuild of that era, they finally got it right in the late 60s but still had nothing to show for it except the 69 team will always be known as team that blew an 8 game lead to the Amazing Mets.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:50 PM
New At WSI

How could I forget Bobby Thigpen?

He played in the same outfield as Jack Clark for Mississippi State University.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Will Clark not Jack Clark. Rafael Palmeiro and Jeff Brantly were also on that MSU team.

277-241.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:57 PM
WSI Personality

Bart Johnson White Sox pitching phenom went on to play Centerfield after a knee injury.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

He was All-America as the DH. In his last college game, he homered to give Mississippi State the lead and pitching in relief gave up a home run to lose the game. The White Sox drafted him as a pitcher. He took batting practice in his first year in the White Sox organization, but he wasn't on the batting practice list his next.

In his amateur summer season in the wooden-bat Alaska Baseball League, he hit well, .315 I think. He played first base for the Kenai Oilers and didn't pitch an inning.

A lot of pitchers who never got a serious chance to hit might have been scouted as position players by major league teams if they hadn't impressed as pitchers. LaMarr Hoyt was scouted by five teams at five positions. When he learned he was drafted by the Yankees, he knew his future was as a pitcher.

Then there was Bart Johnson, who had a rough time on the mound in 1972 after looking pretty good in relief in 1971 (14 saves as a closer after struggling as a starter). He was sent down as an everyday outfielder, pitching only in a few games. He hit well for the Class A Appleton Foxes, but struggled a bit at AA Knoxville and never had another plate appearance in the White Sox organization, where he played through 1979. Of course, the American League adopted the DH in 1973.

Johnson never played any position other than pitcher for the White Sox. He played in the Mexican League for a couple of years after the White Sox let him go, but I don't know if he hit there.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:33 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Bart Johnson White Sox pitching phenom went on to play Centerfield after a knee injury.
Briefly in left field as I remember before he went back to exclusively pitching.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:43 AM
WSI High Priest

I don't mind this for 2019- if Davidson can basically be the "13th pitcher" I'm all for it- let's us go with 12 real pitchers on the roster.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada