Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2018, 11:07 AM
New At WSI

Default Longest White Sox career

Happened to look at Britt Burns career stats and saw that his whole career was with the White Sox.
How many other players spent their whole career with just the White Sox?
Who has logged the most games as a White Sox exclusive player?
Old 10-16-2018, 11:24 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox-o-phile View Post
Happened to look at Britt Burns career stats and saw that his whole career was with the White Sox.
Didn't Burns play for the Yankees?

Luke Appling may hold the record in the regard you are talking about.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Didn't Burns play for the Yankees?

Luke Appling may hold the record in the regard you are talking about.
Burns was traded to the Yankees, but his degenerative hip condition forced him to retire before he ever played for them.

Luke Appling played 2,422 games with the White Sox, I am sure that is by far and away the most. Ted Lyons logged the most seasons with the team with 22.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:10 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
Burns was traded to the Yankees, but his degenerative hip condition forced him to retire before he ever played for them.

Luke Appling played 2,422 games with the White Sox, I am sure that is by far and away the most. Ted Lyons logged the most seasons with the team with 22.
You are correct. Konerko comes in second (no great shock) Nellie Fox at 3rd and Frank comes in 4th.

Of course pitches get hurt because they only play every 4th or 5th day.

Here's a link to the top 50 Sox players according to Baseball Reference. You can see various stats including number of games played.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...s_bat_50.shtml

Edit: and here's the pitchers:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...pitch_50.shtml

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-16-2018, 12:55 PM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
You are correct. Konerko comes in second (no great shock) Nellie Fox at 3rd and Frank comes in 4th.

Of course pitches get hurt because they only play every 4th or 5th day.

Here's a link to the top 50 Sox players according to Baseball Reference. You can see various stats including number of games played.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...s_bat_50.shtml

Edit: and here's the pitchers:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...pitch_50.shtml
If you go by White Sox exclusive career years and games aren't Konerko, who played for the Reds and Dodgers and Thomas, who played for the A' s and Blue Jays, disqualified?
Old 10-16-2018, 12:59 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
If you go by White Sox exclusive career years and games aren't Konerko, who played for the Reds and Dodgers and Thomas, who played for the A' s and Blue Jays, disqualified?
Complete edit: No the games listed are exclusive to the Sox. Yes they played for other teams also, but the games listed in that list are exclusively games they played for the Sox. Frank and Konerko both played over 2300 games total in their careers.

And yes they don't fit the description at the top of the link. Neither does Nellie apparently who appeared for the A's (still in Philly) for 3 years before he went to the Sox.

Very few players in that list will fit that criteria. Haven't found any other than Luke in the top 10 so far. Others can continue looking. I have to go to work.

Last edited by voodoochile; 10-16-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
... Neither does Nellie apparently who appeared for the A's (still in Philly) for 3 years before he went to the Sox....

Nellie Fox was traded to the Astros after the 1963 season for two relief pitchers, one who had just one more minor league season in him before his retirement and a converted Cubs outfielder who was part of the atrocious White Sox bullpens of 1969 and 1970. It's really amazing how many players from the 1970 White Sox never played in the majors again. But I digress.

What is most interesting about the end of Nellie Fox's career with the Astros, aside from physical issues he played through, was that the Astros replaced him with Joe Morgan, who got to the Hall of Fame before Fox. Legend has it that Fox convinced Morgan that he would hit better with a lighter bat.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Complete edit: No the games listed are exclusive to the Sox. Yes they played for other teams also, but the games listed in that list are exclusively games they played for the Sox. Frank and Konerko both played over 2300 games total in their careers.

And yes they don't fit the description at the top of the link. Neither does Nellie apparently who appeared for the A's (still in Philly) for 3 years before he went to the Sox.

Very few players in that list will fit that criteria. Haven't found any other than Luke in the top 10 so far. Others can continue looking. I have to go to work.
Without looking at any lists I would say that Appling and Lyons spent the most time with the Sox without playing for any other team, I might be wrong but I believe Red Faber spent his entire career with the Sox also and was second to Lyons in career wins. Big Ed Walsh almost spent his entire career with the Sox but in his last year signed on with the old Boston Braves.
Officer Karkovice spent his entire career with the Sox but for only 11-12 years.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 10-16-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post

What is most interesting about the end of Nellie Fox's career with the Astros, aside from physical issues he played through, was that the Astros replaced him with Joe Morgan, who got to the Hall of Fame before Fox. Legend has it that Fox convinced Morgan that he would hit better with a lighter bat.
I believe Fox also convinced Morgan to use a smaller glove. Morgan was influential along with Whitey Ford and Yogi Berra to push for Fox for the HOF.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwny View Post
I believe Fox also convinced Morgan to use a smaller glove. Morgan was influential along with Whitey Ford and Yogi Berra to push for Fox for the HOF.
Nellie helped Morgan immensely at bat and in the field. Remember how Morgan would flap his arms against the side of his body while at bat, that was because Nellie thought that Joe had his arms to close to his body while swinging which hindered his extension, so Joe flapped his arms as a reminder.

PS. It was more than a rumor that Sox manager Al Lopez who didn't get along with Nellie (and Billy Pierce) was instrumental in keeping Nellie out of the HOF during his time on the HOF Veterans Committee.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Nellie helped Morgan immensely at bat and in the field. Remember how Morgan would flap his arms against the side of his body while at bat, that was because Nellie thought that Joe had his arms to close to his body while swinging which hindered his extension, so Joe flapped his arms as a reminder.

PS. It was more than a rumor that Sox manager Al Lopez who didn't get along with Nellie (and Billy Pierce) was instrumental in keeping Nellie out of the HOF during his time on the HOF Veterans Committee.
Quote:

Thank you all for that information about Fox and Morgan. I never knew any of this until today.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-16-2018, 11:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
To answer your first question, not sure how many players spent their whole careers with the team, but eight players have logged in ten or more years of major league service exclusively with the White Sox:

CORRECTION: NINE players

Luke Appling 1930-50
Ted Lyons 1923-46
Red Faber 1914-33
Johnny Mostil 1918, 1921-29
Lee Tannehill 1903-12
Orval Grove 1940-49
Ron Karkovice 1986-97
Mike Squires 1975, 1977-85
John Danks 2007-16

Last edited by TommyJohn; 10-16-2018 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:18 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Nellie Fox was traded to the Astros after the 1963 season...
Nit-pick: they were the Houston Colt .45s then. They didn't become the Astros until 1965.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-17-2018, 12:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Nit-pick: they were the Houston Colt .45s then. They didn't become the Astros until 1965.

I actually looked it up before I posted it to make sure they were they were still the Colts in 1964, yet still managed to type Astros.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:13 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

So sad about Lopez and Nellie. I once read that Al thought Nellie waffled under pressure when turning a DP. Nellie made it after all, so it came out OK in the end.