Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2018, 01:56 AM
WSI Guru

Default Rebuild crowd, is this what you wanted?

Those who were focused almost completely on maximizing draft position for 2019, was it worth all the suffering of a 100-loss season, including the lack of significant progress by most of the organization's young talent and Michael Kopech's torn UCL? For me, I'm fine with the third pick, but everything that came with hitting the century mark in the loss column made this one very tough to take. Worse yet, I don't see any real improvement next season except for Eloy Jimenez finally making the bigs. I'm sure better days are ahead as they're prone to be for rebuilding teams that stockpile young talent, but I honestly feel less confident that the Sox will hit their mark in 2020, 2021 or maybe ever. Given the organization's tendencies, I can see this rebuild just as likely to set the franchise back another five years as to become a perennial playoff contender.

Am I being a dark cloud here? In spite of the justification for it, I can't stand my team losing 100 games under any circumstances. I feel it means we're further away from success than we realized.

Bottom line: were you actually happy to see this play out the way it did? If so, why?
Old 10-02-2018, 03:50 AM
WSI Prelate

That's a really silly question to be asking when we're still at the beginning of the process. It insinuates that our end goal was to be ****ty at baseball and for everything to go wrong. Also, Kopech's injury wasn't a result of the team's plan for the future, so bringing it up as a "was it worth that?" isn't the least bit fair.

As for your pessimism, that's silly, too. As I mentioned earlier, we're still early on in the process. Coming to any kind of conclusion about a multi-year strategy after one season doesn't make any sense. Some rebuilds fail, and this one might, as well. But having a bad season at the beginning of that rebuild doesn't mean that it has failed.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

It's a baseball blog; the question is fine. Early on the team as a whole played to worst quality of baseball I'd have ever seen. Then they got it together, or at least played a less objectionable quality of baseball.

I'd has hoped the events around this season had not happen (Burger, Adolpho, injuries to pitchers over this year and last specifically) an one hundred losses is really an embarrassment. Hopefully the pick that came from such a bad season of baseball develops into a perennial all-star for the White Sox. Maybe it's the catcher from Oregon State?

Maybe an infielder? This team needs more pitching depth. The staff this year issued the most BB issues, SO were in the bottom third of the league and as a staff had a terrible terrible WHIP. That said, the parent club needs a pitching coach at the big league level.

With 2018 in the books I hope the worst is behind us fans. I expect much better play in all phases of the game in 2019.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-02-2018, 05:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

The injuries are concerning, and slow progress for certain prospects is a little moreso. But we've gotten some pretty good talent drafting third in the past, and next draft shouldn't be any different.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'm sure that no one is happy about much that happened this year, but we probably all knew that this was going to be a painful process .. my memory is pretty damn bad, but didn't Rick Hahn say that this would be the worst year of the rebuild .. anyway you looked at it, 2018 was always going to be rough .. i'm one of those guys that never expected anything in 2019, other than a slight improvement .. 2020 was the year that i expected to break .500 .. i've always looked to 2021 as the year to start making a move ..
Old 10-02-2018, 06:41 AM
WSI Personality

I'm happy that we didn't finish the season playing like we did in August so it will hopefully squash any delusions of "competing" next year. This was an awful baseball team with a lineup that would struggle to compete in triple A. The injuries to our prospects were maddening so hopefully this next year will see us stay healthy and start to see some growth.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:42 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post

Bottom line: were you actually happy to see this play out the way it did? If so, why?
Not happy, but I did expect to go through significant pain for a few years, so totally expected it. I think having a competitive team this year would have been a nice surprise, but that is it. And I don't get stressed about injuries, that is just how things are nowadays. My motto is keep piling on the draft picks (we should add another high pick in 2020 based on a mediocre 2019 as well), expect that a good many will fail, but some will hit. Then add a few key free agent signings and we are back in business.

Another way to think about it positively is what if they kept with the "middle of the road" approach? A barren farm system and over the hill free agent signings?

I am all in on the rebuild.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:42 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Not ecstatic with the results but not upset. I don't care about the 100 loss thing. I don't see a huge difference between 99 and 100. I would have liked to avoid it but in the end it's just one more loss and this season was lost a long time ago.

Would have liked to see more development from Giolito and Moncada, but am pleased with Anderson and Lopez and several players are rising well through the minors. Not sure if many other position players are even on the team when the window opens.

Hoping for a good year next year, but I agree the official window opens in 2021 unless several unexpected players take huge steps next year. That's possible, but I'm not counting on it. With injury to Kopech the pitching staff has been set back a year so that piece in the puzzle will not be as finished/ready as I was hoping for, but hopefully they will be fine in 2020.

Eyes on the minors and taking a long range view.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 10-02-2018, 08:41 AM
WSI High Priest

During a rebuild, it is the job of the major league club to LOSE games and IMPROVE DRAFT POSITION. The 2018 White Sox did this acceptably, but probably could have lost a few more games. There were a lot of times when people like Palka won a game for us that the Sox were probably better off losing. On the other hand, Baltimore was just so bad this year maybe there was no way we could have ever caught them. I was much more disappointed by the 2017 White Sox, who realistically could have won the #1 draft pick but blew it with a late season rally.

On the MLB team, there are only a handful of players whose stats and performance matters: Moncada, Kopech, Lopez, Giolito, Anderson, Sanchez, and a couple of the newest bullpen guys like Burr and Hamilton. THIS is where the disappointment is from. These guys mostly played poorly. They need to get better. They have time to get better, we don't need them to be good until 2020 or so. But guys like Palka, Delmonico, Engel, Shields, etc., their job is to lose games. They did it.

There are plenty of prospects at the A level who played well this season. It gives us some hope for the future. I agree that with Moncada, Lopez, Giolito, etc. all underwhelming, maybe we are looking at 2021 or 2022 as the first year the Sox are good instead of 2020.

I think all the talk of the Sox competing in 2019 was delusional, and so I'm not really bummed out by Kopech missing a season. What I hope to see from the 2019 White Sox is (1) signing or otherwise acquiring a bunch of older free agents to 1-2 year deals over the offseason like Soria last offseason (2) trading those guys at the deadline for more prospects, and (3) another top-5 draft pick.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 10-02-2018, 08:48 AM
WSI High Priest

More fundamentally, I'm glad that owners and fans across MLB (and other sports) now realize that baseball rewards excellence with championships, rewards terribleness with prospects, and has no reward for mediocrity.

For most of history, mediocrity has been the White Sox middle name. The White Sox rarely finish in first place, but they also rarely finish in last place. The history of the Sox contains few 100-loss seasons, but plenty of years where they finished in a relatively distant second or third with a team that was entertaining to watch during wins but not consistent enough to go anywhere.

So this is a bit of a culture shock, something very different from White Sox history. But it's necessary and rational.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:50 AM
WSI Prelate

The season is over. We lost 100 games. It's done. It's behind us.

Many unanswered questions remain, but some of the questions are positive, too. I don't think any of us expected this kind of season from Palka, for instance. Anderson showed defensive improvement; how much more can he continue to improve at the plate, on the bases, and in the field? Moncada had a great April before he got hurt, and then had a solid September; can he cut down on the strikeouts in 2019, perhaps by learning to foul off borderline/difficult to hit strikes rather than simply taking them?

I think the "draft the best player available, college player preferred" will result in the Sox getting another high floor contributor with some upside, which would be much less certain with the mid-teens pick that would have come with 10 more wins.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
That's a really silly question to be asking when we're still at the beginning of the process. It insinuates that our end goal was to be ****ty at baseball and for everything to go wrong. Also, Kopech's injury wasn't a result of the team's plan for the future, so bringing it up as a "was it worth that?" isn't the least bit fair.

As for your pessimism, that's silly, too. As I mentioned earlier, we're still early on in the process. Coming to any kind of conclusion about a multi-year strategy after one season doesn't make any sense. Some rebuilds fail, and this one might, as well. But having a bad season at the beginning of that rebuild doesn't mean that it has failed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
It's a baseball blog; the question is fine. Early on the team as a whole played to worst quality of baseball I'd have ever seen. Then they got it together, or at least played a less objectionable quality of baseball.

I'd has hoped the events around this season had not happen (Burger, Adolpho, injuries to pitchers over this year and last specifically) an one hundred losses is really an embarrassment. Hopefully the pick that came from such a bad season of baseball develops into a perennial all-star for the White Sox. Maybe it's the catcher from Oregon State?

Maybe an infielder? This team needs more pitching depth. The staff this year issued the most BB issues, SO were in the bottom third of the league and as a staff had a terrible terrible WHIP. That said, the parent club needs a pitching coach at the big league level.

With 2018 in the books I hope the worst is behind us fans. I expect much better play in all phases of the game in 2019.
Good answers both of you.

I doubt any Sox fan is going to say that they're happy that Kopech tore his UCL because it helped us secure the 3rd overall pick? I also really doubt any Sox fan, even those eyeing that 3rd pick, were rooting for top prospects to get injured or to under-perform.

Also, let's not forget that a number of top prospects did make good progress this year other than Jimenez: Cease, Lopez, Gonzalez, Rutherford, Basabe. Madrigal hitting .300 and only 5 strikeouts in High-A right out of college. Even Kopech and Dunning made great progress before being injured and I still expect them to be part of a successful Sox in a couple of years. There's no reason to think that Kopech's TJS or Dunning's elbow strain have wiped them out of the picture.

100 losses is not something any fan wants, but I don't see it as a reliable indicator that this rebuild is headed for failure. If things work out in a couple of years, people aren't going to remember whether the Sox lost 95, 99, or 100 games this year.

To answer the OP's question: yes, I think you're being a dark cloud. But, I can't blame you. We are in a dark time for this franchise. It's hard to be upbeat when the promise of a payoff is still a couple years away and not guaranteed. But, as others have said, there's still reason to hope for 2020 or 2021.

Last edited by Hitmen77; 10-02-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Not ecstatic with the results but not upset. I don't care about the 100 loss thing. I don't see a huge difference between 99 and 100. I would have liked to avoid it but in the end it's just one more loss and this season was lost a long time ago.

Would have liked to see more development from Giolito and Moncada, but am pleased with Anderson and Lopez and several players are rising well through the minors. Not sure if many other position players are even on the team when the window opens.

Hoping for a good year next year, but I agree the official window opens in 2021 unless several unexpected players take huge steps next year. That's possible, but I'm not counting on it. With injury to Kopech the pitching staff has been set back a year so that piece in the puzzle will not be as finished/ready as I was hoping for, but hopefully they will be fine in 2020.

Eyes on the minors and taking a long range view.
My sentiments exactly. Well said.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-02-2018, 10:20 AM
WSI Personality

They would have been in contention in this division with Sale, Quintana, Eaton, and a few bullpen arms. So when I see 100 losses and no significant progress being made in the minors, yes, this season was a disappointment. The whole concept that you need to be terrible in order to be good in the future is comical
Old 10-02-2018, 10:28 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Liked_Manuel View Post
They would have been in contention in this division with Sale, Quintana, Eaton, and a few bullpen arms. So when I see 100 losses and no significant progress being made in the minors, yes, this season was a disappointment. The whole concept that you need to be terrible in order to be good in the future is comical

The addition of Sale, Quintana, Eaton, and a few bullpen arms put this team in contention — now that is comical. This team maybe moves up to 75 wins, mired in mediocrity, which as HomeFish points out, is not rewarded by MLB.

The Sox have the go-for-it-every-year approach since the turn of the millennium, and it's gotten them two divisional championships and one World Series championship in 16 years. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insanity.

Apr 5 L
Apr 10 L
May 18 L
May 22 W
Jun 1 W
Jun 22 L W
Jul 2 L @ CIN
Jul 3 W @ CIN
Jul 11 W
Jul 28 W
Aug 17 W
Sep 8 L