Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2018, 11:15 AM
WSI Guru

Default Who stays...who goes?

I do this every year as a thought experiment just to get opinions. Naturally this has little connection with reality since roster construction is so interdependent on things like health, free agent signings and so forth.

But looking at the current 40 man roster with each player taken in a vacuum unrelated to other players who would you like to see just flat out gone from this rag tag bunch?

Here would be my selections (and the sheer number of them says all you need to know about the current overall talent)

Bummer
Covey
Farquhar
Fulmer
Gomez
Gonzales
Jones
Minaya
Ruiz
Santiago
Scahill
Shields
Vieira
Castillo
Cordell
A. Garcia
L. Garcia
LaMarre
Tilson

Obviously the Sox aren't probably going to cut half of these retreads, stiffs and deadbeats but in a perfect world, every single one of them would be out the door for me for various reasons...no talent, can't stay healthy, shows little hope of getting better, age etc.

Really getting bored and frustrated here in the hospital so I figured this would be a good way to pass some time.

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 10-01-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Why just position players?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-01-2018, 11:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Really getting bored and frustrated here in the hospital so I figured this would be a good way to pass some time.

Lip: Sorry to hear you are in the hospital. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

277-241.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:46 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Why just position players?
13 of the 19 players the Lip listed are pitchers
Old 10-01-2018, 11:46 AM
WSI Prelate

Lip, I'm sorry you are in the hospital. I had wondered about your absence and am glad you are back on here.

Of the list you provided, I think only Fulmer, Covey, and Bummer, have a realistic shot of being here when the Sox contention window opens (I think) in 2021. And then, I can only see those guys in a bullpen role: Bummer because he's young and left-handed, and Covey and Fulmer because they have good stuff that might be effective in 2-3 inning max effort stints.

I'm not opposed to any of the remaining players on your list having an opportunity to win a spot on the 2019 roster, but for various reasons I think most of them will be gone after 2020 at the latest.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:49 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Bummer
Covey
Farquhar
Fulmer
Gomez
Gonzales
Jones
Minaya
Ruiz
Santiago
Scahill
Shields
Vieira
Castro
Cordell
A. Garcia
L. Garcia
LaMarre
Tilson
Shouldn't Castro actually be Castillo?
Old 10-01-2018, 02:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Lip, sorry to hear that you're under the weather. Get well soon!

I'm not sure I'm ready to have the Sox dump Ruiz just yet. He actually had a fairly successful season in the minors this year and, at age 22 and a very short amount of time in the majors, it's too early to write him off as a useless stiff. Here's one person's look at Ruiz as a prospect:

https://soxon35th.com/2018/08/16/dee...rhp-jose-ruiz/
Old 10-01-2018, 02:37 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
I do this every year as a thought experiment just to get opinions. Naturally this has little connection with reality since roster construction is so interdependent on things like health, free agent signings and so forth.

But looking at the current 40 man roster with each player taken in a vacuum unrelated to other players who would you like to see just flat out gone from this rag tag bunch?

Here would be my selections (and the sheer number of them says all you need to know about the current overall talent)

Bummer
Covey
Farquhar
Fulmer
Gomez
Gonzales
Jones
Minaya
Ruiz
Santiago
Scahill
Shields
Vieira
Castro
Cordell
A. Garcia
L. Garcia
LaMarre
Tilson

Obviously the Sox aren't probably going to cut half of these retreads, stiffs and deadbeats but in a perfect world, every single one of them would be out the door for me for various reasons...no talent, can't stay healthy, shows little hope of getting better, age etc.

Glad you're on the mend, Lip.

I don't care who is on the roster in 2019, in my mind, it is another rebuild year.

Of the names on this list, Fulmer, Bummer and Gomez are the only ones with a chance at the 2020 roster. Not a solid chance, but a chance. Maybe Cordell is a dark horse.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Maybe Cordell is a dark horse.

I was rooting for Cordell, but he looked hopelessly overmatched by average fastballs. You know who wound up having a decent season after a terrible start? Minaya. I can't believe I just typed that, but he was the best we had in the bullpen after Soria, Cedeno and Avilan were dealt.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:07 PM
WSI High Priest

It's more important to ask who is coming, rather than who is going. The guys on Lip's list should stay until pushed out by a prospect or FA.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 10-01-2018, 04:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Bummer - Keep
Covey - Keep
Farquhar - dump
Fulmer - keep
Gomez - dump
Gonzales - keep
Jones - dump
Minaya - dump
Ruiz - dump
Santiago - dump
Scahill - dump
Shields - dump
Vieira - keep
Castro - couldn't rightly tell you who Castro is.
Cordell - keep
A. Garcia - keep
L. Garcia - keep
LaMarre - dump
Tilson - dump

My comments noted above.
And now for management, the true culprits:
Williams - kick further upstairs with a ceremonial role
Hahn - dump
Cooper - dump
Renteria - dump
Haber - dump
Steverson - either way
Hostetler - dump
Old 10-01-2018, 04:28 PM
WSI Guru

Thanks for the good wishes guys. Been in the hospital for eight days now but I've had this GI issue for about a month and have lost 20 pounds. Like the Sox rebuild it is a process. Unfortunately.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Thanks for the good wishes guys. Been in the hospital for eight days now but I've had this GI issue for about a month and have lost 20 pounds. Like the Sox rebuild it is a process. Unfortunately.
Get well quick.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:57 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

I look at the list and see no one that figures into a real rebuild.

Lip,

I hope the problem you have is found and corrected. Being in the hospital really sucks, I was in for 15 days earlier this year. Cant get any rest till you get home so hope thats soon.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
13 of the 19 players the Lip listed are pitchers

Why just limit the discussion to players on the field?