White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 12-27-2017, 10:53 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 19,105
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
The Machado craziness a few weeks back was if Tim Anderson has zero chance to be a formidable SS for us. No, I'm not saying Anderson can come close to being what Machado is. But what if he becomes a consistent 3 WAR ballplayer on that bargain deal of $25 million for the next 5 years? I'd sure like to have that $275 million leftover to buy multiple pieces for a WS run come 2020.
Exactly!

Because if Anderson is a 3 WAR player at $5M/year, then we also have the ~$275M to fill holes as you mention, AND we have additional prospect depth - that we didnít trade for Machado - that either can fill holes with us OR be used as trade bait to fill other holes.
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-04-2018, 07:04 PM
Andrew C White Andrew C White is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,907
Default

It's a good thing we already know Phil Rogers doesn't know what he is talking about...

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/ch...ox/c-264272478

I'd love to have Christian Yelich on the team but he's got us giving away the farm to get him. And his comparison to Rizzo is completely wrong. Rizzo became the Cubs #1 prospect when he was traded for... more like Moncada or Jiminez rather than an established veteran like Yelich.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-04-2018, 07:32 PM
thomas35forever's Avatar
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 26,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
It's a good thing we already know Phil Rogers doesn't know what he is talking about...

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/ch...ox/c-264272478

I'd love to have Christian Yelich on the team but he's got us giving away the farm to get him. And his comparison to Rizzo is completely wrong. Rizzo became the Cubs #1 prospect when he was traded for... more like Moncada or Jiminez rather than an established veteran like Yelich.
Bingo. This idea is stupid. We're nowhere close to even considering trading prospects. We spent all that effort rebuilding our system, and now, he thinks we should start shelling out? Clearly, he hasn't been as frustrated as we have with the lack of young talent that has plagued us for years.
__________________
Consistency lost
If found, please return to 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago. Generous reward offered.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-04-2018, 07:41 PM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Bingo. This idea is stupid. We're nowhere close to even considering trading prospects. We spent all that effort rebuilding our system, and now, he thinks we should start shelling out? Clearly, he hasn't been as frustrated as we have with the lack of young talent that has plagued us for years.
He must not follow the team. What a way to waste a year of rebuilding.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-05-2018, 02:23 PM
Flight #24 Flight #24 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
It's a good thing we already know Phil Rogers doesn't know what he is talking about...

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/ch...ox/c-264272478

I'd love to have Christian Yelich on the team but he's got us giving away the farm to get him. And his comparison to Rizzo is completely wrong. Rizzo became the Cubs #1 prospect when he was traded for... more like Moncada or Jiminez rather than an established veteran like Yelich.
I'm not averse to trading for Yelich, for many of the reasons listed by Rogers. I do think it's a good use of prospects to package multiples of lower level guys for one bonafide guy. That said, Rogers is WAY overpaying.

Hahn gets those kind of deals from other teams for his stars, he doesn't pay those prices to get stars. I'd give them one of Cease/Dunning (not both, ideally Cease), Rutherford, and maybe a lower guy (Skoug?). Or perhaps but not sure yet, I could get around to a Giolito or Lopez straight up 1:1 (younger, cheaper, SP for more established/expensive OF).

But no way do I essentially throw a big chunk of my chips in now.
__________________
"You don't quit. You don't go home before it's time. You don't come out of a game, even if you are in pain and feel as if you can't go one more step"
"Never give up, Never, never, never give up."
- Luther Head after Elite 8 win v. Arizona
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-11-2018, 09:03 AM
Zisk77 Zisk77 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edwardsville Il
Posts: 1,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
I'm not averse to trading for Yelich, for many of the reasons listed by Rogers. I do think it's a good use of prospects to package multiples of lower level guys for one bonafide guy. That said, Rogers is WAY overpaying.

Hahn gets those kind of deals from other teams for his stars, he doesn't pay those prices to get stars. I'd give them one of Cease/Dunning (not both, ideally Cease), Rutherford, and maybe a lower guy (Skoug?). Or perhaps but not sure yet, I could get around to a Giolito or Lopez straight up 1:1 (younger, cheaper, SP for more established/expensive OF).

But no way do I essentially throw a big chunk of my chips in now.
I think you could get Yelich for less if the the sox agreed to take Martin Prado & his salary. Maybe Ruthford, Fulmer, & Rose or something like that.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.