Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2017, 03:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Worries me too. It could make sense to consolidate some prospects for another pre-arb young player they may like in a position of need.
But to start trading them in bunches for the veteran...please, no. They just aren't very good at those moves, as per Frazier, Ritchie, Swisher, et al (and yea, maybe they didn't give up much, but they didn't get help themselves either).
Old 12-26-2017, 09:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Yeah but no.. surely this is a sign that the Sox have put KW back in charge and are going to dump all their top 100 prospects +Anderson, Avi, Abreu and Moncada for Adam Dunn and his kid plus a dog or two to cover the outfield...

So tiring. The crap about Ken Williams is beyond childish now. Sox good = thank you Rick Hahn. Sox struggle = **** you Ken Williams.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:41 AM
WSI High Priest

No- I'm not worried. The key phrase is "due diligence". Consistent with every current Sox player being available for "a price", they are inquiring about every player on the market, just to cover all their bases. I don't see them pulling the plug and cutting the rebuild short- one more great draft position in June, and possibly one more sell off/flipping of veterans at the Aug 1 deadline- then consider adding via the FA market next offseason.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 12-26-2017, 11:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
So tiring. The crap about Ken Williams is beyond childish now. Sox good = thank you Rick Hahn. Sox struggle = **** you Ken Williams.

Pretty sure teal was implied in Voodoo's post.

277-241.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:11 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Worries me too. It could make sense to consolidate some prospects for another pre-arb young player they may like in a position of need.
But to start trading them in bunches for the veteran...please, no. They just aren't very good at those moves, as per Frazier, Ritchie, Swisher, et al (and yea, maybe they didn't give up much, but they didn't get help themselves either).
Exactly.

I'll assert that they don't have any needs for 2018, when they won't sniff .500; and they won't be able to identify any "position of need" for 2019+ until they've seen the prospects play for another year.

Even with a crystal ball, I don't see how Gerrit Cole would ever fit in.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:21 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Pretty sure teal was implied in Voodoo's post.
I think he got that and was referring to the same people I was referring to.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 12-26-2017, 12:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I think he got that and was referring to the same people I was referring to.
Indeed.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:32 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Don't get nervous. 95% of trade rumors each offseason lead to nothing. Most blockbuster trades have a rumor lifetime of about 24 hours (we did not see the Eaton trade until it happened, the Sale trade, while expected, came under much better terms which we did not expect).

Just sit back, strap it down and enjoy the offseason.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry
Just sit back, strap it down and enjoy the offseason.
This is the most boring offseason I can remember in a LONG time. ďHot stoveĒ my ass.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
This is the most boring offseason I can remember in a LONG time. “Hot stove” my ass.
The floodgates are now wide open -- Zach Duke signed with the Twins.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:28 AM
WSI High Priest

I don't even mind the buying for the right guy. If its a guy with the right age, and we are trading from a deeper position and don't touch the elite guys, I am totally fine with it.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:08 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I don't even mind the buying for the right guy. If its a guy with the right age, and we are trading from a deeper position and don't touch the elite guys, I am totally fine with it.
Who do you consider "the right guy"? Who do you consider "the elite guys"?

Machado made the most sense as a cornerstone, but with the wrong contract situation. No one year rental is worth trading for.

Yelich made sense for length of contract, but we have a ton of outfield talent in the system, and I don't think he's good enough to be a cornerstone.

I don't think any of our top ten should be trade bait right now except Fulmer. Not Cease, not Rutherford, not Dunning, not Burger. Any of these guys could end up playing for the Sox for seven years, cheap.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post

Machado made the most sense as a cornerstone, but with the wrong contract situation. No one year rental is worth trading for.

Yelich made sense for length of contract, but we have a ton of outfield talent in the system, and I don't think he's good enough to be a cornerstone.

I don't think any of our top ten should be trade bait right now except Fulmer. Not Cease, not Rutherford, not Dunning, not Burger. Any of these guys could end up playing for the Sox for seven years, cheap.
Depending on the price, I wouldn't mind trying to get any of the 3 mentioned. Yelich won't be a star, but he does something that no one in our farm really projects to do, and that is be a consistent .280-.300 hitter. Eloy might do that, he really exploded last year, but otherwise we have a lot of higher OBP/Power guys.

I would not move Dunning, just because I really like him, and I am high on Cease. I would move Rutherford in a second, not a believer there, and likely too early to tell on Burger.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17
I would not move Dunning, just because I really like him, and I am high on Cease. I would move Rutherford in a second, not a believer there, and likely too early to tell on Burger.
This is another important part of the process that canít be stressed enough. Identifying the prospects who wonít reach their ceilings and trading them before their value vanishes into thin air is going to become a big factor as the team gradually improves.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post

This is exactly why I find it pretty dumb to start looking ahead as "buyers" when we have zero clue on what we have yet for development in the farm.

We arguably have a guy at every position to consider down in the farm or controllable at the Big League level. Why not let it play it out and see which positions flop? Then you go and spend money to fill those positions.

The Machado craziness a few weeks back was if Tim Anderson has zero chance to be a formidable SS for us. No, I'm not saying Anderson can come close to being what Machado is. But what if he becomes a consistent 3 WAR ballplayer on that bargain deal of $25 million for the next 5 years? I'd sure like to have that $275 million leftover to buy multiple pieces for a WS run come 2020.