GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2017, 12:05 PM
WSI Guru

Default Sox looked at Yelich...

Jerry Crasnick @jcrasnick

The #WhiteSox and #Marlins recently discussed Christian Yelich, but never got much traction. Chicago has a deep enough farm system to match up with Miami, but talks failed to advance beyond the "routine dialogue'' stage. Rival executives think the #Marlins will hang onto Yelich.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:11 PM
WSI Personality

The Sox should look at every premiere talent and assess whether it's worth a shot at either paying them big or trading some prospects to acquire them. Glad they are doing their due diligence.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:38 PM
WSI Personality

I suggested the Sox make a run at him a few weeks back because of how well he would fit into our rebuilding window. I wonder what the Marlins were asking for.... If he does stay in MIA, then he will still be available next offseason when the Sox are closer to contention anyways.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:51 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
The Sox should look at every premiere talent and assess whether it's worth a shot at either paying them big or trading some prospects to acquire them. Glad they are doing their due diligence.
It would do them no good to have traded Eaton for a haul of prospects and then trade a similar haul of prospects for Yelich. Good player, wrong way to build a winner.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Rival executives think the #Marlins will hang onto Yelich.
Lucky him...
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 12-22-2017, 06:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
It would do them no good to have traded Eaton for a haul of prospects and then trade a similar haul of prospects for Yelich. Good player, wrong way to build a winner.
For the right package it makes sense. Trading Giolito, Lopez, and Dunning obviously doesn't make sense. But a package of Rutherford, Fulmer and Avi (or a 3rd team's prospects for him) would work well. Might have to take Martin Prado and his contract to make it happen.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
For the right package it makes sense. Trading Giolito, Lopez, and Dunning obviously doesn't make sense. But a package of Rutherford, Fulmer and Avi (or a 3rd team's prospects for him) would work well. Might have to take Martin Prado and his contract to make it happen.
I don't think the Marlins would be that dumb (and I think the Marlins are amazingly dumb).
Old 12-22-2017, 07:07 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I don't think the Marlins would be that dumb (and I think the Marlins are amazingly dumb).
It's a pretty similar package to what we got for Eaton actually. Have to keep in mind what value the players traded in the Eaton deal had at the time they were dealt.

Giolito > Fulmer- Giolito's stock was down due to loss of velocity and the Nats were looking to maximize his return in a deal. Failed to trade him at the deadline a few times in the '16 season. Fulmer has top talent and finished strong at the end of the year in the majors.

Rutherford = Lopez- Both top 50 prospects. Wash.

Avi > Dunning- Avi is a cheap corner outfielder that is coming off a breakout .885 OPS season with 2 years remaining. He can still add lots of value if he has a big first half. Dunning was a late first rounder and those rarely amount to much.

And if the Sox eat Prado's contract, which is of great interest to the payroll conscious Marlins? That is maybe a better deal for the Marlins than what the Sox got for Eaton.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:48 PM
WSI Prelate

But Garcia has no value for the Fish. Theyíre dumping Garcia types, not keeping them.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 12-22-2017, 07:52 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
But Garcia has no value for the Fish. They’re dumping Garcia types, not keeping them.
As I said a few posts earlier, Garcia or a 3rd team's prospects for him in a 3 way trade.

Marlins will need people to play OF too, as if this deal went down, they would have traded all 3 of theirs. Garcia's value can still increase and they might like that upside.

Last edited by ChiSoxNationPres; 12-22-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
It's a pretty similar package to what we got for Eaton actually. Have to keep in mind what value the players traded in the Eaton deal had at the time they were dealt.

Giolito > Fulmer- Giolito's stock was down due to loss of velocity and the Nats were looking to maximize his return in a deal. Failed to trade him at the deadline a few times in the '16 season. Fulmer has top talent and finished strong at the end of the year in the majors.

Rutherford = Lopez- Both top 50 prospects. Wash.

Avi > Dunning- Avi is a cheap corner outfielder that is coming off a breakout .885 OPS season with 2 years remaining. He can still add lots of value if he has a big first half. Dunning was a late first rounder and those rarely amount to much.

And if the Sox eat Prado's contract, which is of great interest to the payroll conscious Marlins? That is maybe a better deal for the Marlins than what the Sox got for Eaton.
I'm all for using salary flexibility to buy prospects, but the rest of this package doesn't add up.

Giolito >> Fulmer
Giolito was the #3 prospect (and #1 pitching prospect) in the country in 2016, though his ranking fell to the 10-25 range before 2017. Fulmer's last ranking was around 70 and I don't think his stock rose last year.

Lopez > Rutherford
Lopez was around #30 before the trade, having risen quickly and pitched pretty well for the Nats. Rutherford was in the 37-49 range a year ago and his stock certainly fell.

Avi vs Dunning
This is irrelevant, because the Marlins won't want Avi. And if we can turn Avi into a good enough prospect to interest the Marlins, maybe we should just keep that prospect.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I'm all for using salary flexibility to buy prospects, but the rest of this package doesn't add up.

Giolito >> Fulmer
Giolito was the #3 prospect (and #1 pitching prospect) in the country in 2016, though his ranking fell to the 10-25 range before 2017. Fulmer's last ranking was around 70 and I don't think his stock rose last year.

Lopez > Rutherford
Lopez was around #30 before the trade, having risen quickly and pitched pretty well for the Nats. Rutherford was in the 37-49 range a year ago and his stock certainly fell.

Avi vs Dunning
This is irrelevant, because the Marlins won't want Avi. And if we can turn Avi into a good enough prospect to interest the Marlins, maybe we should just keep that prospect.
There were multiple reports that the Nats were down on Giolito as they were trying to trade him a few times. You don't actively shop the #1 pitching prospect if you think he will pan out. He was given an "80" grade for his fastball when he was the top guy, he has no where near that anymore. See his horrendous first half in the minors with the Sox just after acquiring him.

Lopez was #38 and Rutherford is #40.... that's a wash.

Again, we would find a 3rd team to give prospects for Avi to the Marlins. You wanting to keep the prospects doesn't have relevance in evaluating the trade proposal, that is a separate discussion.

This is to match up with the Eaton trade, and Eaton actually had quite a bit more value than Yelich too. He had 3.8 greater WAR than Yelich in the combined 3 years leading up to the trade or would be trade for both.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:20 AM
WSI High Priest

I would rather just keep Rutherford, Fulmer, and any prospects we can get for Avi. Donít get me wrong, Yelich is a fine player, but I think itís one offseason too early to start making trades like this. For now, letís keep the farm depth.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Lopez was #38 and Rutherford is #40.... that's a wash.
Those numbers are a wash alright; hogwash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I would rather just keep Rutherford, Fulmer, and any prospects we can get for Avi. Donít get me wrong, Yelich is a fine player, but I think itís one offseason too early to start making trades like this. For now, letís keep the farm depth.
Is Yelich a fine player? Yes.

Would he look great on the Chicago White Sox under the right situation? Yes.

As Mohoney points out, the time and situation is not right.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:22 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Those numbers are a wash alright; hogwash.

Is Yelich a fine player? Yes.

Would he look great on the Chicago White Sox under the right situation? Yes.

As Mohoney points out, the time and situation is not right.
Confused. Lopez is really that much better? Rutherford had a chance to be the number 1 pick in the draft if there weren't signing concerns.

Players with the contract and age like Yelich aren't available often. Not much difference in years from a prospect's 6 years and Yelich's 5 years, fits our timeline well. If we were acquiring Benintendi now would it be the wrong time and situation? He has the same years of control.

But I can understand wanting to let all the prospects pan out until we see our big league team start to take shape. I just think with this package of guys I suggested, that there are some question marks with them being a part of the future here. Rutherford is only expendable in this trade because Yelich is the MLB best case scenario for him. After that, Fulmer likely will just be a 7-8th inning guy and Avi has only 2 years control.

I don't want us to trade our prospects, but the mentioned players aren't making or breaking our rebuild. By getting young, proven, cost controllable players, like Yelich, that takes the risk away from banking on ALL of our prospects to pan out. Right now the only position player in the MLB that I'm confident will be a starter the next 6 years on the team is Moncada. Lot's of risk currently lying in our prospects panning out at a higher percent than league average.