And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2017, 11:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Default The Sox Are Being Sued

http://es.pn/2CDh7Am

Mod Note: This lawsuit was brought by a player who injured himself banging into a box on the wall while trying to run down a fowl ball.

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
2016 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Champ

Last edited by voodoochile; 12-16-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:28 PM
WSI Guru

The Sox will probably settle before it gets far, but a player assumes the risk of his environment whenever he goes out there. I'm sorry he got hurt, but these things happen.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:39 PM
WSI Prelate

This is the first I have ever heard of something like this.

Not sure how the union and league didn't get together to avoid something like a lawsuit going public.

He's still a union member from what I know, assuming his injuries are not career ending.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Um, okay?

What happened to him was horrible and really sad given his debut, but a lawsuit?

Old 12-16-2017, 12:41 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

*yawn*

Old 12-16-2017, 10:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

The lawyer representing Fowler:

Old 12-16-2017, 11:02 AM
WSI Guru

From what I read the electrical box was on the field of play in foul territory, it was unpadded...just a metal box and it was at a knee high level.

I think the kid actually has a case. There should have been some type of padding around it (that could be removable for access) in my opinion.

Even though the odds were a million to one, someone should have thought about this ahead of time.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

That's weird. He's covered by insurance. He's still employed. He's still being paid his wages. He can only possibly be suing for future wages lost due to the injury. And the A's traded for him as a high profile piece of the Sonny Gray trade which means he is expected to recover, play at a high level, and presumably earn the kind of money major leaguers make. If his career was lost I can see he might have a case for lost future earnings but the A's apparently think he's going to play.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:47 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Im just a schnook , I wonder what one of the sites renowned barristers think of this.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
From what I read the electrical box was on the field of play in foul territory, it was unpadded...just a metal box and it was at a knee high level.

I think the kid actually has a case. There should have been some type of padding around it (that could be removable for access) in my opinion.

Even though the odds were a million to one, someone should have thought about this ahead of time.
You are correct, sir. Fowler has a case. The question is whether the White Sox knew or should have known that they created an increased likelihood of injury by not padding the box. In my opinion (from what little I remember and have read about it), this accident was foreseeable. The lawsuit is filed in Cook County, so it is likely to get to a jury -- and then it's a crap shoot. I'm a defense lawyer so I'm naturally biased against these kind of lawsuits -- but Fowler definitely has a case.

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Im just a schnook , I wonder what one of the sites renowned barristers think of this.
Based only on what I’ve read in this thread, I’d say Lip Man is on the right track here. A player colliding with an uncovered, unpadded box located in a area where a player (or groundskeeper, for that matter) might do his work is a foreseeable event, even if unlikely, that park management should have safeguarded against. Having the bare metal box exposed to potential contact with a player (or groundskeeper) might be a violation of OSHA laws.

EDIT: Chez beat me to it.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 12-16-2017, 12:34 PM
WSI Guru

Apparently the kid's tendon was cut in half by contact with the box. A trainer weighed in on what the process for recovery for him is, and it doesn't look like an easy one...

""Yeah, it's a tough one when its a midsubstance tear. It's like trying to tie two pieces of spaghetti together. The internal augmentation device is needed to hold it together while it heals. He should be able to play again but it is a tough one and he'll probably miss a good chunk of this year.

edit: I didn't explain the internal augmentation device. It will be a type of synthetic substance such as gortex or the kevlar. They will weave it through the tendon to add stability to the structure as it won't be as strong as it can be for about 18 months. He'll probably play earlier than that but tendon (and most tissues) take about that long to achieve full tensile strength."
Old 12-16-2017, 12:39 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Apparently the kid's tendon was cut in half by contact with the box. A trainer weighed in on what the process for recovery for him is, and it doesn't look like an easy one...

""Yeah, it's a tough one when its a midsubstance tear. It's like trying to tie two pieces of spaghetti together. The internal augmentation device is needed to hold it together while it heals. He should be able to play again but it is a tough one and he'll probably miss a good chunk of this year.

edit: I didn't explain the internal augmentation device. It will be a type of synthetic substance such as gortex or the kevlar. They will weave it through the tendon to add stability to the structure as it won't be as strong as it can be for about 18 months. He'll probably play earlier than that but tendon (and most tissues) take about that long to achieve full tensile strength."
Tendon tears are also much different than Ligament tears. Tendon tears you need to retrain all the muscles to do what they did before the tear. I severed one in my pinky many years ago and it's never worked right since. I admit that's my fault. I wasn't diligent with the therapy being a young stupid kid, but there's a LOT of work that goes into recuperating from a tendon tear - much more than ligament damage.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 12-16-2017, 12:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I ruptured my Achilles playing basketball. I was in a cast for 2.5 months after surgery and had about 1.5-2 months physical therapy once the cast came off. Once my Achilles was fully healed, it was as good as new, so I imagine the player will eventually be able to resume his career without any ill effect.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:48 PM
WSI Prelate

There's a ****ing stadium with the entire OF wall, foul pole to foul pole, covered in brick and then hidden by vines.