White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2017, 01:13 PM
WSI Regular

Default Arrieta

Listening to talk on the Score this morning about what the market looks like for Arrieta. It might sound crazy but I couldn't help but think that the White Sox should be one of the teams in the picture.

*Payroll flexibility (an understatement)
*Need a starter/innings due to young staff/injuries
*Leadership/playoff experience

Wouldn't an Arrieta signing be the equivalent of the Cubs inking Lester - at the time thought to be "early" in their window?

Most of us feel like the Sox could be competing for a playoff spot
as early as '19 ('20 for sure). This pencils in a Playoff vet on that staff - still under the age of 35 at the time.

Few teams have the payroll flexibility we do - and when it will be time to pony up to re-sign Eloy, Robert, Moncada, etc his deal will be near-done.

Penciling in 25-30 mil. per year (again, to a near non-existent payroll) to have someone of his stature as an example to Kopech, Hansen, Giolito, Lopez, etc sure has upside on paper.

I'm under no delusions Jake will win a Cy Young again but even if he can toss 200 innings with an ERA in mid to high 3's - along with the intangibles listed above, that sure looks like a fit.

Alright, let's hear it.

Am I nuts?
Old 12-12-2017, 01:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Arrieta seems like a classic candidate for a regression - a guy who had 1.5 phenomenal seasons near the end of his contract. Somebody is going to pay him a lot of money and assume a lot of risk, and there is no particular reason that needs to be the White Sox.

If this were 2019, maybe. I do think the White Sox will need to sign a top-of-the-rotation free agent at some point in the next three years but the later the better. The Sox can wait and see.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 12-12-2017, 01:17 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow6 View Post
Wouldn't an Arrieta signing be the equivalent of the Cubs inking Lester - at the time thought to be "early" in their window?
There's no comparison. Lester had a track record of pitching at a very high level for the better part of 5/6 years. Arrieta wasn't anything until his late 20's, had a very high (and very short) peak, then regressed really hard last year. The only teams that should consider Arrieta are the ones ready to compete right now.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Oh, no.

Everybody, to overuse a trendy phrase, trust the process.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 12-12-2017, 01:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Oh, no.

I agree. If the Sox want to bring in an ace in a year or two, they will have some options, such as Clayton Kershaw or Chris Sale. I'd rather the Sox go that route than sign Jake Arrieta.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Hell No.
Pass.

He's not worth half of what Boras is asking for.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:22 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Sox dealing with borass for a high priced FA? Not in the Sox chairmans lifetime.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Listening to talk on the Score this morning about what the market looks like for Arrieta. It might sound crazy but I couldn't help but think that the White Sox should be one of the teams in the picture.

as early as '19 ('20 for sure). This pencils in a Playoff vet on that staff - still under the age of 35 at the time.

Few teams have the payroll flexibility we do - and when it will be time to pony up to re-sign Eloy, Robert, Moncada, etc his deal will be near-done.

Penciling in 25-30 mil. per year (again, to a near non-existent payroll) to have someone of his stature as an example to Kopech, Hansen, Giolito, Lopez, etc sure has upside on paper.

I'm under no delusions Jake will win a Cy Young again but even if he can toss 200 innings with an ERA in mid to high 3's - along with the intangibles listed above, that sure looks like a fit.

Alright, let's hear it.

Am I nuts?
I don't know you well enough to answer your question. That said, I don't think the Sox should get in on Arrieta.

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

No way Sale signs with the Chisox
Old 12-12-2017, 03:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

If Arrieta regressed to mean of past few years, that would mean an improvement on 2017 performance, no?
Old 12-12-2017, 03:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Alright, let's hear it.

Am I nuts?
My first thought is Jaime Navarro.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPretzel View Post
My first thought is Jaime Navarro.
Navarro was never comparable to Arrieta. Come on now.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:21 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Oh, no.

"The process" at some point is going to include signing some free agents to multi-year deals that you know will be hard to swallow in years 4,5,6, etc.

Not saying Arrieta is the guy, but it will happen, no?

I think the Cubs are already starting to sweat the money owed to Hayward, Lester, Zobrist, etc. But it was part of the process that landed them a title.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

No thanks on Arrieta. In a couple years when this team is really ready to contend for a championship I would be OK with them spending big money on a top of the rotation starter to try to get over the hump. Now is not the time.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
No way Sale signs with the Chisox
Who knows? Sale isn't a free agent for three more seasons. The Sox will be really good by then and may want to add an ace. I'm not saying it will happen but it is certainly possible.