White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2017, 01:43 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I'm not sure about pitcher handling- I am going to assume he's an upgrade over Smith and his 1 year of major league experience.

Of course hes an upgrade over Smith but at 10X Smiths salary? My point is the Sox are going nowhere in the next 2 years and he wont be a easy flip. Use the money elsewhere, this isnt a organization where money is no object.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:12 PM
WSI Guru

I'm surprised, but I like the move. The money is not much. It's not a long-term commitment, and it's not going to tie the Sox's hands to spend in other areas.

You look at the defensive metrics, Castillo was far superior to both Smith and Narvaez in every area last year. And let's be honest, neither Smith nor Narvaez is a long-term answer at the position. Castillo is a stopgap, but he could be a pretty good stopgap, and like others have said, I want the young pitchers working with a veteran catcher as they come up.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 12-01-2017, 02:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Of course hes an upgrade over Smith but at 10X Smiths salary? My point is the Sox are going nowhere in the next 2 years and he wont be a easy flip. Use the money elsewhere, this isnt a organization where money is no object.
$7.5 million a season is not a difficult flip, especially since it was a 2 year contract. There are currently over 125 players that make more and that number will increase as arbitration numbers and free agents are signed.

I don't see much of a downside, it's not going to do anything to hamper the White Sox in the future.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 12-01-2017, 02:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
And Smith is good enough at minimum.
My guess is that Smith stays and that Narvaez is the one that doesn't make the big league club.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:25 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
$7.5 million a season is not a difficult flip, especially since it was a 2 year contract. There are currently over 125 players that make more and that number will increase as arbitration numbers and free agents are signed.

I don't see much of a downside, it's not going to do anything to hamper the White Sox in the future.
Flipping a catcher owed 10M+ is bit more difficult than a reliefer. Of course there isnt much of a downside, shouldnt change anything for the Sox future. I just would have liked them to spend in a different way.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I understand your point- I just don't think this $7.5M salary is going to prevent any other moves.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 12-01-2017, 02:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
My guess is that Smith stays and that Narvaez is the one that doesn't make the big league club.
Castillo bats right handed. Smith will go and Narvaez will stay until Collins replaces him.

It is a very interesting signing. Narvaez and Smith seemed to be "good enough" for the time being.

He has been consistently league average or better in throwing out runners. But his other defensive numbers are slightly below average though not much.

Anyone know what Castillo's reputation is regarding handling a pitching staff? I've only heard about his bat and am not particularly familiar with him.

Interesting move though. I didn't expect any quality position player signings. Now... if they decide to sign Mike Moustakas then we'll know they decided to accelerate things and that Abreu and Garcia are likely staying put.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:05 PM
WSI Personality

Default Farq This

Clearly signed to catch Danny Farquhar, who agreed to a one-year deal today to avoid arbitration.

http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...n-1-year-deal/
Old 12-01-2017, 03:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
This move does nothing to hamstring this club financially. And since winning is not the top priority right now it's even less of an issue.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:21 PM
WSI High Priest

The Sox are not $7.5 million away from getting hit with the luxury tax. Not sure what people think the opportunity cost here is.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 12-01-2017, 04:22 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I remember him as not being a good defensive catcher, handling of pitchers we have no idea, just because hes a veteran doesnt mean hes good at handling.

Id use the money on relief, easier to flip relief.
Threw out 44% of base runners last year, best in baseball and Hahn talked about over the past few years he's worked at getting better at pitch framing. RR loved the guy and pushed for the Sox to get him. Hahn said he tried to sign him last year.

Add in the 20 home runs and this is a solid signing in my opinion.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Seems like a no-brainer to me at those dollars and length.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:33 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

I honestly don't care that he's a good hitting catcher. I don't care that he's average at best defensively but can throw guys out. The only thing I care about is how he is as a game caller to help the young pitchers. What has me worried is how just terrible Baltimore's pitching was last year. How much of that was the pitchers and how much of that was Castillo?

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
I honestly don't care that he's a good hitting catcher. I don't care that he's average at best defensively but can throw guys out. The only thing I care about is how he is as a game caller to help the young pitchers. What has me worried is how just terrible Baltimore's pitching was last year. How much of that was the pitchers and how much of that was Castillo?
Considering the O's rotation was a trash heap, I'd say the vast majority of it was the pitchers just not being good.

Their bullpen wasn't that bad, though...and you figure Castillo was handling them just the same as the starters.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: Hopefully around the beginning of May
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)
Old 12-01-2017, 06:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I dont see the need to spend 15mm on a catcher for the next two years.
Amen.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004