White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2017, 04:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
That's unlikely what Abreu would fetch. Likely 2 top 100 guys or 1 top 100 and a team's other top 10 guy.

Abreu only has 2 years control and is a first baseman, with a few decent FA's at the same position available for no prospects.

Likely has more value to the Sox, especially if we extend him.
If that is all we would get, then I would much rather keep him. But then I’m a quality over quantity guy, even in this context. Regardless, that’s not a “blow me away” package for Abreu.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 11-29-2017, 04:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc
If that is all we would get, then I would much rather keep him. But then I’m a quality over quantity guy, even in this context. Regardless, that’s not a “blow me away” package for Abreu.
I would define “blow me away” as any offer that provides a tangible boost to the odds of fielding a legitimate World Series contender in 2020-2021.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
This very well may be the plan: extend one, trade the other.
Please do not extend Avi. I still think a middling-power, poor-fielding, high-BABIP corner OF is not a great asset.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 11-29-2017, 04:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42
Please do not extend Avi. I still think a middling-power, poor-fielding, high-BABIP corner OF is not a great asset.
I wouldn’t necessarily call his power “middling.” Avi’s exit velocities have always been really good, and I see a correction coming soon to the situation we currently see, where a guy like Yolmer Sanchez is flirting with a double-digit annual home run total.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I would define “blow me away” as any offer that provides a tangible boost to the odds of fielding a legitimate World Series contender in 2020-2021.
I want an “I can’t believe they got that for Abreu!” offer before I pull the trigger. Otherwise, I’d rather keep him.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I want an “I can’t believe they got that for Abreu!” offer before I pull the trigger. Otherwise, I’d rather keep him.
To what end? Two highly-paid salaries in non-competitive seasons, all for the sake of serving a mentor role?

Just because we ripped off the Nationals for Eaton and the Cubs for Q doesn’t mean we have to rip off opposing GMs in every single trade we make. Getting someone like Jay Groome in the fold is something that a rebuilding team should do if given the chance.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
To what end? Two highly-paid salaries in non-competitive seasons, all for the sake of serving a mentor role?

Just because we ripped off the Nationals for Eaton and the Cubs for Q doesn’t mean we have to rip off opposing GMs in every single trade we make. Getting someone like Jay Groome in the fold is something that a rebuilding team should do if given the chance.
Great point. A team not built to win now doesn’t need a guy under contract for only two more seasons
Old 11-29-2017, 07:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I would rather not trade him to begin with, so if I’m making the decision, an extraordinary offer is what it is going to take. I’m not assuming that we can’t re-sign him two years from now.

Boston doesn’t seem to have enough without a 3rd team being involved. I don’t see anything wrong with having a veteran player who is highly-respected among teammates and is among the best at his position on a rebuilding team if there are no ready-for-prime time players coming back in a trade. I recognize that the current trading environment means accepting more risk than in the past, but I highly value Abreu’s professional play and clubhouse presence. I think the younger guys will develop better with him around than without him. So yes, blow me away. Otherwise, see ya next time.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I’m not assuming that we can’t re-sign him two years from now.
Be that as it may, he is only guaranteed to be here for two more years, both of which figure to be years where the player makes nearly $20 million and the team finishes out of playoff contention.

Option A is to keep the player in the hopes that he stays healthy and productive, re-signs when his contract expires, and stays healthy and productive during the life of his new contract.

Option B is to trade the player for young, cost-controlled talent that may (or may not) help the team in future years.

Both options carry risks, but with this team’s competitive window looking like it will fall entirely outside Abreu’s two years of guaranteed team control, I think option B is the better bet for the franchise’s long-term outlook.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:43 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I don't really like the idea of trading Abreu, since he's not really blocking any outstanding prospects, and he's obviously a mentor to Moncada and eventually Robert.

However, opening first base opens opportunities for the club to give 2018 at-bats at first base to Gillaspie, Delmonico, and even Davidson (who does not excite me at all, but the team may still want to evaluate him further).
My thoughts exactly.

Palka's going to get a look at first, too. The Sox may use Delmonico in a platoon there.

If we trade Abreu, please let it be to the Cards for Carson Kelly (and a lotto ticket or two). I don't think the Rox or Houston would trade the players I'd want, and I don't think we match up with Boston at all.

BTW - Seby Zavala might be attractive to the Cards as a good-hitting catcher who's a couple years away. Deal could expand into Abreu + Zavala for Kelly and much better extra pieces.

Last edited by A. Cavatica; 11-29-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:22 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Be that as it may, he is only guaranteed to be here for two more years, both of which figure to be years where the player makes nearly $20 million and the team finishes out of playoff contention.

Option A is to keep the player in the hopes that he stays healthy and productive, re-signs when his contract expires, and stays healthy and productive during the life of his new contract.

Option B is to trade the player for young, cost-controlled talent that may (or may not) help the team in future years.

Both options carry risks, but with this team’s competitive window looking like it will fall entirely outside Abreu’s two years of guaranteed team control, I think option B is the better bet for the franchise’s long-term outlook.
Extending him this offseason is the best course of action in my opinion. If we wait till he is a free agent, he will command an additional 4-5 year deal for sure as a 33 year old. We could possibly get away with only adding an additional 3 seasons by overpaying him in the first few years of an extension this offseason. Give him a front loaded 5 year deal now because we don't have much in salary obligations currently. Do this now while he is admittedly happy and comfortable, also seeing the tangible future of the Sox come into focus.

As you said, having him for 2 more years only to let him go, makes no sense in our current rebuilding situation. Could get some nice pieces for him if we choose that he won't be a part of the future. Not really enamored by Jay Groome being a headliner coming back though. He has an injury history and wasn't great last year either. Way too much of a risk for the main piece in a deal.

I do think that Hahn is at least finding out the value of him in the event Abreu doesn't agree to an extension, and then he has a better idea of what he can get for him if he is traded at the deadline. This trade talk also might push Abreu into signing an extension if he really wants to stay.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Is there some pressure to deal Abreu in the short term? Meaning the time between right now and spring training?

Quote:

I'd hold off on the "rip off" the GM of our favorite team exacted at the expense of other GMs until all the facts are in.

As for me I want our GM to get the better of every other GM out there when making deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Great point. A team not built to win now doesn’t need a guy under contract for only two more seasons
I agree but if there is pressure to deal this guy between December 2017 and March 2018 I'd like to know why.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 11-30-2017, 07:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
I agree but if there is pressure to deal this guy between December 2017 and March 2018 I'd like to know why.
I haven't read nor has anyone shared here any reason why there would be pressure to move Abreu or any deadline or timeframe.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I haven't read nor has anyone shared here any reason why there would be pressure to move Abreu or any deadline or timeframe.
Right. Personally, I think he is just like Quintana in that there is no real reason to trade him at all. Blow me away with an offer and I'll do a deal but otherwise I'm just as happy having him as the leader of my team, mentoring the young guys, and signing him to an extension into our coming competitive years.

Avi on the other hand, I think there is some pressure to do a deal now when he's coming off his best season ever and in need of a contract extension that might be risky if he is not for real. The reality of Abreu is not in doubt.

If we trade Abreu then we should definitely trade Avi and maximize prospect value in the system. If we trade Avi we still don't necessarily have to trade Abreu.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:08 AM
WSI Regular

Exactly. Unless someone comes along and absolutely blows Hahn away with an offer, keep him.