White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2017, 01:25 PM
WSI Prelate

I don't really like the idea of trading Abreu, since he's not really blocking any outstanding prospects, and he's obviously a mentor to Moncada and eventually Robert.

However, opening first base opens opportunities for the club to give 2018 at-bats at first base to Gillaspie, Delmonico, and even Davidson (who does not excite me at all, but the team may still want to evaluate him further).
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I don't really like the idea of trading Abreu, since he's not really blocking any outstanding prospects, and he's obviously a mentor to Moncada and eventually Robert.

However, opening first base opens opportunities for the club to give 2018 at-bats at first base to Gillaspie, Delmonico, and even Davidson (who does not excite me at all, but the team may still want to evaluate him further).
Good point. In the immediate future, it does open up some room for prospects. Long term, it gives an opening for Burger/ Sheets/ Collins (if Collins doesn't develop into a catcher).

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple
The thing with Bradley is that I am not sure where he fits. As a stop gap? Okay, fine, but he won't win with us. By the time we're ready to do that, he will need to be phased out. Unless Roberts doesn't develop. Which is possible, of course.
I assume Bradley would be dealt as soon as the opportunity presented itself. I assume the ultimate goal is still leveraging maximum prospect value for Abreu, but this process does it over the course of two moves.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:35 PM
WSI Prelate

In addition, if Abreu is dealt, it also makes sense to explore trading Garcia, since it's tacitly ruling out the possibility that the team might have a chance to play .500 ball and maybe even be a darkhorse contender for the second wild card spot in 2019.

I don't think any of us have ever expected 2019 to be the beginning of the opening of the competitive window, but I think based on the early returns and success of our prospects in 2017, some of us may have begun to entertain the possibility of the Sox having an outside shot playing above .500 in 2019.

Anyway, if we deal Abreu, I think we all need to adjust our expectations for 2018, from perhaps a 70-win team, to perhaps a 60-win team, designed to secure one more really high pick (and larger draft bonus pool allocation) in the 2019 draft. And thus our 2019 expectations also need to be adjusted accordingly.

And really, our expectations for 2020 and beyond would vary significantly based on who we'd get in return for Abreu.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Moncada just posted an extremely cryptic instagram post. Sounds like he is getting ready to say bye or is telling the organization not to trade him.

Also, is there a way for the Red Sox to give us money or give us entry into signing Othani?
For those of us who cannot access Twitter at work, could you post the tweet here?

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 11-29-2017, 01:42 PM
WSI Prelate

It seems to me that Abreu's trade value ought to be somewhat less than Sale, Eaton, or Quintana, higher than Kahnle.

I think we'd need a package that looked something like a Top 10-15 prospect OR two Top 40 prospects.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
For those of us who cannot access Twitter at work, could you post the tweet here?
He posted a picture of him and Abreu on Instagram.
The caption reads:

Feliz de jugar al lado de Abreu
nuevamente, siempre a sido un ejemplo para mi y en verdad le agredesco mucho todo lo que ha hecho por mi @whitesox

Happy to play alongside Abreu
again, he has always been an example for me and I honestly thank him
a lot for everything he has done for me @whitesox
Old 11-29-2017, 01:46 PM
WSI Guru

I don't see a fit. At least not for the White Sox. The Red Sox already traded the crown jewels for Sale. What do they have to offer? What would be the motivation to move Abreu for Bradley Jr.? I don't get it.

I'm sure the Red Sox want Abreu -- as well they should. I'm sure the Boston cheerleaders in the press want Abreu on the Red Sox. But that doesn't mean the team has a package of players to offer the White Sox that Hahn would want.

Maybe there's a third team involved.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 11-29-2017, 02:00 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

I would think a 3 way with bradley abreu and another team is the way it would play out. Bradley seems to be a wanted commodity with contenders and teams that are willing to spend.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
It seems to me that Abreu's trade value ought to be somewhat less than Sale, Eaton, or Quintana, higher than Kahnle.

I think we'd need a package that looked something like a Top 10-15 prospect OR two Top 40 prospects.

That's unlikely what Abreu would fetch. Likely 2 top 100 guys or 1 top 100 and a team's other top 10 guy.

Abreu only has 2 years control and is a first baseman, with a few decent FA's at the same position available for no prospects.

Likely has more value to the Sox, especially if we extend him.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Is there any scenario where we pull a three team trade sending both Abreu and Avi our to separate teams, but maximizing return?

Obviously, the Red Sox alone wonít net us great profits, but give us Bradley and then have another team send out some high end prospects.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:20 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

If Abreu is traded, I cant see the Sox keeping Avi unless hes extended.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I don't see a fit. At least not for the White Sox. The Red Sox already traded the crown jewels for Sale. What do they have to offer? What would be the motivation to move Abreu for Bradley Jr.? I don't get it.

I'm sure the Red Sox want Abreu -- as well they should. I'm sure the Boston cheerleaders in the press want Abreu on the Red Sox. But that doesn't mean the team has a package of players to offer the White Sox that Hahn would want.

Maybe there's a third team involved.
Yeah, I'm with you on that. I just don't see a fit. The thing that worries me is the talk of the Sox being interested in Bradley. I don't see what Bradley really does for us and he would be the majority of the return for Abreu. I don't want to see Abreu go at all but if he does go I want to see a prospect haul in return otherwise it doesn't make sense to me.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
That's unlikely what Abreu would fetch. Likely 2 top 100 guys or 1 top 100 and a team's other top 10 guy.

Abreu only has 2 years control and is a first baseman, with a few decent FA's at the same position available for no prospects.

Likely has more value to the Sox, especially if we extend him.
Great post. Need to look at the whole picture.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 11-29-2017, 03:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck
If Abreu is traded, I cant see the Sox keeping Avi unless hes extended.
This very well may be the plan: extend one, trade the other.

Abreu comes with only two years of team control, and those years are not cheap. He will make nearly $40 million for those two years. That is not getting you a top-ten prospect. If something like Bradley+Groome+another halfway decent piece is the best offer, then you take it. Then, you turn around and deal Bradley Jr. to a team that loses out on acquiring Lorenzo Cain. Worst-case scenario, you trade Bradley Jr. in July.