White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2017, 11:21 AM
WSI Regular

Default Free agent and trade rumors

"Inquiring" about Jackie Bradley Jr. ?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...immermann.html

He'd be a great contributor to have playing center field, but at what cost? Boston will some good prospects for him, so I'm doubting this ever occurs. Unless Hahn can fleece them (doubt it).
Old 11-27-2017, 12:30 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

The Sox have no one that could get Bradley except prospects that they got last year and that wont happen.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sorry guys, I can't provide links because I'm at work here.

I've read that the A's are interested Avisail Garcia.

I also read *one* rumor that the Brewers may be interested in Yolmer Sanchez.

Finally, I've seen that multiple teams are kicking the tires on Abreu. These teams are, in no particular order: Red Sox, Rockies, Cardinals, Brewers, and Giants.

Take all this with a huge grain of salt of course, but it's obvious to me that Abreu's market is much bigger than Garcia's.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 11-27-2017, 01:16 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Sorry guys, I can't provide links because I'm at work here.

I've read that the A's are interested Avisail Garcia.

I also read *one* rumor that the Brewers may be interested in Yolmer Sanchez.

Finally, I've seen that multiple teams are kicking the tires on Abreu. These teams are, in no particular order: Red Sox, Rockies, Cardinals, Brewers, and Giants.

Take all this with a huge grain of salt of course, but it's obvious to me that Abreu's market is much bigger than Garcia's.

I'd like to keep Sanchez actually as insurance in case Anderson doesn't work out. We have zero depth at SS in our system currently.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
I'd like to keep Sanchez actually as insurance in case Anderson doesn't work out. We have zero depth at SS in our system currently.

Sanchez has had one good season in the majors (2017). One. He played really well last season. Going into last season he was behind Tyler Saladino for the super utility role. He's a nice piece, but if you can get a good prospect for him, you do it. The likelihood of Sanchez ever being a better player than Anderson is slim. Sanchez is just not a long-term solution at any single position.

272-235.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:45 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
The likelihood of Sanchez ever being a better player than Anderson is slim.
Well, Sanchez was a better player last season. Of course he's tradeable, but so is Anderson if you get a good offer.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Why would we want a short-term player like Jackie Bradley Jr.? He comes with only three years of team control, and with Boras as his agent, I doubt he signs any type of extension that buys out any free agent years.

Boston would have to be selling low on Bradley for this to be worthwhile, and I don’t see why they would do that.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:10 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
I wouldnt worry about Yolmer being our SS depth... if theres a good deal you take it, and sign SS depth. Theres always Jed Lowrie-types out there. Besides theres a decent shot we draft a SS in the 1st.

You gotta figure Anderson is our SS until he proves hes not. At which point you use FA or trade.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Well, Sanchez was a better player last season. Of course he's tradeable, but so is Anderson if you get a good offer.
Likely true over one sixty-two.

When at their best last season Anderson was the better player by a more than a few furlongs.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 11-28-2017, 08:17 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
When at their best last season Anderson was the better player by a more than a few furlongs.
And when you don't cherry-pick, and look at their entire bodies of work, Sanchez was the better player.

I agree Anderson has more upside, but for a big chunk of the season he was awful. Let's hope it was a sophomore slump, but I wouldn't trade Sanchez without a backup plan.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:08 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
And when you don't cherry-pick, and look at their entire bodies of work, Sanchez was the better player.

I agree Anderson has more upside, but for a big chunk of the season he was awful. Let's hope it was a sophomore slump, but I wouldn't trade Sanchez without a backup plan.
It wasn’t just a sophomore slump for Anderson. It was a “best friend was killed unexpectedly and violently, and couldn’t sleep for months until getting some serious professional counseling” slump.

Anderson still needs to prove himself on the field, but it wasn’t just a run-of-the-mill sophomore slump; once he got some counseling and some regular rest his focus returned and he had a strong August and September.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:58 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
It wasn’t just a sophomore slump for Anderson. It was a “best friend was killed unexpectedly and violently, and couldn’t sleep for months until getting some serious professional counseling” slump.

Anderson still needs to prove himself on the field, but it wasn’t just a run-of-the-mill sophomore slump; once he got some counseling and some regular rest his focus returned and he had a strong August and September.
Yeah he was grieving massive for the entire season but in particular the first 4 months. It was reported he started grief therapy in August and that's exactly when he took off offensively.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 11-29-2017, 10:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
"Inquiring" about Jackie Bradley Jr. ?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...immermann.html

He'd be a great contributor to have playing center field, but at what cost? Boston will some good prospects for him, so I'm doubting this ever occurs. Unless Hahn can fleece them (doubt it).
Jackie Bradley Jr makes little sense to me. Yes, he is a good player and yes, the Sox are weak in CF. Yes, he bats left-handed which the Sox could use but he is neither a lead-off hitter or a (lefty) clean-up hitter which are what the Sox are lacking in their prospects.

In theory, Luis Robert is expected to step in the CF role in a year or two. Eloy Jiminez will play one of the corners. That leaves one OF spot. Both Robert and Jiminez bat right-handed. Both are projected to be power hitters. Add in Abreu and the Sox could conceivably have three righties batting 3,4, and 5. Not the end of the world but it would be nice to be able to break it up with a power hitting lefty. Delmonico looks promising but I don't think he fits in the middle of those three. Collins might but he needs to hit for more average and he is a catcher which means he'll be more prone to injury and out of the line-up resting more. I'd rather a power hitting lefty in the OF, at 3B, or DH/1B. Maybe Sheets can fill that roll but that remains to be seen.

Similarly, there are no lead-off hitters in the Sox prospects. Moncada is the best choice for that role and I'd rather he bat 2nd or 3rd. Again, not the end of the world if he bats lead-off but if there are roles to be filled it is lead-off hitter and a lefty run producer to mix in with Jiminez, Robert, and Abreu. Bradley fits neither of those roles.

With all that in mind the guy on the free agent market this year or next that has caught my interest is Mike Moustakas. Normally I wouldn't advocate going after an expensive free agent this year but this is the year he is available and as big as the free agent field is the next year no one really fits the same needs the Sox have as he does. He plays a position (3B) not yet filled on the Sox. This is not meant as disbelief in Jake Burger but Burger is a unproven righty and Moose is a proven lefty. You could slot him in there batting 4th or 5th breaking up the three righties of Abreu, Jiminez, and Robert. It would make for a pretty powerful middle of the order.

So despite my previous comments that the Sox shouldn't go after any big name players this year, this is the one guy that I think maybe they should.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:36 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Yeah he was grieving massive for the entire season but in particular the first 4 months. It was reported he started grief therapy in August and that's exactly when he took off offensively.
It was reported that he was so grief stricken that he couldn’t sleep.

Chronic lack of sleep explains why he looked lost at the plate, on the bases, and in the field.

Once he got counseling and started to sleep again, his concentration improved and he was able to run and field and hit like he showed as a rookie.

Pitchers may yet find and exploit holes in his swing, and he still needs to be more selective at the plate, but based on his rookie season and August/September 2017, he easily could be a 3.0 WAR player this year.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

As for the possibility of trading Yolmer, Avi,or Abreu, I think all the veteran players should be on the market if the price is right. That includes Abreu who I really don't think they should trade and really don't want them to trade.

I don't think Anderson should be traded unless it (or some other deal) brings back a markedly better SS prospect ready to go. I count Anderson among the prospects still.