White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-14-2017, 06:50 PM
PaleHoser PaleHoser is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,260
Default RIP "Jungle Jim" Rivera

Link

My condolences to his family.
__________________
"It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-14-2017, 08:45 PM
chisox59 chisox59 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Castle Rock, Colorado
Posts: 128
Post

Wow. So soon after the passing of Jim Landis we lose the right fielder of our 1959 champs. I remember the back to the plate catch in game 5 of the '59 series but most of all I'll remember your all out hustle whenever you played. You may not have had the most talent but your desire was next to none. Thanks for posing in the shorts back in 1976....it gave me a laugh and it looked like you were having a good time. RIP #7.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-14-2017, 09:16 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 31,419
Default

He was absolutely one of a kind:

April 10, 1961 –Sox outfielder “Jungle” Jim Rivera was always good for the unexpected. Right before the Sox played in Washington to open the season, President John Kennedy threw out the first ball. Rivera came up with it and was escorted to the President’s box where both he and vice president Lyndon Johnson signed the ball.

After Rivera looked at it he said to the President, “You’ll have to do better than that John. This is a scribble I can hardly read!” So Kennedy in block letters spelled out his name on the baseball. Oh… the Sox went on to win the game 4-3 getting single runs in the seventh and eighth innings. It was the first game the ‘new’ Washington Senators ever played.

April 22, 1955 – It was the first time the White Sox ever played in Kansas City and outfielder “Jungle” Jim Rivera would make it a memorable night. Rivera’s home run helped the Sox beat the A’s 5-3 but it was his comment afterwards to former first lady Bess Truman that made the most news. She attended the game and then when introduced, Rivera said, “I’m sure sorry my home run beat your club but it was a helluva wallop eh, Bess?”

R.I.P. to a guy who played the game hard...VERY hard.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-14-2017, 11:15 PM
Maximo Maximo is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dowagiac,Michigan
Posts: 770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
He was absolutely one of a kind:

April 10, 1961 –Sox outfielder “Jungle” Jim Rivera was always good for the unexpected. Right before the Sox played in Washington to open the season, President John Kennedy threw out the first ball. Rivera came up with it and was escorted to the President’s box where both he and vice president Lyndon Johnson signed the ball.

After Rivera looked at it he said to the President, “You’ll have to do better than that John. This is a scribble I can hardly read!” So Kennedy in block letters spelled out his name on the baseball. Oh… the Sox went on to win the game 4-3 getting single runs in the seventh and eighth innings. It was the first game the ‘new’ Washington Senators ever played.

April 22, 1955 – It was the first time the White Sox ever played in Kansas City and outfielder “Jungle” Jim Rivera would make it a memorable night. Rivera’s home run helped the Sox beat the A’s 5-3 but it was his comment afterwards to former first lady Bess Truman that made the most news. She attended the game and then when introduced, Rivera said, “I’m sure sorry my home run beat your club but it was a helluva wallop eh, Bess?”

R.I.P. to a guy who played the game hard...VERY hard.
I remember listening to the broadcast of that game. It was one of those where the radio guys ...Bob Elson and Don Wells???......announced the game from a studio, getting the info from a ticker tape machine and then reading it over the air. They would then pipe in sound effects of "crowd noise" to make it appear they were actually in a press box at the stadium.

RIP "Jungle Jim".
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2017, 11:49 PM
MinnieMinoso MinnieMinoso is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Salem, Wi.
Posts: 76
Default

Some of my memories of Jungle Jim. My Dad and I were at a game when Piersall was playing center for the Indians. The Sox had a runner steal second on a close play and he was called safe. Piersall comes running in from center field and starts arguing with the second base ump who immediately throws Piersal out of the game. Jimmy does his usual kicking dirt and yelling for about five minutes. We were sitting down the first base line in the upper deck and could see into the Sox dugout. Piersall finally starts to go to the runway in the Sox dugout and Rivera pretends like he is afraid of Jimmy and runs to the end of the bench. This infuriated Piersal even more and he starts throwing garbage cans out on the field and Rivera and the players are laughing up a storm.
Another time I was at a game and Rivera and Landis are warming up by third base with some soft tosses. Some loudmouth fan goes down and begins shouting something and Rivera pokes Landis and the two of them start laughing and it only mad the fan madder and they got a kick out of egging him on.
I am paraphrasing but I recall Paul Richards saying Jim Rivera was one of the few ballplayers he would not mind paying to see play. I miss that whole team of the 1950's and they still are my favorite of all time. He was a big part of the "Go Go Sox".
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-15-2017, 12:27 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 31,419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I remember listening to the broadcast of that game. It was one of those where the radio guys ...Bob Elson and Don Wells???......announced the game from a studio, getting the info from a ticker tape machine and then reading it over the air. They would then pipe in sound effects of "crowd noise" to make it appear they were actually in a press box at the stadium.

RIP "Jungle Jim".
It was Don Wells in 1953 (Wells became the first voice of the L.A.Angels) but I don't think they were doing studio recreations then because in 1953 the Sox were on WCFL.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-15-2017, 12:30 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 31,419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMinoso View Post
Some of my memories of Jungle Jim. My Dad and I were at a game when Piersall was playing center for the Indians. The Sox had a runner steal second on a close play and he was called safe. Piersall comes running in from center field and starts arguing with the second base ump who immediately throws Piersal out of the game. Jimmy does his usual kicking dirt and yelling for about five minutes. We were sitting down the first base line in the upper deck and could see into the Sox dugout. Piersall finally starts to go to the runway in the Sox dugout and Rivera pretends like he is afraid of Jimmy and runs to the end of the bench. This infuriated Piersal even more and he starts throwing garbage cans out on the field and Rivera and the players are laughing up a storm.
Could this be the game you are talking about?

May 30, 1960 - Outfielder Jimmy Piersall, who would become a Sox announcer in the 1970's and early 1980's, went on a rampage against the scoreboard and Comiskey Park.

Piersall started by throwing the contents of the Cleveland dugout on to the field after he felt a bad call was made by the home plate umpire who threw him out of the game. He then went into the Sox dugout, grabbed a bucket of groundskeeper Gene Bossard’s sand and dumped that on the field. Piersall then didn’t move when a ball hit by “Minnie” Minoso came right at him. It went over his head for a double and adding insult to injury, the Sox thought it was a home run and set off the scoreboard! Finally Piersall took a ball and threw it at the scoreboard which he hated at the end of the game. All in a day’s work, as Cleveland took a twin bill.

And from my interview with Jimmy:

“In that first game umpire Larry Napp was calling strikes on pitches that were outside and I said something about it so he ran me. The problem was I wasn’t talking to Napp. I started tossing stuff on to the field for like 10 minutes, I went into the Sox dugout and Jim Rivera was the one who kept handing me stuff to toss!

I was back for the second game and on the final play I got hit in the head by an orange so I took the ball and just heaved it at the scoreboard as hard as I could. Remember in those days when the fireworks went off you had a lot of debris come down. I got hit two or three times that day with stuff. The next day I saw where Veeck wasn’t happy about that.”
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-15-2017, 01:22 AM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 7,198
Default

He was my foursome's celebrity 5th in a golf charity outing not that long ago. Even at age 90, he still had short game skills. Piercing light blue eyes too. RIP. Had himself a life.
__________________
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-15-2017, 04:56 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 2,830
Default

Bravo Lip and thank you to all of you that shared these stories.
__________________
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-15-2017, 06:07 AM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 10,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMinoso View Post
Some of my memories of Jungle Jim. My Dad and I were at a game when Piersall was playing center for the Indians. The Sox had a runner steal second on a close play and he was called safe. Piersall comes running in from center field and starts arguing with the second base ump who immediately throws Piersal out of the game. Jimmy does his usual kicking dirt and yelling for about five minutes. We were sitting down the first base line in the upper deck and could see into the Sox dugout. Piersall finally starts to go to the runway in the Sox dugout and Rivera pretends like he is afraid of Jimmy and runs to the end of the bench. This infuriated Piersal even more and he starts throwing garbage cans out on the field and Rivera and the players are laughing up a storm.
Another time I was at a game and Rivera and Landis are warming up by third base with some soft tosses. Some loudmouth fan goes down and begins shouting something and Rivera pokes Landis and the two of them start laughing and it only mad the fan madder and they got a kick out of egging him on.
I am paraphrasing but I recall Paul Richards saying Jim Rivera was one of the few ballplayers he would not mind paying to see play. I miss that whole team of the 1950's and they still are my favorite of all time. He was a big part of the "Go Go Sox".
Minnie, I remember that game and also the game that Piersall had a hissy fit over the new exploding scoreboard in 1960.
__________________
Coming up to bat for our White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-15-2017, 06:14 AM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 10,069
Post

A favorite of mine from the GO-Go years. When I was working in the Pro-Shop at the Naples Beach Hotel and Golf Club and it was around 1998, Jungle Jim had a tee time and I checked him in and I told I grew up watching him and the rest of the Go Go Sox. We talked about 10 minutes or so and he was still mad that Lopez didn't give Billy Pierce a start in the 59 World Series, said he and most of the other guys on the team thought it was a big mistake to start Wynn in game 6 on short rest and they were right as the Dodgers jumped all over Wynn and won the game and the Series that day. Lopez to me was the best Sox manager ever but that was the only mistake he made that I remember while manager of the team.
He then says to me, I'll be right back, when he returned he brought back a autographed photo and gave it to me.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 11-15-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-15-2017, 06:19 AM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 10,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
It was Don Wells in 1953 (Wells became the first voice of the L.A.Angels) but I don't think they were doing studio recreations then because in 1953 the Sox were on WCFL.
What I remember is all the Sox games were live on the radio, the studio games were on afternoon days that the Sox had the day off, seems like it was mostly Indians or Tigers games.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 11-15-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-15-2017, 10:01 AM
MinnieMinoso MinnieMinoso is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Salem, Wi.
Posts: 76
Default

They did do studio recreations Little Nell, but it was in the 1940's. It was Bob Elson alone in those days. They were awful to listen to and the canned crowd noise got on my nerves even as a kid. I'm pretty sure Grace Comiskey was running things then and everything was low budget. The team was bad and things were tight. Elson was not paid to travel with the team so it was all on tickertape. I'm not sure what year they finally had him travel with the team and broadcast live, but I was one happy camper then.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-15-2017, 12:11 PM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 7,198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisox59 View Post
Wow. So soon after the passing of Jim Landis we lose the right fielder of our 1959 champs. I remember the back to the plate catch in game 5 of the '59 series but most of all I'll remember your all out hustle whenever you played. You may not have had the most talent but your desire was next to none. Thanks for posing in the shorts back in 1976....it gave me a laugh and it looked like you were having a good time. RIP #7.
Did'ya know that Jim McAnany played more games in RF than Rivera in 1959? Jim did play quite a few in LF, though.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-15-2017, 12:44 PM
geofitz geofitz is offline
2013 Preseason Prediction Contest Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boca Raton, FL.
Posts: 188
Default

RIP. Jungle Jim. I will not forget the '59 team and what it accomplished. Their radio network reached into South Florida that year and I listened to many games.
__________________
2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Champ (So Fla Sun Sox)
2011 WSI Football League Champ (Barefoot Mailman)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.