White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2017, 09:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

So much Nationals stupid in this game, and they STILL scored 8 runs, and were one hit away from beating the Cubs.

-Weiters is awful. Can't hit. The dropped third strike, then the incredibly idiotic decision to still try and throw out the runner from the backstop, when the runner was already only a couple steps away from 1st.

-Werth had a better game at the plate, even though he should not be hitting #2, but that horrible miss of the flyball...just horrible. Ron Darling was sort of excusing it, saying he lost it in the lights. Didn't look like it to me, he just plain missed the ball.

-The aforementioned Adam Lind, swinging at the first pitch he sees after Davis walks the first two batters ahead of him, and looking like he was starting to lose control. That was a HUGE break for Davis. And he still gave up two more hits and a run after that !

-That 5th inning, where do you begin but to say after getting the first two outs, then that infield single to Contreras, you have weak hitting Zobrist down 1-2. You gotta strike his ass out, go after him. Instead, Scherzer seemed to nibble a bit the next couple pitches, a ball and a foul, before Zobrist dumps the next pitch into the shallow outfield.

-Lobotan, you're down a run, 2 outs, 8th inning You're on first, guy is ahead of you on 2nd, and you get your ass picked off ? By the catcher ? What the hell was he doing ?
Old 10-13-2017, 10:38 AM
WSI Prelate

Werth plays and hits second all five games.

Roark doesn't even throw a pitch in Game 5, even when Scherzer is getting rocked.

That pretty much explains the series.

In Dusty We Trusty.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-13-2017, 11:04 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
This loss was on many of the Nats, but Weiters is a huge culprit. The passed balls and wild pitches that scored 3 of the Cubs runs would not have happened with a competent back stop. Trying to back hand a 56 footer with a runner on 3rd led to a run, and the dropped 3rd strike getting through the wickets leading to two runs (even though Baez should have been out due to catcher interference). You have to drop down and smother the ball in both of those instances.
The ball should have been dead. Baez did not intentionally make contact with Wieters, but since contact was made the ball should have been ruled dead. No runs should have scored on that play. The umps got that wrong and Dusty should have known that and made an argument. Horrible call.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXPHILE View Post
So much Nationals stupid in this game, and they STILL scored 8 runs, and were one hit away from beating the Cubs.

-Weiters is awful. Can't hit. The dropped third strike, then the incredibly idiotic decision to still try and throw out the runner from the backstop, when the runner was already only a couple steps away from 1st.

-Werth had a better game at the plate, even though he should not be hitting #2, but that horrible miss of the flyball...just horrible. Ron Darling was sort of excusing it, saying he lost it in the lights. Didn't look like it to me, he just plain missed the ball.

-The aforementioned Adam Lind, swinging at the first pitch he sees after Davis walks the first two batters ahead of him, and looking like he was starting to lose control. That was a HUGE break for Davis. And he still gave up two more hits and a run after that !

-That 5th inning, where do you begin but to say after getting the first two outs, then that infield single to Contreras, you have weak hitting Zobrist down 1-2. You gotta strike his ass out, go after him. Instead, Scherzer seemed to nibble a bit the next couple pitches, a ball and a foul, before Zobrist dumps the next pitch into the shallow outfield.

-Lobotan, you're down a run, 2 outs, 8th inning You're on first, guy is ahead of you on 2nd, and you get your ass picked off ? By the catcher ? What the hell was he doing ?
He was more concerned with sliding to make that catch rather than just running and catching it on a fly.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
It sucks, but thats a good team. That is what a sustainable winner looks like, well, truth be told, both of those teams.

Playoffs can be a crapshoot, Washington easily could won that series. But getting there gives you a chance.
Right, and that's what we have to be aiming for. We haven't made consecutive playoffs because we have never had a sustainable model. It has always been the flash in the pan or add pieces here or there. Build from within, add when you have to, and win consistently.

When we start making the playoffs year after year, I will finally be happy with our direction.

granted, I would like to win a couple of rings in the process.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
From the Washington Post:

"Four straight Cubs reached base in unconventional ways, some known only to true baseball seam heads — an intentional walk, a strikeout with a passed ball (about which there was some controversy), catcher’s interference and a hit batsman. The website baseball-reference.com has 2.73 million half-innings in its database. None of them contain those four events — let alone from four consecutive hitters.The things that happened Thursday night, they haven’t happened in the history of baseball."
Really, it seems to me something like that has happened to the Sox over their history. I’ve seen some glorious meltdowns in my day.

BK59
Old 10-13-2017, 03:29 PM
WSI Guru

I'm getting sick of having more attention paid to the Cubs while I am at United Center watching a Blackhawks game. A Cub must've scored at the same time a Wild Player laid a huge hit on a Blackhawks player, because the crowd erupted. Lots of people are crowding the tunnels that have TVs. It's so sickening. If you care more about the Cubs, why not sell your Blackhawks ticket to people who will focus more on the hockey game?

I want this over in a week. I still have at least 1 more Hawks game (tomorrow) to put up with this.

States Visited: 38
Next Up: Minnesota in February to see a Blackhawks game
Old 10-13-2017, 03:48 PM
WSI Guru

The bait-and-switch I proposed yesterday of starting Roark and then going to Gonzalez in the second inning to screw up Maddon's platoon combinations probably wouldn't have worked, since Gonzalez pitched so poorly.

The other thing about this series that was key: The injury to Scherzer. Sure, he pitched effectively in Game 3, but he was removed prematurely -- perhaps because he was not 100 percent. I think, under normal circumstances, he's allowed to continue in that game and perhaps the Nationals win. Then he was awful on two days' rest last night. The game turned in that fifth inning. He had two outs, but that was an implosion thereafter.

Might have been a different series if both Scherzer and Strasburg had made two starts. Instead, they had to give Gio two starts, and last night wasn't the first time he's done poorly in a winner-take-all Game 5.

The Nationals remind me of what the Cubs used to be. Put them in a playoff series, and they'll find a way to lose it.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 10-13-2017, 05:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
I'm getting sick of having more attention paid to the Cubs while I am at United Center watching a Blackhawks game. A Cub must've scored at the same time a Wild Player laid a huge hit on a Blackhawks player, because the crowd erupted. Lots of people are crowding the tunnels that have TVs. It's so sickening. If you care more about the Cubs, why not sell your Blackhawks ticket to people who will focus more on the hockey game?

I want this over in a week. I still have at least 1 more Hawks game (tomorrow) to put up with this.
Would you have said the same in 2005?
Old 10-13-2017, 06:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post

Might have been a different series if both Scherzer and Strasburg had made two starts. Instead, they had to give Gio two starts, and last night wasn't the first time he's done poorly in a winner-take-all Game 5.

The Nationals remind me of what the Cubs used to be. Put them in a playoff series, and they'll find a way to lose it.
Agree on both of these points. It could have been a different series if Scherzer starts two games at full health. You have to ask yourself why was Max even pitching the final game of the regular season in the first place when there was nothing to play for? Most teams use their early clinching to rest up their ace pitchers for the postseason.

Also, the Nats had that "deer in headlights" look far too many times this postseason. They seemed to be waiting for something to go wrong and it did. The NL East is so terrible right now that I'm sure the Nats will get another crack at the NLDS next year but it will be interesting to see if they do anything to shake up the culture in that clubhouse. Other than Max Scherzer and Bryce Harper, they seem to be missing an edge to their game. They should hire Carl Everett as bench coach.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 10-13-2017, 08:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Dodgers seem to have that "it" factor this year but at this point I can't bet against the Cubs. They get it done time after time. Hardest baseball year ever. This nightmare just won't end.
"Time after time"?

They didn't win for what, one hundred and eight years?

All we saw was a terrible manager get out managed by a bad manager.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-13-2017, 09:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post

The Cubbies are the flavor of the month.

Most Cub fans don't even understand the game: to them it's a social event.

Hockey is like abstract algebra as such it is too difficult for the bandwagon Cubbie fan to appreciate.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:22 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Would you have said the same in 2005?
We wouldn’t have interfered with many Hawks games then, we never went more than 5 games into a series.

Go Sox!!!
Old 10-14-2017, 01:24 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
We wouldn’t have interfered with many Hawks games then, we never went more than 5 games into a series.
In 2005 the United Center was basically empty anyway wasn't it? Hawks were still pretty bad if I remember right.

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 10-14-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Corey Seager questionable for Game 1 NLCS start. Back tightness. Good grief.

https://www.truebluela.com/2017/10/1...rs-nlcs-game-1