Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2017, 12:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42
Alen Hanson non-tendered.
The glut of fringe middle infielders is starting to shrink. I would guess that Tyler Saladino would be next.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:43 PM
WSI Guru

Dumped flotsam and jetsam, guys who were dead weight. Good calls by the Sox...get rid of the trash.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

I'm wondering if this is a sign the Sox feel they need less filler at AAA. Would that be a sign that the prospects are on pace or moving faster than originally anticipated and will be playing at a higher level than we previously anticipated?

Am I reading too much into that?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 12-14-2017, 08:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Today is the Rule 5 draft. Stay tuned.....
https://www.mlb.com/news/2017-mlb-ru...ew/c-263198194
Old 12-14-2017, 10:01 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Today is the Rule 5 draft. Stay tuned.....
https://www.mlb.com/news/2017-mlb-ru...ew/c-263198194
White Sox take OF Carlos Tocci from the Phillies in the Major league portion of the Rule 5 draft and trade him to the Rangers for cash considerations and C Yermin Mercedes from the Orioles in Round 1 of the AAA phase while not losing anyone in the draft.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:02 AM
WSI Prelate

In the major league phase of the Rule 5 draft, the Sox selected OF Carlos Tocci from the Phillies and then traded him to Texas for cash.

In the minor league phase, the Sox have selected catcher Yermin Mercedes from the O's.

I don't see the Sox losing any players in the Rule 5 draft according to the list on the MLB site.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2017-mlb-ru...ts/c-263351580
Old 12-14-2017, 10:03 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
White Sox take OF Carlos Tocci from the Phillies in the Major league portion of the Rule 5 draft and trade him to the Rangers for cash considerations and C Yermin Mercedes from the Orioles in Round 1 of the AAA phase while not loosing anyone in the draft.
ah, you beat me to it.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I don't see the Sox losing any players in the Rule 5 draft according to the list on the MLB site.
Imagine that. I guess the front office might know a wee bit more about their organization than the commenters in the balcony.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 12-14-2017, 10:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Imagine that. I guess the front office might know a wee bit more about their organization than the commenters in the balcony.

277-241.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
White Sox take OF Carlos Tocci from the Phillies in the Major league portion of the Rule 5 draft and trade him to the Rangers for cash considerations and C Yermin Mercedes from the Orioles in Round 1 of the AAA phase while not loosing anyone in the draft.
What? Unpossible! This report is clearly erroneous since I was told on WSI that Jordan Guerrero, Tito Polo, and perhaps others were as good as GONE thanks to Rick Hahn's incompetence when it comes to the 40-man roster.

Oh well, time to bring up the Fernando Tatis trade again I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Yeah, I thought RH didn't even understand how the Rule 5 process works.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:13 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
In the major league phase of the Rule 5 draft, the Sox selected OF Carlos Tocci from the Phillies and then traded him to Texas for cash.
Question: what is the purpose of this type of move? I'm not passing judgement on the transaction....I don't know anything about Tocci. I'm just curious about why select a player that you just flip for cash?

Again, I'm not criticizing the move, I'm just curious as to why such a trade would take place.....as opposed to selecting someone they were interested in keeping in the organization.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:26 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Question: what is the purpose of this type of move? I'm not passing judgement on the transaction....I don't know anything about Tocci. I'm just curious about why select a player that you just flip for cash?

Again, I'm not criticizing the move, I'm just curious as to why such a trade would take place.....as opposed to selecting someone they were interested in keeping in the organization.
From the WhiteSox.com article
Quote:
General manager Rick Hahn mentioned two Rule 5 targets for the White Sox. One of those unnamed targets was taken prior to the White Sox pick, meaning either outfielder Victor Reyes or righties Julian Fernandez and Nick Burdi, The other White Sox target needs to undergo surgery in the coming days according to a standard e-mail disclosure Major League Baseball sent to all the clubs Wednesday evening.

"As a result we wound up trading the pick since both of the guys we targeted were not going to be available to us," Hahn said.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Probably the same reason the Phillies did it with Burdi one pick earlier. The Pirates contacted them and asked if they would select Burdi. The Pirates wanted him but knew the Sox would take him and he would not be available. So they asked the Phillies to pick him and made a deal with them. Assume that the Rangers wanted this guy and called around to find out who would be willing to take him with an early pick (perhaps they knew or suspected someone else ahead of them wanted him) and made an offer. Doesn't benefit the Sox a lot but doesn't cause any harm to take the money and create a little good feeling between a potential trade partner of the future.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Sounds like the Rangers wanted Tocci (and Sox didn't) and were afraid he would be off the board by the time their draft slot came up so they essentially paid the Sox to take Tocci for the Rangers (Sox had a higher pick in the draft than the Rangers). Just a guess.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77

My only guess is that our Rule 5 slot was much higher than the slot the Rangers had, and the Rangers didnít want to risk losing the player?