White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How Do You Rate the Rebuild Progress After One Complete Season?
Ahead of schedule! This has exceeded my expectations 63 54.31%
On Schedule - this is pretty much where I expected the Sox to be after 2017 46 39.66%
Thumbs Down - We're in for the long haul with mediocrity. 4 3.45%
No Opinion/Refuse to Answer Until 2020 2 1.72%
Churros! 1 0.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2017, 10:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default State of the Rebuild - One Season in the Books

Now that we've completed one season since Rick Hahn and Co. pulled the trigger on this massive rebuilding effort, what is your opinion on how the effort has progressed?

Personally, the Sox have far exceeded my expectations of where we'd be at this point. I wouldn't have imagined in my wildest expectations that we'd be sitting on such a boatload of talent right now and that we would finish 2017 going .500 over the last 44 games.

And yes, I know that many of the guys we acquired haven't proven anything yet. None of us has a crystal ball. This poll is meant to gauge people's opinions on how they think things are progressing so far. Of course lots could still go wrong and we can't proclaim this rebuild a success until 2019 at the very earliest.

Last edited by GoSox2K3; 10-02-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Yeah, far exceeded my expectations. It will still be a few years but we are way ahead of where I expected and the returns have been even better than I expected. I am very hopeful for the future.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Ahead of schedule, but we need to keep our young pitchers healthy.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 10-02-2017, 11:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Exceeded my expectations, but I still would like to see more middle IF depth and another drafted starter or two for insurance.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 10-02-2017, 12:00 PM
WSI High Priest

I voted "ahead of schedule"- the return for our "blue chip" trade chips was greater than I expected, mostly driven by the return for Eaton.

The development of in house prospects- like A. Garcia, L. Garcia, Y. Sanchez, Delmonico, etc. was better than expected.

2017 White Sox (Aug/Sept/Oct)- 26-33, .441 pct.
2016 White Sox (Aug/Sept/Oct)- 27-30, .474 pct.

2017 post trade deadline White Sox "2 GB" last year's version- with a much brighter future.

I'll take it.
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 10-02-2017, 12:14 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

I'd say they're on schedule. The rebuild actually gets harder from here because guys are going to have to build on their progress and the team is also going to have to deal with more struggles and bumps in the road.

Hopefully 2018 will be a bit better and we could be contending by 2019.

Go Sox!!!
Old 10-02-2017, 12:57 PM
WSI Prelate

I think a lot of this depends on Robert and his development. Out of all of the prospects we have, Robert has the potential to be an extremely incredible super star or a bust. He has plus capacity in most categories, but there is no definitive proof that he will pan out.

I am assured by Eloy, Moncada, and Abreu. They will make us a credible playoff threat. The development of one more superstar will make us world series contenders year to year.

We are ahead in my opinion, but the question of whether we have caught up will be answerd next year. After Eloy has played his first game in the majors.

We have also found ourselves in the enviable position of finding a glut in our rotation. Fulmer pitched well and so did Lopez/ Giolito. We weren't expecting them to pan out as starters. Especially with all of the arms waiting in the minors.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

This isn't related to the actual progress of amassing talented players, but another thing I'd like to mention is that rebuild so far and dispelled the long-held, oft-stated conventional wisdom that the Sox franchise could never initiate a rebuild because The Cell (now G.R.F.) would become a "ghost town" for years to come while the rebuild took place.

Attendance is down from the last few years, but it's really not appreciably worse than every other year since 2013. It probably won't rebound quite yet next year, but fans are definitely more interested in this team than they have been in years.

Please don't take this as a debate about whether Sox fans should support this team more or whether this team can ever draw at this location - all that stuff that's been debated ad nauseum.

I'm merely pointing out that the constant refrain that a rebuild would mean the Sox averaging 10k a night hasn't come to pass and I think we've already bottomed out on the quality of the product on the field and in terms of fan interest.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:21 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

If people are basing opinions on september I think they should think things over again. Most teams in september have either packed it in or are planning ahead for the post season. Ill have an opinion in june of next year if progress has been made.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
If people are basing opinions on september I think they should think things over again. Most teams in september have either packed it in or are planning ahead for the post season. Ill have an opinion in june of next year if progress has been made.
I agree in most cases, but we went through Kansas City, Los Angeles, Cleveland, and Houston in multiple series. This wasn't a throw away September.

Also, we were 22-22 in our last 44 or basically two months of play.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:40 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
I agree in most cases, but we went through Kansas City, Los Angeles, Cleveland, and Houston in multiple series. This wasn't a throw away September.

Also, we were 22-22 in our last 44 or basically two months of play.

KC and LAA were both on their last fumes, Clev and Hou were just playing for best record and halfheartedly.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
KC and LAA were both on their last fumes, Clev and Hou were just playing for best record and halfheartedly.
Fair enough. We will discuss the process in June like you said.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I understand your point- but these are still major leaguers, the contenders really value home field advantage, and the individual players are still pushing for personal goals, and setting the stage for either arbitration, free agency, etc.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

What does September have to do with anything and why would anyone evaluate the rebuild on one month in which neither draft nor trades happened?

We are far ahead in the rebuild process because all the major trades got done. More young talent was acquired than expected. That talent performed well in the minors and in the majors. There are legit prospects in the system for every position on a 25 man roster.

Oh, and yeah, some guys that are after thoughts in the rebuild process performed better than expected in Chicago resulting in us closing the season at at .500 over the last 40 something games. That's a nice bonus.

We are ahead of schedule. I don't see how there is any other way to view things even if you hate the idea of a rebuild.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I understand your point- but these are still major leaguers, the contenders really value home field advantage, and the individual players are still pushing for personal goals, and setting the stage for either arbitration, free agency, etc.
Another intangible that can't be ignored from September mentioned by Jason Benetti during one of the final broadcasts was the energy level and effort of the rebuilding White Sox. It far exceeded even teams that were still in contention like the Angels and Royals. Establishing that brand of baseball in year 1 of the rebuild is a very valuable thing and one that will serve them well when the talent level on the roster catches up. Renteria deserves some credit for making an imprint on the club in this regard.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin