Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2017, 03:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Game Plan for 2018?

So...I think this is the likely roster make up for 2018- in general, I don't see a need to go outside the organization for any position players, I think every position player in this version of the 25 man- is either part of the rebuild or an acceptable "transition" piece- with the debatable roles of Abreu and A. Garcia as discussed on these boards and as Hahn has discussed publicly in interviews (i.e. trade or keep as part of rebuild, I'm personally in the "keep" category for both).

Other than a veteran FA pitcher to provide some depth- and pending Rodon's shoulder issues- I think we're OK with the starting rotation with Kopech probably coming up and replacing Shields in the 2nd half.

I would like us to invest some money in a few bullpen arms- I think stabilizing the bullpen will go a long way in "teaching this team to win" vs. an entire season of blowing leads, and I also think in the right situation I'd even consider 2 year deals- so we have a few veteran bullpen arms in the mix for 2019 when another round of pitching prospects should be added. Not sure about Minaya in the closer role, but I don't think investing in a FA closer really makes sense.

Based on how this time has performed since the trade deadline- I think we have a chance to be a .500 team next year, we should have plenty of payroll to work with to make some prudent investments consistent with the rebuild strategy.

Pitching-Starters

1. Rodon
2. Lopez
3. Giolito
4. Fulmer/Veteran FA
5. Shields (Kopech- 2nd Half)

Pitching-Bullpen

6. Minaya- Closer
7. Jones
8. FA
9. FA
10. Bummer (L)
11. Holmberg (L)
12. Veteran FA- long man/spot starter)

Infield/DH

13. Abreu- 1B
14. Moncada- 2B
15. Anderson- SS
16. Sanchez- 3B
17. Davidson- Back Up 1B/3B/DH
18. L. Garcia- Utility IF/OF

Outfield/DH
19. A. Garcia- RF
20. Engel- CF
21. Delmonico- LF/1B/DH
22. W. Garcia/Kordell/Liriano- RH 4th OF
23. Hanson- IF/OF

Catcher

24. K. Smith
25. Narvaez
2005-2017 Record: 58-46
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 09-26-2017, 03:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

At this point, I wouldn't be any more comfortable penciling Nate Jones in on the roster than I would Rodon.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Why not sign a few FAs to 2-year deals, with the intent of flipping to a contender in July 2018?
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 09-26-2017, 04:06 PM
WSI High Priest

I agree with pretty much all of that. One thing I hope the Sox do bullpen-wise is try and replicate the Swarzak/Gonzalez experience and bring on some vets that Coop can fix and increase in value. I agree that there's value to having a bullpen to actually win some games and develop a culture of winning, but don't know that signing any bigname/expensive guys would be smart at this stage.

IMO this team will be somewhere within 5-8 games of .500 around the ASB and get a boost from the arrivals of Eloy/Kopech. At that point, they might, if things go right, push for a playoff spot.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
At this point, I wouldn't be any more comfortable penciling Nate Jones in on the roster than I would Rodon.
Good point- probably even more of a case for signing some help in the bullpen.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:28 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

The game plan is patience.

Let the kids progress on their own schedules. Make opportunistic trades and signings. And don't give out extensions too soon.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:44 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Absolutely correct.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Since the departures of Robertson and company, Infante has been pretty reliable. I would think he has an inside track on available seats in the bullpen in 2018.

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Absolutely correct.
The only pitchers we can pencil in for our rotation are Giolito, Lopez, and Shields. Rodon is too much of a question mark - vague, recurring shoulder soreness sounds like bad news. Fulmer was getting lit up out there and wasn't exactly doing terrific in AAA either until his 2 recent starts good starts against teams that have thrown in the towel and are gunning for that #1 overall pick. He's hardly proven himself ready and able to be in our rotation next year.

If we get a healthy season out of Nate Jones next year, I'd consider that a bonus. The Sox shouldn't count on him to be in the bullpen next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Since the departures of Robertson and company, Infante has been pretty reliable. I would think he has an inside track on available seats in the bullpen in 2018.
Agreed. I know Infante is already 30, but he's done well since the Sox gutted their bullpen. I'd think a spot in our bullpen is his to lose next spring.

White Sox Baseball 2011-2016*
Passion!
Pride!
Tradition!

*except for 3 months in mid 2012 and 5 weeks in early 2016
Old 09-27-2017, 12:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post

Let the kids progress on their own schedules. Make opportunistic trades and signings. And don't give out extensions too soon.
This X 1,000.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post

I completely agree- but I think a few experienced bullpen arms will contribute to the development process without putting any financial burden on the team- a few veterans to mentor the young bullpen arms, and avoid a young team consistently blowing leads in the late innings- so helping them "learn to win".

My proposal is not to "go for it" in 2018- but I don't think Abreu, A. Garcia, Shields and 22 prospects/young players is the way to go.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

I agree with signing a few 1-year veterans for the bullpen next year. It needs a complete overhaul but warm bodies that can pitch are necessary even in a rebuilding year currently we don't have any of those. Count me as not particularly impressed by Infante or Minaya. Stop-gaps at best. Ynoa pitched ok last year too.

I think a one year reclamation project along the lines of Holland for the rotation and 2-3 bullpen guys like Swarzak and Kahnle that can hopefully be magic in a bottle are required. If Jones, Putnam, and Petricka can come back and stay healthy then you might be ok in the bullpen. Fry and Bummer need more time at AAA so hopefully they sign a lefty and don't try to count on Holmberg who just isn't good enough for the majors.

Other than that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post

Infield/DH

13. Abreu- 1B
14. Moncada- 2B
15. Anderson- SS
16. Sanchez- 3B
17. Davidson- Back Up 1B/3B/DH
18. L. Garcia- Utility IF/OF

Outfield/DH
19. A. Garcia- RF
20. Engel- CF
21. Delmonico- LF/1B/DH
22. W. Garcia/Kordell/Liriano- RH 4th OF
23. Hanson- IF/OF

Catcher

24. K. Smith
25. Narvaez
I think Sanchez should play third but expect them to play Davidson. I think Davidson and Delmonico might make a decent DH platoon.

As much as I love Engel's glove he hasn't shown he can hit at the major league level at even a below average rate. I think the starting outfield is

RF-A.Garcia
CF-Cordell
LF-L.Garcia

Saladino, W. Garcia, and Hanson for versatile bench players. Count me as still unimpressed by Liriano.

Maybe a line-up of:

LF-L.Garcia
2B-Moncada
1B-Abreu
RF-A.Garcia
DH-Delmonico/Davidson
CF-Cordell
3B-Sanchez
C-Narvaez/Smith
SS-Anderson

And a rotation of:
1-Rodon (hopefully)
2-Giolito
3-Shields
4-Lopez
5-F.A. reclamation

With a bullpen of:
1-7:who the heck knows
Old 09-27-2017, 02:32 PM
WSI Guru

There isn't a single guy in the current bullpen that I would call a roster lock for next year. If Jones is healthy, he closes, but you can't count on him anymore.

I think Minaya, Bummer and Infante are all back because somebody has gotta pitch in relief next year, and it's not realistic to say you're going to find seven bullpen arms from outside of the organization. Honestly, I'm not impressed by any of those three guys, but I'm guessing they'll be here.

Other than that, yeah, maybe find a couple reclamation projects and find a couple veterans to sign on one-year deals. If it works out, you look to flip people in July. As we've seen, contending teams will pay a price for pitching at the trade deadline.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 09-27-2017, 05:08 PM
WSI High Priest

The plan for 2018: Git gud.
But also to sign one good reliever promising him the closer job, and 2 relievers on buy low deals, one starter on a buy low deal, and a centerfielder to compete with Engel. Jake Peter could be called up to shore up the infield.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Add a couple of veteran pitchers and basically go with what is out there now.
Maybe move Davidson or someone for pitching.