Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Default Schedule Analysis of the Draft Pick Race

It's really down to Philly, SF and the Sox for the top pick in the draft, though Cinci and Detroit are hanging around and even Oakland and the Mets are still marginally "in the hunt" if they get their losing freak on.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/standings/_/.../group/overall

My guess is it's SF's pick to lose.

Of the main three teams here is the remaining schedule - after today.

Sox have 4 against Detroit, 6 against KC and 3 against the Angels left, aside from series with Cleveland and Houston (only two playoff teams remaining)

Philly has series against Miami, Oakland, Atlanta and the Mets with only 7 games against playoff teams - Washington and the Dodgers.

Meanwhile...

The Giants go through a buzz saw remaining September schedule playing no one but the Dodgers, Arizona and Colorado until closing with a 3 spot against the Padres.

Now I know the Dodgers haven't been all that recently but that means they'll be fighting even harder for the wins and Arizona and Colorado are currently the two NL wildcards so will be fighting for every win.

It appears Seth Beer or whoever that top pick is is San Francisco's pick to lose, but with Rodon on the DL, stranger things have happened.

*Note: please do not turn this into a discussion of whether the Sox SHOULD be trying to lose or another diatribe about Sox Management failures over the last decade. Thank you in advance for not hijacking my thread with those talking points. I appreciate it.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Last edited by voodoochile; 09-10-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:27 AM
WSI High Priest

All I ask is that the pick not be used on a pitcher.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:21 AM
WSI Prelate

Top 3 is fine. And agree, NO PITCHER, please.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-10-2017, 11:29 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
All I ask is that the pick not be used on a pitcher.
I'd be quite skeptical of taking a high school pitcher that high, but if there's a can't-miss college starter who projects as an ace, particularly a southpaw, and he's the best player available, I'd take him.

If when we are on the clock there are two or more players with equal grades, then yes, we can draft the one who fills the greatest need.

I do agree that what we most lack at the moment (although it's gotten significantly better) is an impact hitter, particularly if he hits left-handed and has some speed. And at that point, I would prize the hit tool over the power tool; it would be nice if the next Tony Gwynn or Wade Boggs or Rickey Henderson or Jose Altuve was available.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

I agree with your assessment that the Giants appear to have the worst of it (best of it?) with the schedule. Sox and Phillies seem similar with the Phillies maybe having a slightly easier schedule. The Angels and Royals still have pretensions of being in the wild card hunt.

But I'm also not sure it matters. Obviously it is a season out still but at the moment there doesn't appear to be a consensus among available online rankings over who the top pick is. There seem to be about 5-6 guys that various websites rank in different orders with a few mentioning someone else among their top picks. It sounds like it is top heavy on hitters but that several are high school prospects. The good news is that the Sox can afford to take a high school prospect at this point and wait for them to develop. Though I agree completely with standard wisdom that you don't take a high school pitcher that high.

Things should clarify some as the next college/high school baseball season moves along but at the moment I'm not sure there will be that much difference between 1, 2, and 3.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:54 PM
WSI Village Atheist

No pitchers, no high-schoolers. Get the best college bat available.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

There's nothing wrong with high school position players. Lots and lots of great players drafted out of high school in the 1st round.

High school pitchers on the other hand are far too great a risk.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:41 PM
WSI Regular

Joshua Nelson of the South Side Sox podcast said 6 of the top 7 prospects are pitchers. Nothing wrong with stockpiling, developing, then trading surplus talent.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon44 View Post
Joshua Nelson of the South Side Sox podcast said 6 of the top 7 prospects are pitchers. Nothing wrong with stockpiling, developing, then trading surplus talent.
Too fragile a commodity these days.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon44 View Post
joshua nelson of the south side sox podcast said 6 of the top 7 prospects are pitchers. Nothing wrong with stockpiling, developing, then trading surplus talent.
+1
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 09-10-2017, 08:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

I would love to see the Sox draft Turang or Singer, in that order, so as long as they don't slip to 3 I'm happy. At least for me, those two are in the top tier above the rest.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:51 PM
WSI High Priest

The Phillies, Giants, and White Sox seem to have stuck to the 1, 2, and 3 worst records for a while now. My guess is that this is how they will finish up the season.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon44 View Post
That's unfortunate. Too high of a fail rate on pitchers to use a top 3 pick on one.
I say that as someone who hopes they use a lot of their other picks on pitching.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:48 PM
WSI's 2010 PTC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
My guess is it's SF's pick to lose.
In this context, do you mean it's SF's pick to win?
Old 09-10-2017, 11:41 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mostil View Post
In this context, do you mean it's SF's pick to win?
No if they win, they lose...