Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2017, 10:56 AM
WSI Guru

Default RH comments at season ticket holder meeting...

Thought this would be interesting. Read a summery from a season ticket holder of the comments RH gave before the game yesterday to that group. Take them for whatever they are worth to you:

"*It looks like RH will be listening intently on offers this winter for Abreu and Avi. Thinks their contract and age in Abreu 's case don't match up well with their window.

*A lady wanted him to fire Coop. Coop will be around as long as he wants, although he has had medical issues again this year. If he ever leaves Curt Hassler would take his place.

*He loves Engel but he has to hit... although Renteria doesn't care if he hits.

*Says they had the top position and pitching prospect last off season with Moncada and Giolito, thinks they could have the same this winter with Kopech and Eloy, and thinks they may have it next year with Hansen and Robert.

*He also said any thought of them not spending big on a free agent or two when it is time, is BS. Said they will spend what they have to spend.

*He also, which surprised me, said it was possible Melky could come back. There was a big Melky fan in the room. Hahn said he wasn't sure it was a fit, but definitely didn't rule it out depending on the price tag."

I've heard from others in the past that Hahn is pretty unvarnished in these meetings and basically tells it as he sees it. Very different from the polished, lawyer-speak that he usually gives to the media.

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 09-07-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Thought this would be interesting. Read a summery from a season ticket holder of the comments RH gave before the game yesterday to that group. Take them for whatever they are worth to you:

"*It looks like RH will be listening intently on offers this winter for Abreu and Avi. Thinks their contract and age in Abreu 's case don't match up well with their window.

*A lady wanted him to fire Coop. Coop will be around as long as he wants, although he has had medical issues again this year. If he ever leaves Curt Hassler would take his place.

*Says they had the top position and pitching prospect last off season with Mocada and Giolito, thinks they could have the same this winter with Kopech and Eloy, and thinks they may have it next year with Hansen and Robert.

*He also said any thought of them not spending big on a free agent or two when it is time, is BS. Said they will spend what they have to spend.

*He also, which surprised me, said it was possible Melky could come back. There was a big Melky fan in the room. Hahn said he wasn't sure it was a fit, but definitely didn't rule it out depending on the price tag."

I've heard from others in the past that Hahn is pretty unvarnished in these meetings and basically tells it as he sees it. Very different from the polished, lawyer-speak that he usually gives to the media.
Very interesting. Thanks.

But nothing too surprising. No reason to close the door on Melky but the odds of finding a fit for him with the White Sox at this point is pretty slim. Easy to tell a Melky fan that you would consider it.

I suspect the price tags on Abreu and Avi will be Quintana-like. Meaning to say that if someone offers him something overwhelming then he'll do the deal but he won't do a deal just to do a deal. Teams will have to be willing to overpay. That may well mean neither goes or perhaps Avi, being the younger of the two, goes and Abreu stays given the lack of market for 1B's of his profile. But even though I suspect Abreu stays I am not surprised to read that he would consider moving him.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Lip, thanks for sharing. Given the number of emerging Latin stars in the organization and that Abreu seems to relish the role of leader/mentor, I hope they keep him.

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't see Abreu being moved, but stranger things have happened. I suppose the fan in me hope that he takes more of a sweetheart deal in his next contract negotiations...but the laborer knows that he will (and should) bargain for every last penny he can get.

Avisail Garcia I also hope stays around, but he seems much more expendable than Abreu, and could possibly fetch a better return (especially if he continues this level of production next season). I also doubt that he would take a sweetheart deal if offered.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 09-07-2017, 12:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Lip, thanks for sharing. Given the number of emerging Latin stars in the organization and that Abreu seems to relish the role of leader/mentor, I hope they keep him.
Me too
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 09-07-2017, 12:42 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Good stuff, this is the type of stuff the beat reporters should be asking not reiterating box score info in their columns.

Regarding Abreu, Wouldnt he have had more worth at the deadline?

Regarding A. Garicia, Thats a tough situation.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Good stuff, this is the type of stuff the beat reporters should be asking not reiterating box score info in their columns.

Regarding Abreu, Wouldnt he have had more worth at the deadline?

I don't think there was much of a market for 1B/DHs this past trade deadline.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:47 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
I don't see Abreu being moved, but stranger things have happened. I suppose the fan in me hope that he takes more of a sweetheart deal in his next contract negotiations...but the laborer knows that he will (and should) bargain for every last penny he can get.

Avisail Garcia I also hope stays around, but he seems much more expendable than Abreu, and could possibly fetch a better return (especially if he continues this level of production next season). I also doubt that he would take a sweetheart deal if offered.
Not sure why Abreu should take a sweetheart deal to stick around on this team. If anything, the Sox should reward him for his loyalty and for being a model teammate. It's not like their payroll is stretched thin right now.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:03 PM
WSI Regular

Anyone else a little spooked about Avi's inability to hit for power? Particularly this year with the "juiced" ball.

Although his defense (based on the eye test, at least) looks improved this year I'm not sure he is an above average defender.

So a corner outfielder who tops out at 15 HR playing at the Cell? I would say sell high and hope someone overpays...
Old 09-07-2017, 06:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

*Says they had the top position and pitching prospect last off season with Moncada and Giolito, thinks they could have the same this winter with Kopech and Eloy, and thinks they may have it next year with Hansen and Robert.

What do you know about Curt Hassler?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 09-07-2017, 06:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Avisail Garcia led the majors in outfield assists in 2015. He is in the top ten so far this year. Does that mean he is GG quality? Of course not. I just don't believe he's the total dud some seem to think he is. I also thought Melky wasn't as bad as some fans claimed, he's got a nice arm and gets his share of assists.

Last edited by SI1020; 09-09-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:00 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
I generally like Cooper.

In the sixteen seasons he has been the pitching coach for the White Sox, they have made the postseason twice.

Tom Herman, who has coached exactly 1 football game at the University of Texas, is under more pressure and has a greater sense of urgency than a lot of people who have been part of the White Sox organization for a decade and a half and have basically, outside of 2005, never done anything but lose.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
I generally like Cooper.

In the sixteen seasons he has been the pitching coach for the White Sox, they have made the postseason twice.

Tom Herman, who has coached exactly 1 football game at the University of Texas, is under more pressure and has a greater sense of urgency than a lot of people who have been part of the White Sox organization for a decade and a half and have basically, outside of 2005, never done anything but lose.
While true, IMO Coop and the pitching staff have been consistently good and the few bright spots for the team. It's putting a lineup on the field that the KW regime was god-awful at and the Hahn regime prior to this rebuild was similarly bad at.

That and the managing. For the love of all that is holy that was craptacular managing.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:49 AM
New At WSI

If I was a season ticket holder I would voice my thoughts on is this the movie Major League come true? In the movie the owners on purpose wanted to throw games? After this weekend against S.F. if we get swept again then us fans know the "fix" is in. Really I understand the Robertson move, but a low salary player like Swarzak, who we got a bucket of balls for (era 2.93), there was no reason to unload and leave our bullpen in shambles. Plus, it really set the tone for "it is ok to lose" to all these prospects we got up in the majors now like Giolito, Lopez, Moncada, and Delmonico. If I was in attendance for Hahn's diatribe, Lip did you ask if the Sox were going to charge you AAA season ticket prices next year?
Old 09-08-2017, 12:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisoxAnnapolis View Post
If I was a season ticket holder I would voice my thoughts on is this the movie Major League come true? In the movie the owners on purpose wanted to throw games? After this weekend against S.F. if we get swept again then us fans know the "fix" is in. Really I understand the Robertson move, but a low salary player like Swarzak, who we got a bucket of balls for (era 2.93), there was no reason to unload and leave our bullpen in shambles. Plus, it really set the tone for "it is ok to lose" to all these prospects we got up in the majors now like Giolito, Lopez, Moncada, and Delmonico. If I was in attendance for Hahn's diatribe, Lip did you ask if the Sox were going to charge you AAA season ticket prices next year?
Kordell is not a "bag of balls"- pretty decent outfield prospect in exchange for a 31 yo guy who had a few decent months, these guys are all professionals, no one thinks "it's OK to lose" because of August/September 2017- they recognize they are in a rebuild.