Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2017, 05:57 PM
WSI Personality

Default Lopez Getting called up

According to this, Reynaldo Lopez will make his White Sox debut this Friday against KC. Pelfrey will head to the bullpen.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:10 PM
WSI Personality

Outstanding! Here's hoping he continues on the winning ways he recently established in AAA.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:14 PM
WSI Personality

Well that's one way to get me to the ballpark.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Been reading he deserves and expects it. More power to him.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-08-2017, 07:00 PM
WSI High Priest

I attended Lopez's MLB debut in Washington last year. It was against the Dodgers.

First inning, he threw upper 90's like the flamethrower he was hyped up as...and got killed for 6 runs. Second inning, he went out there and threw 80 mph and had a perfect inning.

It's that second inning that convinced me he could one day be a successful MLB starter.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 08-08-2017, 08:11 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I attended Lopez's MLB debut in Washington last year. It was against the Dodgers.

First inning, he threw upper 90's like the flamethrower he was hyped up as...and got killed for 6 runs. Second inning, he went out there and threw 80 mph and had a perfect inning.

It's that second inning that convinced me he could one day be a successful MLB starter.
A bit of an exaggeration on the MPH difference, but yeah he was a bit amped up as you can imagine for his debut.

He has a plus fastball and curve, his straight change is a swing and miss pitch too when he keeps it down because of his good motion.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:19 PM
WSI Regular

He will likely have some struggles with command (and not make it too far past the fifth and sixth inning) but after the parade of clowns we have trotted out there every five days I think folks are going to enjoy watching 98MPH fastballs and curve balls that freeze opposing hitters.

Lopez was one the reasons I invested in MILBTV. He made it worth it...
Old 08-08-2017, 08:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Good, then maybe one of our version of Smoltz, Maddux, and Glavine (Holland, Pelfrey, Shields) can be let go.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Excellent. I already had tickets. Looking forward to the Lopez v. Melky matchup!

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:07 AM
WSI Personality

Good for him and important for the rebuild. I was hoping to see him when Charlotte came up to play Pawtucket but that explains why he did not pitch. the Red Sox AAA team went into the series on a losing streak but they pummeled Volstadt and Danish the last 2 nights.

The rest of the season should give Lopez a chance to work w Coop and be ready for the #2 spot in rotation next year.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Long term I think he and Giolito form the back end of our rotation, with Kopech, Rodon and Hansen taking the top three spots. There will be ups and downs, but by 2021-2022, this could be a dominant rotation, like the 2005 Sox: no true ace, but a bunch of #2s and nobody worse than a #3/4.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:14 AM
WSI Prelate

I will probably miss it day of, but will watch the following day. Hoping he has a good first Sox opener. This is the beginning of a new Sox age, guys. It started with Moncada, but now comes the second piece of a long developing puzzle.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:04 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I'll be in Carlyle, Illinois. Cardinals' country. Probably won't get to see it (don't know what kind of television coverage we will have there).

‎This just in from the newswires: The Anti-Trust Division of the US Department of Justice has announced that whenever Sale take The Bump, it is unfair competition in violation of various federal and state laws. However, he is not being prosecuted because it is so ****in awesome to watch him do his craft.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Long term I think he and Giolito form the back end of our rotation, with Kopech, Rodon and Hansen taking the top three spots. There will be ups and downs, but by 2021-2022, this could be a dominant rotation, like the 2005 Sox: no true ace, but a bunch of #2s and nobody worse than a #3/4.
Just to split hairs, the post all star game Jose Contreras in 2005 was a #1 quality starter. Ahh the glory days. Think I have a DVD sitting around here somewhere..
Old 08-11-2017, 02:41 PM
WSI Personality

Reynaldo Lopez was indeed called up today. David Holmberg was sent outright to Charlotte. Mike Pelfrey will go to the bullpen.