Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2017, 05:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Default The Next Trade [Speculation Only Please]

So here we are at almost the All Star break and I still haven't seen the next step in this rebuild, I'm thinking something is going to happen trade wise next week but who knows with our wonderful brain trust.

BTW 2 Red Sox fans who are golf cronies of mine are driving me nuts asking how we could ever trade Sale, my only retort is wait until he takes the scissors to some ugly BoSox uni's from the 70s.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-05-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL
So here we are at almost the All Star break and I still haven't seen the next step in this rebuild, I'm thinking something is going to happen trade wise next week but who knows with our wonderful brain trust.

BTW 2 Red Sox fans who are golf cronies of mine are driving me nuts asking how we could ever trade Sale, my only retort is wait until he takes the scissors to some ugly BoSox uni's from the 70s.
There is still a month left to make deals, and the teams on the fringes of playoff contention are going to use up every day of that month. They want as large a sample size as possible before they decide how much of their future (if any) they are willing to sacrifice to improve their fortunes this season.

Plus, there is also the risk of injury; any teams that suffer devastating injuries between now and the deadline may decide that moves to improve this season are no longer worth the cost. The opposite also may happen; a team that suffers a devastating injury may want to plug that hole to the greatest extent possible and pay a decent cost for the privilege.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:46 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
The answer to the question is that there was no way to build a winner around the core players before they reached free agency. Sale's clubhouse persona had very little to do with it...except that the relationship was strained enough that they could be sure he wouldn't agree to another extension.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
The answer to the question is that there was no way to build a winner around the core players before they reached free agency. Sale's clubhouse persona had very little to do with it...except that the relationship was strained enough that they could be sure he wouldn't agree to another extension.
That's an oversimplification. If the GM used the strained relationship as justification to trade Sale, the strained relationship had a lot to do with the GM,

Meanwhile, he didn't shop Sale to to demand the best price anywhere near to the extent that he has allegedly shopped Quintana.

And Eaton, of course, was under team control though 2021.

There hasn't been a trade of any rebuild significance since Eaton. Even without the the full-blown trade-your-best-controllable-players-rebuild-mentality, you would expect the White Sox to trade pending free agents to go before the deadline if they are out of the race.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
There is still a month left to make deals, and the teams on the fringes of playoff contention are going to use up every day of that month. They want as large a sample size as possible before they decide how much of their future (if any) they are willing to sacrifice to improve their fortunes this season.
That's logical for the teams that pretty much know they'll make the playoffs...which, unfortunately is the teams that seem to be most willing and able to buy (Bos, Hou, LaD, Wash).
But teams that don't know they will make the playoffs, lose a month of production by waiting...unfortunately, some of those teams don't look like buyers: KC, TB, Milw
There are just a few teams that aren't assured of the playoffs and may buy: Cle, Cubs, Az, Colo. NYY Those teams shouldn't wait, if they are buying.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
That's logical for the teams that pretty much know they'll make the playoffs...which, unfortunately is the teams that seem to be most willing and able to buy (Bos, Hou, LaD, Wash).
But teams that don't know they will make the playoffs, lose a month of production by waiting...unfortunately, some of those teams don't look like buyers: KC, TB, Milw, NYY.
There are just a few teams that aren't assured of the playoffs and may buy: Cle, Cubs, Az, Colo. Those teams shouldn't wait, if they are buying.
Agree, if the idea is to win as many games as possible and if there are players available that will help, you pull the trigger now instead of waiting until the last minute
Old 07-05-2017, 07:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
That's an oversimplification. If the GM used the strained relationship as justification to trade Sale, the strained relationship had a lot to do with the GM,

Meanwhile, he didn't shop Sale to to demand the best price anywhere near to the extent that he has allegedly shopped Quintana.
Can you cite a source to confirm what you've stated?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 07-05-2017, 07:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
But teams that don't know they will make the playoffs, lose a month of production by waiting...unfortunately, some of those teams don't look like buyers: KC, TB, Milw
There are just a few teams that aren't assured of the playoffs and may buy: Cle, Cubs, Az, Colo. NYY Those teams shouldn't wait, if they are buying.
Sure work the phones but with so many variable in play how can anyone say the time is now to pull the trigger?
Old 07-05-2017, 08:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Sure work the phones but with so many variable in play how can anyone say the time is now to pull the trigger?
You never know for sure. But teams make trades in early July and even June (as our FO well knows.....). If you like the deal, take it.
It doesn't matter from the Sox perspective when they make a trade, as long as they do make trades for the guys with expiring contracts plus D Rob.

Last edited by Tragg; 07-05-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Can you cite a source to confirm what you've stated?
Is a source needed for something you don't want to believe but the assumption that Sale's relationship was strained and wouldn't have signed an extension should be a presumptive fact?

If Sale's relationship was strained, perhaps because he believed the White Sox are more interested in selling souvenir jerseys than building a winning team, are you suggesting a source is needed to show that Rick Hahn had nothing to do with the White Sox not building a winning team?

Hahn has been the White Sox GM since the 2012 World Series. He has his fingerprints all over the White Sox not being able to build a winning team this decade. Does anyone who finds him blameless for not building a winning team during his tenure need to cite a source?

If you are going to take as presumptive evidence that Sale was alienated by the team and wouldn't have signed an extension, you also have to presume that the general manager for the last four seasons of Sale's tenure with the White Sox bears some of the responsibility for the alienation.

I don't think anyone who is arguing that it has taken so long for Quintana to be traded because Hahn is looking for the right deal could argue that that Sale was shopped to the same extent. Sale was traded on the third day of the winter meetings, kicking off a flurry of one additional offseason rebuilding trade.

Does your faith in Rick Hahn require a confirmation source?
Old 07-05-2017, 09:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Sale is very very good. But Sale being very very good wasn't doing anything for us. If everything works out, we will have a few players that are some level of good to very good, for a larger number of years, at a time when hopefully they will do something for us. It's a gamble, sure, but it doesn't seem like THAT difficult of a thing to understand.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
Sale is very very good. But Sale being very very good wasn't doing anything for us. If everything works out, we will have a few players that are some level of good to very good, for a larger number of years, at a time when hopefully they will do something for us. It's a gamble, sure, but it doesn't seem like THAT difficult of a thing to understand.
I'm not sure how many teams in MLB history traded away their 2 best players in starting a rebuild, for example I remember the Cubs in the 50s and early 60s going through about 3 rebuilds but they never traded Ernie Banks. My take on the whole thing is that the cart came before the horse with Sale and Eaton pissing off management to the point that the FO decided to trade them and start a rebuild. If there were no issues last year with those 2, they never would have been traded and the club could have added pieces or started a rebuild around those 2.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-05-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I'm not sure how many teams in MLB history traded away their 2 best players in starting a rebuild, my take on the whole is that the cart came before the horse with Sale and Eaton pissing off management to the point of lets trade them and start a rebuild. If their were no issues last year with those 2, they probably would not have been traded.
No way.

Look at how flawed this team is- even with Sale and Eaton- we're not a contender.

The 2017 "non rebuild White Sox" were headed towards horrible defense, mediocre bullpen, mediocre to horrible 4th (Gonzalez) and 5th (Shields) rotation starters, no catching to speak of, mediocre up the middle overall (scrap heap catchers, young SS Anderson, Lawrie/Saladino/Sanchez at 2B, and no one to play CF (unless you put Eaton there and he's not a very good CF)), along with very little coming in the farm system all added up to the need to rebuild, not any of the "issues' around Drake Laroche and throwback uniforms.

It's very tough to lose Sale, but I don't know how anyone can think twice about trading Eaton. Since when does a RF hitting .284-14-59 with a .790 OPS and 14 SBs impress anyone? He was a plus defender in RF- but that production for a RF is not something to regret losing when you're getting 3 quality arms in return. That is not the RF on a pennant winning team, and if you move him to CF, he's no longer a plus defender.
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 07-05-2017, 10:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
No way.

Look at how flawed this team is- even with Sale and Eaton- we're not a contender.

The 2017 "non rebuild White Sox" were headed towards horrible defense, mediocre bullpen, mediocre to horrible 4th (Gonzalez) and 5th (Shields) rotation starters, no catching to speak of, mediocre up the middle overall (scrap heap catchers, young SS Anderson, Lawrie/Saladino/Sanchez at 2B, and no one to play CF (unless you put Eaton there and he's not a very good CF)), along with very little coming in the farm system all added up to the need to rebuild, not any of the "issues' around Drake Laroche and throwback uniforms.

It's very tough to lose Sale, but I don't know how anyone can think twice about trading Eaton. Since when does a RF hitting .284-14-59 with a .790 OPS and 14 SBs impress anyone? He was a plus defender in RF- but that production for a RF is not something to regret losing when you're getting 3 quality arms in return. That is not the RF on a pennant winning team, and if you move him to CF, he's no longer a plus defender.
That's not what most of us were saying during the 2016 season, everyone thought that Eaton in right field and as a lead off hitter was the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:09 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
That's not what most of us were saying during the 2016 season, everyone thought that Eaton in right field and as a lead off hitter was the best thing since sliced bread.
Lance Johnson says, "hello!"