Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2017, 01:41 AM
WSI Guru

Default *Official 5/17/17 Postgame; The Dirty Dozen*

Sox give up 12 runs to the Angels and get swept despite scoring eight runs themselves and having an early 4-0 lead.

Starting pitching is now completely broken, a real mess.

Sox have also lost 12 of their last 16 games.

The "Tank for Beer" movement is now in full operation.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:48 AM
WSI Guru

Regression was inevitable for career mediocre pitchers such as Gonzalez and Swarzak.

Defensively, the Sox played mostly clean games throughout the month of April. That was a mirage. There's been a lot of sloppiness ever since the series in Baltimore, and honestly, I expect those woes to continue. There aren't many players on this team who are worth a damn with the glove.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-18-2017, 03:21 AM
WSI Guru

The rotation is really becoming a concern. Funny how the front end of the bullpen is more reliable these days, though there still are holes there. But if the starters continue performing the way they have, the relievers will be spent by the deadline and that won't be good for Hahn as he tries to do business.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
The rotation is really becoming a concern. Funny how the front end of the bullpen is more reliable these days, though there still are holes there. But if the starters continue performing the way they have, the relievers will be spent by the deadline and that won't be good for Hahn as he tries to do business.
I believe the White Sox will find a way not to burn out those bullpen assets.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-18-2017, 08:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

They returned to unwatchable baseball.

At least April was nice.

<sigh>
Old 05-18-2017, 08:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Eight runs and a loss? things really suck
Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Another nice thing about the rebuild? I don't feel compelled to stay up late for west coast games. On to Seattle.

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Regression was inevitable for career mediocre pitchers such as Gonzalez and Swarzak.

Defensively, the Sox played mostly clean games throughout the month of April. That was a mirage. There's been a lot of sloppiness ever since the series in Baltimore, and honestly, I expect those woes to continue. There aren't many players on this team who are worth a damn with the glove.
May certainly was terrible with the bat, but his glove seemed to help significantly.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post

Eight runs and a loss? things really suck
If hitting is your thing, you are right.

I prefer watching good pitching and defense - that seems to win more games, especially in October (I seem to have a distant memory of it).
Old 05-18-2017, 12:08 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanatlanta View Post
I prefer watching good pitching and defense - that seems to win more games, especially in October (I seem to have a distant memory of it).
I tend to agree. That's how the Sox generally have succeeded in their history.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:56 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
May certainly was terrible with the bat, but his glove seemed to help significantly.
Agreed. May was overmatched at the plate, but he displayed competence in CF. Leury Garcia's hitting has been one of the pleasant surprises of the early season, but he is subpar in CF, to say the least. But what else could we reasonably expect? He's an infielder being asked to play the outfield. Of course that isn't working well.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Agreed. May was overmatched at the plate, but he displayed competence in CF. Leury Garcia's hitting has been one of the pleasant surprises of the early season, but he is subpar in CF, to say the least. But what else could we reasonably expect? He's an infielder being asked to play the outfield. Of course that isn't working well.
That's not terribly dissimilar from how the run prevention went to hell last year after Austin Jackson - who was bad with the bat but good with the glove - went down to injury. And it's not terribly dissimilar from how the run prevention went to hell in the second half of 2006 when Mackowiak got a lot more innings in CF.

I'm not saying we need an all-glove, no-bat player in CF long term. But in a year when we're rebuilding, and trying to maximize the trade value of our limited assets - many of which are pitchers - maybe it makes sense to take the offensive lumps with May in CF and let Leury DH and back up the infield spots.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:31 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
That's not terribly dissimilar from how the run prevention went to hell last year after Austin Jackson - who was bad with the bat but good with the glove - went down to injury. And it's not terribly dissimilar from how the run prevention went to hell in the second half of 2006 when Mackowiak got a lot more innings in CF.

I'm not saying we need an all-glove, no-bat player in CF long term. But in a year when we're rebuilding, and trying to maximize the trade value of our limited assets - many of which are pitchers - maybe it makes sense to take the offensive lumps with May in CF and let Leury DH and back up the infield spots.
One problem with this club is they have so many candidates for DH, and so few guys who can play their positions effectively. You would think they'd be a better hitting team with all these guys who are bat-only kind of players.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:43 PM
WSI Personality

While the inspired play of April was fun to watch, we all knew this was coming. I follow Avi, Sanchez, Anderson, and Davidson and check the Charlotte box scores. What else is there to do?

Hopefully, the June draft will yield another player with a strong hit tool and we have a solid foundation for '19.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
One problem with this club is they have so many candidates for DH, and so few guys who can play their positions effectively. You would think they'd be a better hitting team with all these guys who are bat-only kind of players.
The real problem is that so many of these no-glove players just aren't very good hitters. Asche was terrible and is rightly gone. Davidson, after doing well in spots specifically tailored for him to succeed, has faded as he's been exposed.

Garcia seems to be keeping up his decent hitting, though. Long term he probably belongs in LF or DH - if he can keep hitting.

I'm OK with average-to-below average defense at first and left in order to get middle-of-the-order hitters in the lineup, but I want above-average defense up the middle, at right, and at third.