White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-15-2017, 03:32 PM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 16,774
Default We, um, we should have traded Q shouldn't we?

Seriously. Why the hold up?
__________________
http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-15-2017, 03:46 PM
thomas35forever's Avatar
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 26,305
Default

The good news is Q is under control for a few more years, so plenty of time for him to get back on track. But yeah, the decision to hold this offseason is looking pretty bad right now.

The Sox wouldn't have won today anyway with how Santana was dealing. Still, it's discouraging to see this from the guy who's supposed to be your top trade piece.
__________________
Consistency lost
If found, please return to 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago. Generous reward offered.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-15-2017, 03:56 PM
hoosiersoxfan hoosiersoxfan is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Seriously. Why the hold up?
Probably were getting lowballed on offers. I wouldn't worry just yet its only been 3 starts for Q and his track record shows he will be a very good pitcher.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-15-2017, 04:10 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 10,241
Default

No rush, it takes time to right the ship. As long as Quintana doesnt get hurt its all ok.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-15-2017, 04:20 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 31,079
Default

I suspect the trade talk has started to make an impact. The guy is human...how could it not?

Plus as per usual, they can't score runs for him.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-15-2017, 04:29 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 14,450
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Of course they should have. His value had only one way to move.
But that's not news.
Maybe teams will ignore recent performance, like Hahn does when he trades for veterans.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-15-2017, 04:32 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 4,233
Default

If the Sox weren't getting proper value for an ace pitcher, then they did the right thing. It's April, I really wouldn't start sweating it.
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-15-2017, 04:36 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 11,097
Default

Hes had 1 good start and 2 bad, I doubt his value has changed much either direction.

Sorry, but meatball overreaction here. No, we shouldn't have traded the most valueable player on the market once Sale was dealt just to deal him, then everyone here would be bitching about that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-15-2017, 05:12 PM
Dick Allen Dick Allen is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Arlington Heights
Posts: 3,439
Default

Any time Abreu and Frazier want to start hitting, OK by me.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-15-2017, 05:50 PM
guillensdisciple guillensdisciple is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 16,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
The good news is Q is under control for a few more years, so plenty of time for him to get back on track. But yeah, the decision to hold this offseason is looking pretty bad right now.

The Sox wouldn't have won today anyway with how Santana was dealing. Still, it's discouraging to see this from the guy who's supposed to be your top trade piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Probably were getting lowballed on offers. I wouldn't worry just yet its only been 3 starts for Q and his track record shows he will be a very good pitcher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
No rush, it takes time to right the ship. As long as Quintana doesnt get hurt its all ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I suspect the trade talk has started to make an impact. The guy is human...how could it not?

Plus as per usual, they can't score runs for him.

Lip
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
If the Sox weren't getting proper value for an ace pitcher, then they did the right thing. It's April, I really wouldn't start sweating it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Hes had 1 good start and 2 bad, I doubt his value has changed much either direction.

Sorry, but meatball overreaction here. No, we shouldn't have traded the most valueable player on the market once Sale was dealt just to deal him, then everyone here would be bitching about that.
I think you guys are right. Still time to be patient. Plus,
We have exceeded the minimal expectations I have had so far. There's that.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-15-2017, 06:01 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 17,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Seriously. Why the hold up?
Maybe he has no trade value.

Seriously, he hasn't been pitching well this season. It could be because he mentally can't handle being the ace or de facto ace of the staff. Especially on opening day, when Verlander didn't totally shut down the Sox and the rain out giving him even more time to think about it, that's a real possibility. He was a better pitcher when Chris Sale was the ace.

Another possibility is that he isn't dealing well with talk of being traded. He allegedly enjoys pitching for the Sox and signed a long-term deal with the Sox.

One thing that sometimes comes up in discussing tough-luck pitchers, pitchers who pitch well enough to win but don't win many games, is the question of being mentally capable of winning, although fans who only look at stats in a vacuum dismiss such concepts as ridiculous.

Still, it's possible that teams had a reason not to offer the boatload of prospects for Quintana that the team and fans would expect based upon his statistical success. His second start perhaps was an example of a pitchers' duel where he struggled to keep the Sox in the game rather than a tough-luck game where he pitched brilliantly and didn't get enough run support. Some teams might be seriously questioning if Quintana would pitch well enough for them as he has historically for the Sox, well enough to give up prospects they actually care about.

If you're concerned that he doesn't have the mental ability to win or pitch well for you, his contract ceases to be a selling point. Holland would be cheaper and in some ways could be more attractive in the short term because he would be so much cheaper and appears more motivated to win while requiring less of a commitment.

I have always believed the Sox wouldn't get enough in trade for Quintana to match his current and future to the team. In any case, his value isn't increasing. He hasn't been a very good pitcher this season, and his problems don't appear to be physical. If they were, he wouldn't have stayed on the mound after pitching the Sox out of the game before their cleanup hitter got his first chance to hit.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-15-2017, 06:15 PM
Golden Sox Golden Sox is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oswego, Illinois
Posts: 1,462
Default

It seems like every time Davidson hits a home run he gets benched the following day. He's one of the few people who is hitting on this team and it seems like he can't crack the starting lineup every day.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-15-2017, 06:25 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 4,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Maybe he has no trade value.

Seriously, he hasn't been pitching well this season.
It's April 15th, please get some perspective.

Quote:
One thing that sometimes comes up in discussing tough-luck pitchers, pitchers who pitch well enough to win but don't win many games, is the question of being mentally capable of winning, although fans who only look at stats in a vacuum dismiss such concepts as ridiculous.
Probably because it is ridiculous. You can't win games if your team isn't scoring behind you. It has been shown over and over and over again that "wins" is a pretty worthless stat.

Quote:
If you're concerned that he doesn't have the mental ability to win or pitch well for you, his contract ceases to be a selling point. Holland would be cheaper and in some ways could be more attractive in the short term because he would be so much cheaper and appears more motivated to win while requiring less of a commitment.
No sane GM is concerned about those things...it's April 15th.

Quote:
I have always believed the Sox wouldn't get enough in trade for Quintana to match his current and future to the team. In any case, his value isn't increasing. He hasn't been a very good pitcher this season, and his problems don't appear to be physical. If they were, he wouldn't have stayed on the mound after pitching the Sox out of the game before their cleanup hitter got his first chance to hit.
It's April 15th....
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-15-2017, 06:26 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 4,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
It seems like every time Davidson hits a home run he gets benched the following day. He's one of the few people who is hitting on this team and it seems like he can't crack the starting lineup every day.
He's in a platoon, it has nothing to do with whether or not he hit a home run the previous day.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-15-2017, 06:47 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 11,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
It's April 15th, please get some perspective.

Probably because it is ridiculous. You can't win games if your team isn't scoring behind you. It has been shown over and over and over again that "wins" is a pretty worthless stat.



No sane GM is concerned about those things...it's April 15th.



It's April 15th....
Thank You... Just.... Thank You...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.