Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2017, 01:21 PM
WSI Guru

Default Sox Hall of Fame at the park?

So I just came across this video of a brother and sister attending a game during the park's first year and at one point, they visit a Hall of Fame there. I don't remember one being there. Can someone tell me the deal behind this place? I was only 2 when the park opened and didn't get there until I was 7.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:54 PM
WSI High Priest

It was in the lower deck concourse right behind home plate adjacent to the main gift shop. At some point, they got rid of the HOF to expand the gift shop. IIRC, it was $1 to enter the HOF when the park first opened (with money going to White Sox Charities). Then at some point, they eliminated the fee and sort of made the HOF and the gift shop all one room....then they just got rid of the HOF stuff altogether.

I remember that they had an Old Comiskey CF bleachers shower head and also the "crown" from Melton's HR title from the early 70s. It's a shame that they got rid of it. I thought it was pretty cool. I think they now have some of that memorabilia stuff on display in the Scouts Seats area - but that's something 99% of the fans will never see.

White Sox Baseball 2011-2016*
Passion!
Pride!
Tradition!

*except for 3 months in mid 2012 and 5 weeks in early 2016

Last edited by Hitmen77; 04-12-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:33 PM
WSI Guru

I've mentioned this from time to time to the folks that I know. It needs to be brought back in some form to honor the history of the franchise.

A lot of that stuff is now in the area where interviews are done. When Chuck Garfien has a sit down interview you can see a lot of the stuff behind him or the subject in a glass case in the background.

But that's an area fans aren't usually allowed in.

Bad decision in my opinion getting rid of it.

Lip
Old 04-12-2017, 02:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Great video.

Amazing how much the park has changed from then to now.

Also, notice how kids didn't wear seat belts as recent as 1991.

And did he get 6 Best Kosher hot dogs for $15?

$6.50 for one today.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:23 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Most of those items are in the Scout Seat Lounge.

Costs more than $1.00 to enter.....

‎This just in from the newswires: The Anti-Trust Division of the US Department of Justice has announced that whenever Sale take The Bump, it is unfair competition in violation of various federal and state laws. However, he is not being prosecuted because it is so ****in awesome to watch him do his craft.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:05 PM
WSI High Priest

I remember entering the HOF area, following a path around the room, and exiting near the gift shop. There was a bunch of cool memorabilia in there.

EDIT: Just realized I added nothing to the discussion.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 04-12-2017, 10:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Good to see the "old" bullpens again (aka the caverns).
I loved the game. I'd have played for free and worked for food. It was the game, the parks, the smells, the sounds. Have you ever held a bat or a baseball to your face? The varnish, the leather. And it was the crowd, the excitement of them rising as one when the ball was hit deep. It makes me tingle all over like a kid on his way to his first double-header, just to talk about it. - Shoeless Joe Jackson
Old 04-13-2017, 01:10 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Also, notice how kids didn't wear seat belts as recent as 1991.
The first Illinois child passenger restraint law was enacted in 1983. I wrote the first ticket for it in Naperville when a guy went around a corner in a van, and his five-year-old kid, who was standing up in the van, fell against the door, the door popped open, and the kid fell out. Fortunately, his injuries were minor.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 04-14-2017, 09:06 AM
WSI Prelate

There's a long cabinet of the old hall of fame memorabilia plus some more recent pieces in the Scout Seats pre/post game buffet dining area/lounge.

I splurged last year for a game, was a nice experience.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:50 PM
WSI High Priest

At some point weren't some of these artifacts in the Club level? They got rid of the hall of fame maybe around 2004.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 04-14-2017, 08:36 PM
WSI Regular

I used to try to visit it every time I went to the game. Always enjoyed it and was disappointed when they axed it.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:41 AM
WSI Personality

Default White Sox HOF

I saw the White Sox memorabilia that they have behind a glass case in the Scout Seating Area last year. Although its a nice display, theres not alot of items there. For a franchise thats 117 years old I would think they would have more items displayed. Most MLB franchises have a Hall of Fame. The White Sox don't. You would think the franchise would have a White Sox Hall of Fame somewhere in the park. A new building adjacent to the park would be nice. I would think there would be fans who would donate some of their White Sox items to the White Sox HOF. I have a ton of items that I would eventually donate to them if they wanted the items. Maybe the next time they have renovations of the park they will build a White Sox HOF.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:32 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Maybe the next time they have renovations of the park they will build a White Sox HOF.
Don't think there are anymore serious renovations planned. It is what it is...

Lip
Old 04-15-2017, 02:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I saw the White Sox memorabilia that they have behind a glass case in the Scout Seating Area last year. Although its a nice display, theres not alot of items there. For a franchise thats 117 years old I would think they would have more items displayed. Most MLB franchises have a Hall of Fame. The White Sox don't. You would think the franchise would have a White Sox Hall of Fame somewhere in the park. A new building adjacent to the park would be nice. I would think there would be fans who would donate some of their White Sox items to the White Sox HOF. I have a ton of items that I would eventually donate to them if they wanted the items. Maybe the next time they have renovations of the park they will build a White Sox HOF.
I agree. How great would that be, fan donations with names showing who donated.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:53 PM
WSI Guru

I'm sure the new stadium in Portland will have a Hall of Fame.