Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2017, 09:09 AM
WSI Regular

Default The Ringer: Let's Talk Ourselves Into the White Sox Winning the World Series

https://theringer.com/chicago-white-...4df#.qay4xxkol

It's good to see some articles about the White Sox on sites like The Ringer. You can probably make a "if a bunch of things go right and you get lucky ____ can win a World Series" article for maybe 28 of the 30 MLB teams, but its still a fun read.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Was just currently reading it too.

As currently constructed,since they couldn't unload Quintana, Frazier, and Robertson, I can see this team playing .500 ball if a lot goes right.

For whatever that gets you, I know for some here "winning" seasons give a sense of satisfaction. To me, it does nothing.

Now, let's play the what if game I guess (for fun):

1) Can Abreu and Frazier not duplicate their horrendous 1st half performances from last season with RISP? Frazier basically sucking the entire season in that department.

2) Can Rodon take that next step up and be closer to the dominance of a Chris Sale and become the ACE he was projected to be when drafted?

3) Can Tim Anderson explode into that conversation with the rest of the elite young SS in the game?

4) Can James Shields return not to his ACE form but to a serviceable back of the rotation starter?

5) Can a bullpen anchored by Burdi, Jones, Robertson be dominant enough to turn games into a 7 inning affair?

6) Can the Sox get a breakout performance from someone not expected: Lowrie, Garcia, CF, etc?

If the Sox can check all those boxes, then maybe they can make this season interesting.

But in all seriousness, let's hope they can sell off these last few pieces before April.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:18 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Yeah even I'm not gonna buy that hype. Some rabbit holes are too deep to get to the bottom of even for a diehard optimist like me...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-14-2017, 10:23 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Its nice to see someone else with their heads in the clouds if all the stars align correctly. This is not a bad team and for sure not a tanking team. Way too much incentive for key players to play well.

Ill take a flyer at big odds for pennant and series.

Last edited by Noneck; 02-14-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:04 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Yeah even I'm not gonna buy that hype. Some rabbit holes are too deep to get to the bottom of even for a diehard optimist like me...
Despite the holes last year, the Sox could have won the Central with a strong bullpen, considering how many games were lost late, not just overall but to teams in the Central. The Central is the weakest division in baseball and the Indians, who had holes, went to the World Series. The fact that they were unable to find championship-caliber pitching after going up 3-1 points to their holes.

Winning the division would come down to starting pitching pitching well enough and deep enough to minimize innings from the bullpen. It comes down to what you do, which often doesn't correlate to what you can do. As unlikely as that would be -- everything going right such as for a bad 1977 White Sox team winning 90 games and even then finishing a distant divisional third-- winning this year is much less likely without Sale.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:39 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Despite the holes last year, the Sox could have won the Central with a strong bullpen, considering how many games were lost late, not just overall but to teams in the Central.
Revisionist history. The bullpen was not the only reason the Sox were the doormats of the Central. They had Latos and Shields in the rotation, they had Avi and Jackson and the Avila/Navarro tandem in the lineup, and they had Robin as a manager.

The hot start was simply a fluke. Accept it.

One can always dream that a team will catch lightning in a bottle, but without Sale and Eaton that dream would require hallucinogenic mushrooms.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:40 AM
WSI High Priest

This offense is still just as deficient as it was last year. This team either needs to hit more or run more, and since I don't see them hitting more, I think running more is the default option. If you're going to hit the 3rd-fewest home runs in the AL and post the 5th-lowest OPS in the AL, then Todd Frazier's 20 stolen base attempts simply cannot lead the team in that department. I know this strategy flies in the face of everything we now know about giving away outs, but what is the point of being cautious with outs when you don't hit enough as it is?
Old 02-14-2017, 11:44 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
This offense is still just as deficient as it was last year. This team either needs to hit more or run more, and since I don't see them hitting more, I think running more is the default option. If you're going to hit the 3rd-fewest home runs in the AL and post the 5th-lowest OPS in the AL, then Todd Frazier's 20 stolen base attempts simply cannot lead the team in that department. I know this strategy flies in the face of everything we now know about giving away outs, but what is the point of being cautious with outs when you don't hit enough as it is?
What is the point of conserving outs? We want the team to be bad.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Unfortunately the rebuild kind of has gone half ass again which is the reason leaves open to these conversations now about a miracle contention.

Now I don't truly think the half ass rebuild was by the Sox own design as many will fault them for. The trade market and FA market just never developed. Reason why guys like Frazier, Lowrie, Melky, and Robertson are still here.

Other GMs picked the wrong year to finally be smart. The year the Sox were willing to deal the entire house.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:53 PM
WSI Personality

Naaaa.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'd like this year's team to lose as many games as possible.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Right now I'm hoping for a winning season, they are a long way from another WS Championship.
I still haven't figured out what direction they are going, what hapenned to the rebuild?
Old 02-14-2017, 03:55 PM
WSI Prelate

I have to ask after reading the same things over and over and over again here:

Are people just willfully ignorant as to how a franchise tries to rebuild? Or has this franchise made some people *so* jaded, that no matter what they do, they're going to just be given zero benefit of the doubt? I am not a fan of willful ignorance, but I would not blame people for just being completely jaded. However, if that is the case, can some folks just admit that and not pretend to have some higher level of insight?

Thanks.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 02-14-2017, 04:04 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Revisionist history. The bullpen was not the only reason the Sox were the doormats of the Central. They had Latos and Shields in the rotation, they had Avi and Jackson and the Avila/Navarro tandem in the lineup, and they had Robin as a manager.

The hot start was simply a fluke. Accept it.

One can always dream that a team will catch lightning in a bottle, but without Sale and Eaton that dream would require hallucinogenic mushrooms.
Good post. If somehow they could post a winning season that would be enough for me at this stage...but even that is very unlikely.

Lip
Old 02-14-2017, 04:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I have to ask after reading the same things over and over and over again here:

Are people just willfully ignorant as to how a franchise tries to rebuild? Or has this franchise made some people *so* jaded, that no matter what they do, they're going to just be given zero benefit of the doubt? I am not a fan of willful ignorance, but I would not blame people for just being completely jaded. However, if that is the case, can some folks just admit that and not pretend to have some higher level of insight?

Thanks.
You can count me in the Jaded column and I will remain there as long as the JR regime owns the Sox.