Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2017, 02:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Default 2017 Total Rebuild Part 6

MLB Daily Dish ‏@mlbdailydish 5h5 hours ago

NL East: Nationals still interested in David Robertson

Washington has yet to fill their reliever need.
http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2017/2/8...rlins-pitching
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 02-09-2017, 10:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

I read a story a couple of days ago that said the Nationals were interested in Robertson but wanted the Sox to pay his salary and weren't willing to give up any prospects. I wondered if Rizzo is a jedi?
Old 02-09-2017, 12:39 PM
WSI Prelate

We're coming down to the wire on deals. Once spring training opens, most teams want to see what they have.

Probably little movement until towards the end of spring when teams deal with injuries or understand that who they have aren't cutting it.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:11 AM
WSI High Priest

I'd like to move Robertson, but we can't eat a ton of money to do it and we should get something decent in return. I'd rather get a good prospect than a money-saving venture because I doubt we'd say, "Hey, this is $XX million we'll plow into 2019."
Old 02-10-2017, 06:45 AM
WSI Prelate

Rather than thinking of ourselves as sellers, we need to think of ourselves as buyers. We are buying future assets. We want to get the best possible prospects.

Saving money on the 2018 payroll won't mean the Sox have that much more on the 2019 payroll.

Money saved this year just goes into the investors' pockets.

So to whatever extent possible, Hahn should package money with Robertson, or whomever, to get better prospects in return.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:05 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Rather than thinking of ourselves as sellers, we need to think of ourselves as buyers. We are buying future assets. We want to get the best possible prospects.

Saving money on the 2018 payroll won't mean the Sox have that much more on the 2019 payroll.

So to whatever extent possible, Hahn should package money with Robertson, or whomever, to get better prospects in return.
I just want to be picky here. None of us know what the Sox do with extra money on a year by year basis. They might give extra large payouts to the investors or they might sock it away into investments for use at a later date for bonuses or salaries in times of shortfall. I am sure the investors are all being paid a solid income, but it is not guaranteed that any money not spent on payroll this year automatically becomes a windfall for them.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-10-2017, 09:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
I'm totally cool with that. These are the same people we will need to support the team with extra financial resources when it finally gets competitive again. May as well boost the financial health of the franchise in any way possible when on-field wins are not in the short-term forecast. Cut dividend checks, re-invest in some other area (international scouting? stadium improvements?), reduce any operating debt, or even just put the money in an interest-bearing account of some kind.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:08 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
just put the money in an interest-bearing account of some kind.
Do those even exist any more?
Old 02-12-2017, 12:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Interesting article about the Nationals interest in David Robertson. It treats him as having more value in a return of prospects than most of us think he has.

https://www.outsidepitchmlb.com/davi...ationals/63029
Old 02-12-2017, 02:57 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Interesting article about the Nationals interest in David Robertson. It treats him as having more value in a return of prospects than most of us think he has.

https://www.outsidepitchmlb.com/davi...ationals/63029
I want Juan Soto in any deal with WAS.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
I want Juan Soto in any deal with WAS.
Yes, I think Soto would be a good rebuilding piece and a good return for Robertson perhaps with another lower level prospect... and perhaps not if he is as good as he sounds.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:02 AM

Hahn needs to get the Robertson and Q deals done before the season starts, IMO. Then Jones gets his chance to close (in the few games the Sox are leading) before the trade deadline.

The Nats seem to be the likeliest destination for Robertson, and a Soto+ package would be just fine, where the value of the + depends on how much money the Sox send along with Robertson. Nothing wrong with buying a better prospect; teams that win do it all the time, and for once there will be extra cash to spend.

The Astros are the team that needs Q the most, but they seem like idiots, based on the various reports that Bregman, Martes, Tucker, and Musgrove are all untouchable. The Pirates, on the other hand, seem willing to deal. They may not be willing to give up Meadows, but everyone else seems to be on the table. If the Sox could get a Glasnow-Keller-Newman-+ package, that's a suitably rich return. It would be disappointing only because it lacks a premium hitter. And then there are the Braves...they have not been rumored to be unreasonable, and they would apparently deal Albies (better than Newman) and could add an Acuna or Maitan.

I agree with everyone who says Q's value is at its peak right now. If Pitt has the best offer, I think Hahn should take it. And, if it's pitching heavy, then they have to start dangling Rodon for that cornerstone hitter. He might be more interesting to the Yankees than Q. Jones ought to bring a great return, too.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:04 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Hahn needs to get the Robertson and Q deals done before the season starts, IMO. Then Jones gets his chance to close (in the few games the Sox are leading) before the trade deadline.

The Nats seem to be the likeliest destination for Robertson, and a Soto+ package would be just fine, where the value of the + depends on how much money the Sox send along with Robertson. Nothing wrong with buying a better prospect; teams that win do it all the time, and for once there will be extra cash to spend.

The Astros are the team that needs Q the most, but they seem like idiots, based on the various reports that Bregman, Martes, Tucker, and Musgrove are all untouchable. The Pirates, on the other hand, seem willing to deal. They may not be willing to give up Meadows, but everyone else seems to be on the table. If the Sox could get a Glasnow-Keller-Newman-+ package, that's a suitably rich return. It would be disappointing only because it lacks a premium hitter. And then there are the Braves...they have not been rumored to be unreasonable, and they would apparently deal Albies (better than Newman) and could add an Acuna or Maitan.

I agree with everyone who says Q's value is at its peak right now. If Pitt has the best offer, I think they have to take it. And, if it's pitching heavy, I think they have to start dangling Rodon for that cornerstone hitter. He might be more interesting to the Yankees than Q.
They aren't trading Rodon. They are building around him.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I understand that. I'm saying that if the best offer for Q returns the likes of Glasnow and Keller, they should take it and look for ways to convert pitching depth into hitting. Rodon would become their best trade chip...his best years may come too soon, and his trade value could peak even sooner.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. His agent and the Sox don't exactly have a great relationship. I worry about us being able to keep him long term