White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2001, 12:27 PM
WSI Regular

Default Be honest

In 1999, after my Tribe lost Game 3 in the Division Series against Boston, I said I'd gladly lose the next two games if it meant getting rid of Mike Hargrove. They did lose, and they did dump him.

If it meant getting rid of Jerry Manuel (the coach, not our poster here), would you be willing to let these four games go???

Be honest. To this day, i still hear about losing that series, but I know deep down it was worth it.
Old 07-23-2001, 12:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Are you an old tribe fan? if so, welcome to the other side!
MMXXIII

I like JM.

Its time to kick the crap out of the Toons.
Webmaster - French Fryer

There is definitely a "good Jerry" and a "bad Jerry". Last year we saw nothing but "good" until perhaps the ALDS when Piniella danced circles around our guy.

2001 has had a measure of both Jerrys. He was the worst manager imaginable through late-May, but I have to give him credit for keeping the clubhouse together enough to get us back to .500. "Good Jerry" is the first manager to successfully navigate his team in such a fashion in ten years--no small feat.

For now I would keep Jerry because he has demonstrated more upside for our team than downside. That would have been unthinkable just ten months ago when I was convinced he was the best manager in the league this side of Joe Torre.

He's still "good", but he's lost a lot of the goodwill he had built up in 1999 and 2000.

"If that's a vote of confidence, I'll take it!"
Old 07-23-2001, 12:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Outcast even if the Sox lose all four games to the Tribe Williams will not fire Manuel. They signed him to an extension during spring training. With the injuries this year Williams is going to let Manuel slide. Next year with a healthy team if he does poorly he might get launched.
Old 07-23-2001, 12:50 PM
MMXXIII

Default Re: Be honest

Quote:
Originally posted by Outcast Radio
In 1999, after my Tribe lost Game 3 in the Division Series against Boston, I said I'd gladly lose the next two games if it meant getting rid of Mike Hargrove. They did lose, and they did dump him.

If it meant getting rid of Jerry Manuel (the coach, not our poster here), would you be willing to let these four games go???

Be honest. To this day, i still hear about losing that series, but I know deep down it was worth it.
... and then you got stuck with Charlie Manuel.
Old 07-23-2001, 12:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Manuel's not a bad manager and I will never root for the Sox to tank, particularly against cleveland.
Old 07-23-2001, 12:58 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally posted by Tragg
Manuel's not a bad manager and I will never root for the Sox to tank, particularly against cleveland.
Yeah, I think JM is taking a little more heat for this season than is his fault. Although he is to blame for some of the decisions he's made (playing Royce Clayton everyday), we should look at where we've been. I mean, for a team that was once 15 games under .500 to be sitting at .500 is amazing to me.

Maybe we are also playing the injury card too much, as well, but realistically, this has been an abnormally bad year for injuries. However, the positive that can be taken from this is that when healthy, we are a deep club. To lose as many players as we have and still be at .500 is amazing. Now we have to hold this team together, and that means keeping JM manager.

Oh yeah. That b!tch Piniella is gonna pay next year!
Old 07-23-2001, 01:01 PM
Chief Geek - Security Guard

I luv it when Outcast stirs thing up.
Old 07-23-2001, 01:03 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I luv it when Outcast stirs thing up.

Looks like I have to stop those Toons in their tracks.

Mercy!
Old 07-23-2001, 04:11 PM
WSI Regular

What the Hell?

Why is this guy talking about "my Indians" here? Someone left the door open and this guy snuck in. Especially during this series, I do not want to hear any ***** from Cleveland fans. This is a White Sox forum, let's keep it that way.
Old 07-23-2001, 04:14 PM
MMXXIII

Default Re: What the Hell?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
Why is this guy talking about "my Indians" here? Someone left the door open and this guy snuck in. Especially during this series, I do not want to hear any ***** from Cleveland fans. This is a White Sox forum, let's keep it that way.
As long as he's not being a troll and saying crap like, "Yeah! Jim Thome is the best player in baseball" or "Indians rule! Sox suck!" I'm cool with it. It was an intelligent question, and sometimes it is important to hear from the other side of the story. He really didn't give us crap, and after that 2-game set at Comiskey, he had a reason to do so.
Old 07-23-2001, 04:16 PM
Chief Geek - Security Guard

Default Re: What the Hell?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
Outcast has been with us for a year. He's a pretty funny guy and isn't a troll. We also have a Twins fan who is a decent guy, ma-gaga.
Old 07-23-2001, 04:23 PM
Webmaster - French Fryer

Quote:
Outcast has been with us for a year. He's a pretty funny guy and isn't a troll. We also have a Twins fan who is a decent guy, ma-gaga.

Of course finding an intelligent Cubs fan to post here has been more difficult. It's the old rule of supply and demand I guess.

oxymoron = "intelligent Cubs fan"

Old 07-23-2001, 04:23 PM
WSI Regular

Default Don't wanna let my guard down!

Thanks for the insight. I just get so defensive when I hear people talking about their team in our house. If you guys say he's cool, then he's cool. Sorry for the reaction....