White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 04:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Dunn Considering Retirement after '14

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cws&c_id=cws

....whatever. He'll be gone from the Sox - that's what matters.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:38 PM
WSI Personality

If he wants to retire the Sox have no obligation to put him in the lineup. I hope we see less of him and more of Paulie as the season winds down.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:06 PM
WSI Prelate

If no team wants to give him big money to play after 2014, I've been guessing he would retire.

The White Sox certainly aren't going to re-sign him. unless they struck up some bargain-basement deal.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:27 PM
WSI Personality

Default Goodbye Adam

With the Labor Day Weekend coming up, maybe he'll retire at the end of the month to be with his kids when they go back to school. The sooner he leaves the better as far as I'm concerned. I don't think anybody would miss him and I would like to see what Wilkins can do the last month of the season.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:41 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
If no team wants to give him big money to play after 2014, I've been guessing he would retire.

The White Sox certainly aren't going to re-sign him. unless they struck up some bargain-basement deal.
I imagine most he'll see starting next year is single year contracts. Initially he might get $5M to DH since a guy with an .800+ OPS is probably worth that much, but if he can't hit at that level he'll be gone soon anyway.

And I don't see the Sox being interested. They can fill the position with rotating guys which I believe will become more commonplace now that the days of inflated power stats are gone.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-17-2014, 05:51 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24thStFan View Post
I hope we see less of him and more of Paulie as the season winds down.
With A. Garcia back and Paultember coming soon, I dont see Dunn getting much time soon.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I imagine most he'll see starting next year is single year contracts. Initially he might get $5M to DH since a guy with an .800+ OPS is probably worth that much, but if he can't hit at that level he'll be gone soon anyway.

And I don't see the Sox being interested. They can fill the position with rotating guys which I believe will become more commonplace now that the days of inflated power stats are gone.
I think with teams going with more relievers and going to the bullpen more often, I don't see teams carrying designated hitters the way they used to. Before the designated hitter, AL teams used to hide suspect defenders in left and at first, where the highest number of outs are made but the chances tend to be the easiest.

It wouldn't surprise me if another team picks up Dunn on waivers just before the rosters expend. I think one of the reasons the Sox played Dunn two games in right in San Francisco was to show the Giants what he could do. OF course, his play in the toughest rightfield in the majors was an adventure, but he homered in each game, demonstrating the sort of bat the Giants might want off the bench in September.

But I don't see any way the Giants, who have carried 13 pitchers on their 25-man roster most of the season, could give one of 12 non-pitching roster spots to someone who couldn't play defense, especially when they already have Morse.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

38 games left on his Sox contract.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:31 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I hope you're right. Even for a minimum deal, certain teams may benefit if he has a degree of bat discipline left---but as for the Sox, it's time for a new start in 2015. I wish him well, he seems to be a good guy in the clubhouse, but time to move on.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:51 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
38 games left on his Sox contract.
Do we do the magic number gifs and pics for this?

Just kidding!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1965 View Post
I hope you're right. Even for a minimum deal, certain teams may benefit if he has a degree of bat discipline left---but as for the Sox, it's time for a new start in 2015. I wish him well, he seems to be a good guy in the clubhouse, but time to move on.
I'd take him at $3-4 million, but no way I'd give him more. I'd rather give our younger guys a shot, and we have enough guys we could sign or put in various 1B/DH roles.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:54 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
I'd take him at $3-4 million, but no way I'd give him more. I'd rather give our younger guys a shot, and we have enough guys we could sign or put in various 1B/DH roles.
The Sox would be better off putting Viciedo at DH next year and praying the light bulb goes on. Now, I don't care for Viciedo and would prefer to move on from him, but I'd rather see him back than Dunn.

I don't think the Sox should ask Dunn back under any circumstance, at any price. Time for both the player and the club to move on.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-17-2014, 08:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
Do we do the magic number gifs and pics for this?

Just kidding!

Old 08-17-2014, 09:00 PM
WSI Personality

I hope he doesn't retire, He should go for the 500 homeruns. He could be a fun argument for The Hall of Fame someday. I always wondered if Dave Kingman reached 500 homeruns, if he woulda made it. With Dunn, we could actually find out.

I would think some celler dweller team would love a guy like him.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
The Sox would be better off putting Viciedo at DH next year and praying the light bulb goes on. Now, I don't care for Viciedo and would prefer to move on from him, but I'd rather see him back than Dunn.

I don't think the Sox should ask Dunn back under any circumstance, at any price. Time for both the player and the club to move on.
I think you can insert any major league team in the bolded above. He's done. And good riddance.
Closed Thread